Skip to content
Options

Da Vinci Team to visit HK from July 30 to August 3

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    I only knew about its name when Voy/Jeff/Keith discussed this in the forum. PT did not tell me even when I decided to downsize my CD system. He told me one night after both of us went to listen to a Boulder setup. When he was in that place, he asked about the S/N ratio of the Boulder DAC and he told me after we left that if there is a DAC at 127db S/N while the Boulder is 117db, which one would you think is more dynamic, I was speechless at that moment because I was already very impressed by the Boulder DAC.

Marvel
  • Options
    Voy I just use the power cord that came with it, I think it is a 'purist audio' design I believe, to be honest I am not a great beliver in the difference between power cords, I would be interested to hear what you all think of the Vekian, here I have compared it to a number of 'pro' audio dacs the Prism da2 and the Lavry 924 , MSB Platinum and a number of 'statement' cd players including the DCs Scarlatti, Naim 555 and Meridian 808 etc, I don't think the differences in dacs are huge but the Vekian is very good, it is extremely 'quiet' ( perhaps thats the dynamic range ) and in many respects is not dissimilar to my vinyl , TW/Graham/ Dynavector XV1S, I will interested to hear what yo guys make of it, very best wishes,Keith.
    btw have any of you experimented with ' hard disc' playback?
  • Options
    dear friends,
    I haven't had much experience with many state-of-the-art CD players/DAC/Transport etc, the CD player I'm really familar is the Zanden combo, it has its strengths and weaknesses which I shall not repeat.However, given today's technology and resources employed towards its development for service to music, my conclusion is that the line between LP and CD is NOT vaguely drawn.
  • Options
    I very much like such low profile way of introducing exotic stuff. It is less commercial. When we feel comfortable to share comments, presumably it is after thorough burn-in and better integration with the overall system.

The Vekian has the stability of the Boulder 2020 advance, but more quiet and much more dynamic. The boulder does not belong to the league of the Vekian. The good news is much cheaper to bring one home.

This is not the most impressive part. The magic is in the mid range. It is truely natural, that is not induced by the element of tube nor artifical warming of the lower mid-range. Because of this rare quality, the sound of violin/vocal if the recording is good enough, I stop asking myself whether it is vinyl-like or anything that is equivalent of "non-digital"

• Options
    I agree , with every other dac/cdp I have owned I have knd of found myself comparing it to vinyl, some dacs have been very 'sharp' and some float the sound on a cotton wool cloud , even the lavry which I like sounds a bit thin and flat compared to vinyl but with the Vekian I find myself just happy with it, I am looking forward to hearing some of the new 'hi-res' files played through it, just not quite sure which path ( PC or MAC ) to take, I have spoken to Mike Stahl and asked him to make something definative and future proof , take care of yourselves, regards Keith.
  • Options
    The Unison turntable by Da Vinci in Silver
  • Options
    Unison on the way to Hong Kong