Skip to content
Options

The F.L.O.W. Forum

Comments

• Options
    Marvel,

The ownership of Telos2500 does not make me an icon. They are good amps. They deliver what an mega amp should suppose to do. The uncomfortable part is the price. I happened to like the sound I listened in one occasion cos it did not sound like any previous goldmund amps, a very critical factor in my purchase decision. The bass is beefy with control, finally, and only up to this price point the boss decide to offer everything complete. This is audio conscience I suppose.

I am done with transistor sound. The cleanness of solid state sounds clincal. Through the introduction of Jlam's father, I got a chance to listen to the Karan preamp and mono amp in Hangzhou two weeks ago. The speakers are the big dyna flagship. I don't remember model name. I find the Karan has even better control than my T2500. This is apparent in symphonies. The sound is warmer than T2500 but extremely transparent. The warmth is natural, just about right. Jlam reminds me clean does not mean transparent. Clean can be seen as coloration if it is overdone.

Last week I visited an AE customer in Beijing. I spot the wavac 833. The transistor sound is totally absent. The cleanliness is not there. Music flows out with ease. When I return to my system, the T2500 does everything more and better in isolation but I just cannot involve in the music as easily as the system in hangzhou and the latest wavac system.

Don't call me an icon when I am not satisifed with the investment I spent on crazy amps. I feel like a fool.

Zil
  • Options
    Zil, I am sure Marvel bro would love to buy your T-Rex. Don't you know he is a big fan of Swiss Candy? The pride of ownership is always a "wow" factor in audio consumerism. Damn the conscience thing! Fame is the real deal!

You sound like a Zillion guy who can flip between amps like T-Rex, Darth Vader, and the big Golden Tiger with ease. If the big cat in gold fails you again, would your fool feeling double up? Could that be other factors you may overlook in your present setup. Room acoustics, phasing, speaker positioning, cables, ac conditioner etc, if not right, can destroy the sound real hard. Check everything before jumping ship. You may have a zillion to spare but that fool feeling is not easy to swallow.

Are you using the 3-in-1 robot speakers from swiss candy?
  • Options
    Marvel,

Are you intend to own the T2500? Shipping from Beijing to Hong Kong is easy. We can discuss privately if you are "seriously" interest.. I am done with transistor sound. The T2500 is very good amp but it is simply not my route right now to stay any longer with solid state.

Zil
  • Options
    Zil,

The only SS power amp that I have in mind is the Karan monoblocks. I have heard the stereo version and think in my small place, such would be more than enough. But music/hi-fi is not something about 'enough' or 'not enough', I think it is all about how much details you can flush out from the recordings and how much you can tame within the listening area without being distorted by the room acoustics. So my target is still the Karan mono. Of course, 'enough' and 'not enough' is more on the $$ that one has to buy all these exotic stuff.

But thanks for your offering of the T2500 and it would definitely be a pleasure and an experience for me to have to a chance to listen to it.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

Never mind. I wil sell the T-amp in Beijing. No big deal.

Yesterday, I read through all the thread in this forum. Some of them made me laugh. What a group here!

Where is your matching German bomber for the famous German tank? Your Neo speaker is popular in China. Oh you are the 6moon man, I only found out last night. Your listening place is described as a reference by Mr.Srajan, so everyone call you big brother here. Your stuff is really exotic. That is the way to go. All these big labels got me very little music. My wife teaches music in Beijing, always hated the expensive T Rex. She once told her piano students to listen to my system on some piano music, teach them this is the incorrect tone that they should avoid! She always says too clean. Jlam says clean is another form of coloration. Hard to understand and swallow. After listen more and more, I pick up what they meant.

Are you a good friend of Voy?

Z
  • Options
    Marvel bro is my idol, more than a friend.
  • Options
    Marvel大哥大也是我的偶象!連條鬼佬也話佢攪得掂間惡聲房。點解唔見你玩黑膠?你地成日講von stade是乜東東?你知啦我英文有限公司。
  • Options
    My turntable will be ready in 1-2 weeks' time ready for shipping out from TW Acoustics. I am totally new in this arena and would need a lot of experience sharing in this forum and from the resident vinyl veteran in AE to help me.

I expect the whole setup won't be ready until end Mar when my SRA Craz rack is delivered and before that, my turntable will sit on the existing racks.

• Options
    Marvel, what is your phono stage?
  • Options
    Patrick,

It would be the build in phono on the Tron Syren preamp. I think it should be more than adequate for a beginner like me. There are however a number of phono which I am interested to consider in the future: Zanden, Lyra Connoisseurs, Wavac, Walker Audio. Do you or any veteran in this field have any recommendations?

Marvel
  • Options
    嘩!Marvel大哥大都好串下。
  • Options
    Marvel, it is very humble of you to say you are a beginner. The machine you use is very expensive. The future choices are all expensive as well. A beginner dosen't use this level of machine. I use Tron Seven phono.
  • Options
    Marvel,

I listened to all phono except walker. The Lyra similar to Tron - very dynamic, clean, transparent. The syren has more of everything Lyra has. Zanden, we both learn well - balance, silky and live. Wavac - ease, magical mid range, excellent energy control.

After encouter DV in Alex system, I have a bias on Wavac.

Hung
  • Options
    I am really a beginner on LP although like 23 years ago when I had my first hi-fi system, I bought a Technics turntable.

Tron Seven is very good and I heard it a few times. I believe the phono stage inside the Syren would share similar attributes, if not better.

I am glad to get the immediate advice from Professor Hung. Honestly I am also inclined to Wavac on its flexibility to mate with different cartridges and its unique LCR design (similar to DaVinci). On the other hand, my 'adventurous' side also wants to try some solid state phono because AE almost gets all the renowned tube phono: Zanden, Wavac, DV, Syren with the exception of perhaps Kondo. AE does NOT carry any SS phono, does it mean SS is really no good at all? I know I might have opened a topic for debate on SS phono vs tube phono, but as long as the debates are constructive and objective, this is precisely why we have a forum place.

$$ aside for the moment, come on guys, best SS phono and best tube phono, views please....

Marvel

• Options
    Marvel, not easy going back to solid state for you. Your tube components are the best of the best. The adventuruous side of yours, if I look at what you are currently using, should be gone long time ago. Are you trying to become young again?

The question is not good or bad. May I ask why do you like tubes? If tubes can do what solid state can do plus more, what is the logic of going back to ss? 6moon reported Marvel bro perform all kind of music well with a complete tube electronic suite in an acoustic hell.

I like people challenge the norm, what is the rationale behind other than adventurous? Merely for changes? Or you are too lonely top there on the hill?

If I were you, I probably consider seriously going into the high eff camp, not solid state verus tube phonoe. Just my 2 cents :)