Skip to content
Options

The F.L.O.W. Forum

Comments

• Options
    Ken, I agree with you. The FMR on wavac ec300b is doing musical magic. The soundstage is filled with unforceful energy and details.
  • Options
    Finally, after waiting for the a couple of months, FMR finally arrived last Fri. Though it was about 10pm, still need to try it out quickly given the promising experience of FR on my MD300B. However the relatively stiff FMR caused a little trouble in connection. Finally, the connections were temporarily fixed with FR installed for Raven AC and FMR for MD300B.

Even without run in, the whole system was energised naturally. The improvement on bass extension was remarkable like my FAL EX90 parted with a woofer.

Before FR and FMR arrived , I seldom listened to Symphonies because thats definitely not the strength of 300B + FAL. My recent interest on Symphonies was arouse by a popular Japanese TV series. But the playback was of course not up to expectatation. However, FMR brought new life to the combination. Another area tha I need to spend more effort to learn how to "appreciate".

Last night PT asked me if I can upload the photo for sharing. I said OK and that's a good reason for me to reposition all my gears as the FR and FMR were temporarily hooked up and didnt look properly. I spent another 30min to put my amp on the floor so that FMR can "stretch" naturally. After pushing the power button, started playing the Prelude of Bizet Carmen Suite, the magic comes agains. The impact was so immediate and powerful. The air of excitment just flow and I cant stop tapping my toes. I didnt change amp and speakers but as other AE fellows commented, the difference was day and night. FMR needs proper run-in, it need to be naturally stretched and it is very very suitable for power amp.

I used to find Anna Netrebko's violetta a bit "dull". All the changes made after FR and FMR installation,etc changed my impression. It is now so transparent to "see" Anna and Rolando's performance on the stage, "delivered with emotion and breath-taking virtuosity." A totally new experience to me.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Raven AC with FR
  • Options
    Should be this one.
  • Options
    Shanghai brother,

What a nice LP system you have up there! The Raven is excellent turntable. I agree with you FMR is very good for the power amp. My ongaku basically woke up! What linestage is yours?

• Options
    Shanghai dude, what's that tofu under the flow? Isn't it crazy the motor of the big bird loves the flow? What's the big bird response to the white snake?.

I love Anna too. She's never dull From your description, I know you got her right. She's pure ear-gasm!

VR
  • Options
    Voy how do you rate Magdalena? Her latest album with Simon Rattle is well performed/recorded. Mozart believes his arias could be accurately measured for a voice. I don't quite understand how an aria be tailored made for any specific voice. Magdalena articulates mozart's arias with simplicity, sometimes a bit flowery versus to classical perfomer like Frederick von stade that everything seems to like her in the AE universe. But isn't mozart is about youthfulness, a bit impulsive and proud? Anna's interpretation, perhaps due to her Russian origin, is more reserved and controlled. I never doubt her vocal artistry. I'm curious to know your thoughts on Anna's interpretation of various role-playing of Mozart's major opera works.

Back to the Flow, I agree the musical observation of everyone wrote before me. One minor point to add: This is the only cable that does not disrupt or roll off the vocal energy at high register, even leading edges of high pitch notes is clearly felt. It makes me enjoy music much more. Like you, I am a big fan of opera.

I listened to the Zanden 9600 (with KR 845 tubes) in PT's home this afternoon. I was touched. Magdelena sings. The KR has very wide dynamic range. The high frequency area is stunnining clear. Later, I discovered there were no flow in that system. All are wired by level one mark 2 powercord with one SMR EE wooden block powercord. I wondered what if he flows up this system.

• Options
    I am thrilled, Stan, because you know the stuff. Magdalena is spontaneous. If you equate spontaneity to youthfulness, you're quite right. History does show Mozart was an impulsive chap. I love Anna because of her lyrical quality. She sings with great refinement of tone and ease of articulation. Anna's voice is always in control even the orchestral sound is confined and lacking in bloom. Magdalena is too polished for my taste despite spontaneity. The show-off part is definitely Mozart but the over-polish part isn't. Once or twice her intonation seems marginally under stress when I checked her up live in Europe 2 years ago.

Stan, keep it up. We need more musical languages in this space.

The Zanden 9600 is interesting. I wondered how it compare to Marvel bro's famous German tank.

VR
  • Options
    Ugh.

I have been poisoned by KC. If I got eletricuted when moving my Ongaku trying to stick the FMR in, it's all KC's falut :-)

Actually I wasn't expecting this many Ongaku owner's around. I know of six already!
  • Options
    Matthew,

I advised you not to do that because your space is very tight. Also, you little boy may touch the Ongaku if it sticks out of the rack. Your current setting is good enough. Don't be poisoned by Ken and Big piece who have the luxury of space to use FMR on their tube amps.

PT
  • Options
    Hmmm, Voy, you are quite right. Are you using FMR with your amp?
  • Options
    I am interest to know more FMR experience driving ongaku. Matthew, I am a Kondo user in Taipei. Kharma is quite difficult to drive in our experience here. The midrange is easy, the bass is not. What preamp is yours? I use ongaku drive Horning Eufrodite and result is good. But I cannot reproduce the quality of soprano heard in AE showroom.

Hung
  • Options
    Hung,

My experiences w/ Kharma speakers are limited to the CE3.1, 2.2 and the Exquisite Mini, and all in an acoustically challenged room (mine, where they have to be placed in a recessed area, or "hole" 9ft wide x 2ft deep, so they are only about 1ft from the wall). But in any case, I had Nagra MPA driving B&W 802 before the Kharmas, and I never felt lack of bass with the Kharmas. The combo I had was Linn Chakra Twin driving Ceramique 3.1, FM Acoustics FM411 driving CE2.2 and Ongaku driving the Mini. The Mini is only a month old so not quite broken in yet.

In all, I think the Kharma 2-ways are significantly easier to drive than the 3-ways, except the Exquisite Ref 1A (or B). For a brief period I had the Chakra Twin driving the 2.2 when I upgraded from the CE3.1 and the result was less than optimal. The FM411 did much better. On the other hand, the Ongaku driving the Mini is OK. Not great, but acceptable. My friend is using Ongaku to drive the Ref 1B, and the result was actually respectable. So I think as long as you stay away from the models using Eton units, the Kharams are actually not hard to drive. I think the hardest to driver one is the Exquisite Midi, and I think PT and attest to that.

• Options
    Voy, the Tofu is originally designed for my FAL speakers. I have a few left that can be perfectly used to hold the FR and FMR plug to the amp/Raven power supply.

If you are using Raven AC, FLOW is a "must try" option.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Matthew, did you try FMR with ongaku? I am contemplating to buy another one for the electrical strip as the main cord going to the wall sockets.