Skip to content
Options

The F.L.O.W. Forum

Comments

• Options
    Ken,

No I have not. The physical setup I have currently makes connecting the FR or FMR an exercise in gymnastics, and a bit risky.

OTOH, I did use the FMR to feed the Orb power strip and then have everything plugged into it. transport, dac and ongaku were plugged into the Orb using ACz, FR and ACz respectively. It was very good. I then changed my wall outlet to a 4x US socket and have my transport and dac plugged directly into the wall via FR and FMR respectively. The Ongaku plugged directly into the wall as well using ACz. The second setup was better, and is more flexible as well.

But if that is not possible for you, then by all means get another FMR. More are coming this week I was told.....

BTW, are you using any pre-amp w/ your ongaku? Another owner reported drastic improvement in dynamics and sound stage size once he plugged in the M7 II-K. M77 may be even better.....
  • Options
    FMR with the dac, is it better than it with the transport? I have no preamp. The Zanden 2000p/5000s has enough gain to drive Ongaku for the Avantgarde.

My theory of Kondo is - the less Kondo component in the chain is better. I like the mid-range coloration. Adding the preamp adds an extra layer of coloration with no real improvement in dynamic but energy. My requirement on dynamic is stringent. Good dynamic must deliver with good control of energy. Adding a M77 increases energy but not better control.

• Options
    Marvel大哥大,借問兩條FMR在你對無敵膽後級咩料?
  • Options
    I have not yet got the 2nd one yet. Still waiting....
  • Options
    Hallo, my fellow audio net buddies. Just back from the UK after visting my folks there. Now that they are out of the hospital, I feel better to refocus on my audio.

I miss my syren so much. I am curious why Marvel bro has no more writings and comments on his silver bat. I miss mine like just as much as my old day lovers. Are you done with it, Marvel? How about you, Voy?

So much seem to have written on the FLOW lately in a short period of time. I don't have to think twice when respected audio icon here complimented so much about the merits of a power cable, how strange and how I am not that surprise upon 2nd thought. Isn't it unbelievable Marvel bro got only one?

When I called Jlam this afternoon, he was in the attorney's office doing audio stuff said he. His returning call was a disappointing one as all Flow are sold including the batch coming this Sat. All I want is a FR. I am always a bit reserved - the bravey goes to Voy, Marvel bro and many other new fellows here.

Marvel bro, have you tried the Flow on your syren? I'm getting ready for a thrill-ride of your audio action again.

Kingston
  • Options
    Ken,

I haven't done the comparison beteen FR and FMR on the DAC. I plugged t he FMR straight into the Goldmund 20M as soon as I freed it up (it was plugged into my power strip before). So I can't tell you how it would be like, as I don't have more FLOWs to keep the rest of the cabling constant.

In terms of gain, I find that w/ my current speaker (Kharma Exquisite Mini, 89db sensitive), normal listing level will be about 9-10 o'clock volume knob setting). I am just curious how you managed the volume given the AvantGardes are over 100db sensitive (assuming you have the stepped volume).....
  • Options
    Hi Rob, I report the syren loves the FR. For music lover, the flow does everything right. You will not go wrong with FR.
  • Options
    Hi, Robert,

I am using FMR on Syren and if there were one and only one FMR that one has, I would recommend using it on the preamp. Syren continues to serving me well and I am looking forward to using its silver phono stage when my 3-motor Raven AC turntable arrives (not sure when). Srajan came to my place a couple of months ago listening to Syren. He commented that the leading edge of the music notes is more apparent under Syren compared to Karan while the later has a fuller body and harmonic tail. With FMR, such gap seems to have been narrowed and I can feel the toality and depiction of the flow of musical notes between Syren and Karan seems to converge towards my perceived neutrality (understandably the absolute neutrality is difficult to identify).

You may question why then there is a bigger gap when Syren and Karan were using SMR EE power. FMR is not about total energy conservation so the amount of energy loss from one end of the cable to another may be say, 5% while for SMR EE, the amont of energy loss is only say, 2%. So comparatively speaking the dynamic contrast and transient that one can feel from using SMR EE is slightly more transparent than FMR in which case, observations like Syren is more leading edge while Karan is on a fuller body become more apparent under SMR EE. I have repeatedly compared this in both Karan and Syren to draw this conclusion.

With SMR and SMR EE power cords in my system for over 2 years, FMR is one of the two power cables that could stand up on ABAB comparison without a 20-sec direct knock-out. The other one is the Ayon Dragon which comes very close to SMR but Total Knock Out by SMR EE also within 20secs. FMR, no doubt better than SMR (in my best recollection of what SMR was as I have no more SMR now). I am longing for the final comparison between FMR and SMR EE on the power amp....

Marvel

• Options
    The major design goal of the FMR is to outperform the SMR EE. One of the attributes that the designer has identified is that SMR EE can not go as deep as the FMR - an attribute agreed by numerous musicians during blind test in Denmark. However, in order to reach this goal, the energy disperson at the lowest octave cannot be as thorough as SMR EE. If we are talking about the abundance of energy in the low register, the SMR EE has more vibrancy. FMR, on the other hand, has better linearity to the lowest octave. Depending on your musical preference, one may suit better than the other. But the best of both worlds is to have both - i.e. Marvel bro's supremely neutral system.
  • Options
    In the end, there is no real winner depending on position you applied the cord. The FMR cannot entirely outpeform SMR EE; but SMR EE at the same time cannot go as deep as FMR. Not too many speakers and acoustic environment allow the reproduction of the deepest notes alongside bass subsonics. As a result, the vibrancy of SMR EE's energy disperson is an attribute that most would die for.
  • Options
    Matthew, the zanden dac's gain level is 1v, lower than many other dacs' +2v. The preamp is missing in the chain. I don't have any problem with volume.

With a bit of luck, I managed to get an extra FR. I am curious to know what is the difference between the FR and FMR on the ongaku, did the swap, and here is what I think. Either the FR and FMR on the ongaku, I am allowed to listen to the 211 and the circuit more. The FMR has more details and energy but the FR does not fail the essence and vitality of music either.

After listening the ACz with the ongaku for a long time, what you will miss after you plug/FR/FMR is the "slow motion" in the mid-range that makes it easier and artisitically pleasing to the ears. I asked myself, " if this is the original notion of Kondo sound, I have big difficulty to understand Kondo is a big fan of Toscanini." Emotionally, I can feel the passion embedded in the amp but something is wrong. Passion is not about rhythm distortion. Go back to the recording of Toscanini's latter works with NBC, his vibrancy was still rampant.

The AcZ could well be the invisible barrier preventing from you to understand the Kondo sound. When it was replaced by FR, the rhythm normalized.

Don't throw stones at me, other Kondo fans. I seldom participate in other forum because the "norm" always dictates regardless right or wrong.

Jlam, thanks for such liberal space for me to share with other open mind audiophiles in this niche circle.

• Options
    唉! 去買又話賣晒!激死!引死人咩!你地可否唔再講住,我就毒死喇!
  • Options
    Me too. Tired of waiting. All I need is two FR to flow my 29.4M.
  • Options
    The audio action of this group is intense. I agree with Ken Chiu abt all the bullshits out there anything is wrong without confirming to the norm. I always listen with my ears.

The SMR EE power is nothing but state of the art. I have 2 running with Telos 2500. Only EE can drive to the limit of 2500, and sorry not the Goldmund powercord. I tried all powercords on earth to mate with the T2500. My own ears judge the EE to be the champ simply I can listen more music with the EE/T2500. It does the job and so I buy it. Really appreciate Jlam for letting your own cords for me to try.

I once seen a T2500 user running a opus turtle speaker cable on the web. I pity him. He better checks the bandwidth of the turtle. The T2500's ultra wide band circuit dosent like capacitor or any filtering devices in the signal chain. Isn't it funny there is always someone willing to pay big bucks to kill performance in exchange for recognition by the norm? Audio automatically boils down to personal preferences when one fails to understand the logics and the sciences, and most don't give a damn to music. Preferences vary, that's sure, but not for saving face and running away from illogical thinking.

PT, I am not sure what is the meaning of deepest octave. Can you elaborate? Without the privileges like other icon here, I have no chance to buy the FMRs yet.

Jlam, do you recommend me to use FMR with the upcoming Wavac 833 mono amp?

Zil (from Beijing)
  • Options
    Zil,

Write and contribute more in this forum and surely would become an icon soon. Wow, SMR EE on Telos2500. I have not listened to 2500 but according to PT, it is a 'real deal' by GM. Are you going to replace 2500 with 833?

Marvel