Skip to content
Options

The F.L.O.W. Forum

Dear Flow Fans,

Due to the overwhelming success of the FLOW powercord by Argento, I have opened a new thread dedicated entirely to anything about your experience of this power cable. Alec's fine English writing on "FMR - the lady who wears Mikimoto" . Mr.Ho's lively description of the FMR experience and Marvel bro's actual field expereince of the cable have respectively inspired the curiosity of many and challenged the skepticism of many at the same time.

Personally, I caution anyone who wish to compare the FLOW with other powercords in the market with the conventional static Hi Fi terminology comparison not to waste time and money, it is not designed to energize certain frequency range to impress or steal attention. There will be no earthquaking bass, honey mid range and early rolled off trebel. What it concerns the most is the FLOW of one musical note to another. If your concept of music is still restricted to the conventional 3-parts (treble, mid and bass) and 2-modes (thick and thin) analysis, better spend time elsewhere too.

I strongly encourage fellow fans of FMR or FR to share their "FEELINGS" of using them. Decribe either in Chinese or English your musical commumication after applying them anywhere in the chain. You are welcome to share negative results here as well. We want to know your "subjective musical" experience.

Once again, AE is grateful of the instant success of FLOW, not merely from the business perspective, but the fact that the number of audio connoseuir who can communicate in musical sense is far bigger than expectation. AE hopes to cultivate new attitude in high end 2-channel audio. Your warm participation has accelerated the fast growing musical universe of AE in an exponential manner. I am thrilled. I hope you are thrilled too.

J.Lam Music Nation

Comments

• Options
    I have ordered another FMR for the upcoming Raven AC turntable after trying my existing one on the preamp for a few weeks although PT recommends me to use FR would be adequate. I heard that Thomas, the designer of Raven AC, is already use FR on his Raven AC and I saw the 'LP Prince of Shanghai: Bigpiece' taking his new FR back to Shanghai happily last week. His another new FMR is now on its way to Shanghai and I wonder where he would use it.

FMR is neither an 'energizer' nor a 'smoothener'. It just lubricates the way music is flowing out and I am kept amazed by how Ulrik can come up with such simple but 'no-second-choice' description.

There is yet one place that I have not applied FMR for trial, it is the monoblock power amp which my forthcoming 2nd one would help me to put this into reality.

Marvel
  • Options
    My experience of two FRs for the tron cantata 300B is shocking too. The Tron has by far the most open and transparent sound I have ever heard. When the Flows are serving the cantata, I feel like going into a whole new dimension of immediacy. The flow of each lyrical lines always develops with right tempo, articulation, and finesse without overdosing them. Everything just flows up! I have yet to try the FR on the LP. My Raven is still in Germany.

Marvel bro, from your description of the FMR, I concur everything you describe on this magnificient cable. Other than power amplifier, your experiences seem to be tremendous. You don't have to worry where Shanghai Prince will put the FMR into service. I bet the hot spot will be the power amp. Don't you think so?

Where the hell are those remaining FMRs now? I got no FMRs. Does Marvel bro grab mine too?

VR

• Options
    Voy,

FMR is in extreme shortage and Shanghai LP Prince has already got a FR, I want to hijack his FMR and let him wait for the next shipment.

I suspect the most rational way to use these cables is to use FR on transport, DAC, preamp and use FMR on power distributors and power amp. But who says audiophiles are rational?? I would use FMR to maximise its benefit to the system but right now is also constrained by the supply shortage! No joking.

Voy, if you try one FR/FMR on the Zanden 2000P transport, you will be immediately stunned. It just makes the I2S digital interface more lucid like a fresh dose of morning mist. Compared to the SMR EE digital, I2S interface is already a miracle to me but still it is a bit tonally 'dry' but with FMR, vocal has more moist, violin and piano have more 'wood'. The way FMR expresses the timbre is subtle but natural making the images floating in the air with lives. I 'toggle' among places with only one FMR and find it sometimes very inconvenient to tell the incremental difference. Having at least two is ideal.

I should stop writing on FMR as it would only add more delay on the delivery of the FMR to me.

Marvel
  • Options
    首先說明我只是一個窮燒友。我月入也只不過是只得萬多元,根本無可能買萬多元條線。我經巧合下拜訪過AE showroom,我所聽到的是很真實的音樂,悅耳動聽得來又不是拖泥帶水式扮有音樂感的那種慢聲,十分自然舒暢。負責人突然拿出了一條白色的電源線叫FLOW,他把原有插進前級的跟基線換了它,然後再聽。

換線這種昂貴敗家遊戲是我最反感的,好多時變來變去得個吉,但這條白蛇好鬼神奇,我覺得音聲背好的靈魂好似突然出了來,樂韻好多細節但又好流暢,高低去得好盡。這種流暢又不是滑甜的一類,對我來說是新感受。回到家後常常想起FLOW的聲音,在家聽了幾天也冇法忘記那種感受。最後在雙糧誘惑力下致電負責人,但出奇的是佢叫我唔好買因為用了它後,他不能擔保條FLOW在我系統裡會否有同樣效果。我心想有冇攪錯呀,有生意都唔做!點不知佢走到入元朗試給我即場試。

我即用了在我部Audio Note M3前級,播隻陳潔麗聽聽先,雖然遠AE不及的水準,但那種自然舒暢感使我即刻著了迷,我再試詠兒,把聲好真好透,我只好投降比錢,但負責人又話冇貨!我真係被佢激死!佢話連demo這也在入元朗前買了!我問他為什麼還要浪費時間入新界,佢話這是AE的服務態度,亦想幫我了結件心事。我真係吃漲,更要寫個服字。

心裡盼望這只是短暫的衝動,但一天一天的過去,但我始終對FLOW念念不忘.......

• Options
    志雄 你住那裡 我都是住元朗
  • Options
    I received 2 Flow References (S/N 6 and 8) from PT a couple of days ago. I bought them just on the advice of PT for my new Wavac 805s. (See review 'The Incomparable Wavac 805s'. My current PCs were the Elrod Signatures. The Elrods have been reviewed to death everywhere and are supposedly one of the 'top' PCs around. Wow! were the reviews ALL WRONG!
    The Flows seemed to OPEN up the floodgates. There was just more of everything. I have tried PCs from Elrod, Shunyata, Electraglide, PAD and Cardas. Never have I heard so much difference (positive) in the sound after putting the Flows in. I am now going to replace all my PCs with the Flows.
    One minor point against it though. The electrical outlets for my Amps are not earthed and are directly connected to the mains. After putting the Flows in, I found that my Amps became a little sensitive to slight electrical disturbances in my apartment. I'm hearing occasional blips when the heater or airconditoner is switched on and off. This never happened with the Elrods.
    Don't know why, but wondering if this is due to the extensive shielding the Elrod provides vs the Flows. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Options
    The Flows connected to my wall outlets
  • Options
    Butcher, 我住在唐人新村金碧花園,你有冇FLOW ?
  • Options
    Attention to the details is what you can see from the above picture where the self-developed connectors are plugging well into the socket to ensure the best contact. Despite the FMR is still be bit stiff, I find the connectors are so well designed that they fit extremely well on both ends. This is not even the case for some of my SMR EE power cords where Argento was using off the shelf connectors.

Marvel
  • Options
    What is the difference between SMR EE and FMR? I am interested to know their differences.
  • Options
    Alan,

SMR EE represents the state-of-the-art power cord that I have ever used meeting all expectations whatsoever that one might put to evaluate a power cord in a h-fi system. Yes, there might be still another power cord which excel SMR EE in a certain attribute on a particular component, but so far I have not met one. Stealing the comment by my Taiwanese friend, Jeff on his view of the Shindo Petrus preamp. This SMR EE impresses me because it does not have anything to impress me. It is neutral, balance, transmission at full speed and with full spectrum, nothing less and nothing more.

FMR represents another school of thought, it does not colorate on any hi-fi attributes that I can think of but in summation, it gives a tonal picture with flying colors, coherent, pure, natural and replicating my above comment, lucid like a dose of morning mist.

SMR EE and FMR are very close in terms of neutrality and balance but yet they are far apart in terms of how they interpret musicality to you. Get a chance to listen to both of them and save my poor English.

Marvel
  • Options
    The SMR EE still delivers unbelievable timbre realism to my ears. Energy distribution is even. The control of bass energy is superb - I am in charge type of bass similar to the comments of the wavac fellow in his review of the 805. The mid range is lucid and the trebel is as pure as spring in the swiss alps. There is a strong sense of serenity attached to the music.

Believe it or not, the Flow is the missing puzzle that sews everything together - maybe that's why it called FLOW. What it concerns is the melodic flow logistics of the musical notes. That is what makes the music flows. Resident cable expert, Marvel bro may provide more thoughts on this.

I don't care too much about the cosmetics or the damn stupid plug as long as it delivers. Marvel bro, does your tron syren or german tank uses off-the-shelf IEC female plug? Does it compromise the peformance of your silver bat? Isn't the design should be viewed as one package?

The development of Argento is interesting.

VR
  • Options
    我沒有呀, 我只是two argento mkii power cord for my two orpheus mono block, 我住在朗庭園
  • Options
    I use the FR in the Tron seven reference phono. The result is more than positive. My English not so good but I feel music very smooth flowing out. The details are all over, very high resolution but very smooth. No words to describe, a new experience that is not too hi fi sounding. A New experience to me.
  • Options
    I have ordered a FMR since last year but of course, keep queuing. PT asked me to try FR but I was a bit skeptical especially when Marvel Bro suggested me to go straight to FMR.

Well, I visited the showroom last time when I was in HK. PT installed FR on Raven AC after I had listened to the Shindo - horning combo for 90min. The result was shocking as the installation of FR just like switching from CD to LP.

The first comment I made to PT was "Is there anything wrong?" Which means

1. Raven AC, how come it is so sensitive to PC?
    2. The original PC should be thrown away given its high price tag (USD4K)
    3. FR is a bargain, I suspect it is under priced based on other products available in the market

The result is to pay the bill.

After returning to Shanghai, I didnt install FR to Raven AC immediately but I tried using another powerful PC. The conclusion is Raven is very sensitive to PC. The characteristics of the PC can be easily revealed. But my wife subsequently said it was a bit "blur". So I installed FR and the result is "Bravo". My big boss endorsed the purchase with comment like, much clearer, refined, articulated, and improved depth.

I further tried FR on the 300B, and the result is very positive. PT told me that my FMR arrived. I cant wait anymore and asked my friend to hand deliver the long awaited PC to me this Fri........