Skip to content
Options

Money for Nothing, Chicks for Free - Genesis of FMR

Comments

• Options
    Hey guys, what this thread stopped after a few series of exchange in Chinese?

Where is the Tidal dude with the donkey sweather? Come on, tell us more story about your "quest for neutrality".
  • Options
    Suddently, all went quiet on the forum in anticipation of the ??? product launch. I think we just have to prepare for the collateral damage.

Over the weekend, I experimented a few more impedence setting to mate the Preos phono with the DV cartridge. At 47 ohms, the bass presentation can no longer hold together. By Sunday nite, I have temporaily settled for 67 ohms which to me sounds more balance. A slight headache that I am running into is the constant static noise that is coming through. I am sure it is not a result of grounding or loosed connections. PT thinks the power line is reversed phase - I need to check tonight.

Another shock was the lost in details and body when I slotted in a Flow IC for FMR. I had never heard a triangle to be so colorful under FMR, the Flow more or less reduce it to B&W. Still as smooth but it is a different world. Boy, it is so hard to trek downhill... and it hurts.

• Options
    Your turntable probably is not grounded. Find a place to ground the turntable. Try different locations - this type of problem is really pain in the ass.
  • Options
    I tried all grounding points for my TT (incl. the Preos gnd post) but still the noise persists. When I use it with the Zanden, there is no such problem and I owe it to the subsonic filter.

• Options
    Alecy Hing, do you test the electric phase? It may casue the hum according my experience. Like the ORB kyoto is invert-phase.
  • Options
    Strip the ground cable out from the power supply of the turntable.
  • Options
    Checked all the power lines and sockets - all the phases are correct.

Lifted the ground wire off the TT - no avail.

I even gone the final step of removing all cables & cords with the exception of the pre and power amp; lifted the ground wire of the Pre so the only point of ground contact is via the power amp - the noise still persists.

May be the Trojan Horse of Tripoint can save my day!!!

• Options
    Alecy,
    Other than Flow and FMR, do you have any other interconnect which you can try connecting your TT with Preos? Are you using Tidal' s phono or you are using the Zanden? I had a hum sound some weeks ago whenever I use the TT to connect with the Tidal phono. Of course I tried everything I could imagine and asked both the electrical and LP engineers of AE to help. The hum sound went away after I used the SMR EE interconnect from the TT into the Preos...probably the contact of the FMr/Flow connectors is not coupling well with the Preos.
    Try to see if it works.
    Marvel
  • Options
    That is abnormal. Could that be the hum originate from the Preos phono?
  • Options
    Finally got my pair of gorgeous FMR speaker cable last night.
  • Options
    Brief listening for 3 hours just confirmed that its the final piece of puzzle that facilitate free flow of music. I guess I started realising what other fellows mean getting closer to the music. The feeling is just like 打通经脉, 高潮一波友一搏!.
  • Options
    should be 高潮一波又一波。
  • Options
    Shanghai dude, my desire is growing fiercely for a double FMR run on my Algame. But I am very happy with double EE now, no complaint at all. I'd probably get one pair to run in parallel with EE.
  • Options
    VoyR,

It will be a disservice to Algame not to run it with FMR. How can you tolerate bottleneck...

• Options
    Tidal dude, i couldn't resist the temptation and bite the bullet yesterday for double run.