Skip to content
Options

Money for Nothing, Chicks for Free - Genesis of FMR

Comments

• Options
    Dont' forget to put SRA under the amp. How would you describe the dynamic now? I mean it is not from the FMR spk cable but rather the FMR allows you to understand the true dynamic of your system. By the way, the tubey Zanden can be freakingly dynmaic after connected to the FMR. That mellow sound still there but dynamic is just freaking.
  • Options
    VoyR,

The improvement in overall dynamic is quite remarkable and there is a very pleasing enrichment on informational content. It is pleasing in a sense that it is not jumping out to grasp you but just being there all the time naturally and from end to end.

However, I did note there is a tint of muddiness and dynamic lag in the mid range and which I can attribute to the amplication section by comparing with Tidal Impact (awhile back).

Was listening to some Gregorian Chant last night and interestingly and for the first time, I felt there is human warmth in the harmonic reverbration. Previously, I thought Chant is supposed to be pristine and aloof. PT would probably say that I have been tone deaf with the vibration bouncing off the big glass panel on the RHS since last millenium. With the magic of glasshopper, not anymore!

• Options
    Go home and turn on the impact on! You better lock PT up to finish treating everything once and for all.
  • Options
    Alecy,

I can feel your excitement. Those glass treatments are very good. I ended up using 27 pieces. I put one wherever there is glass, including the kitchen and even bedroom upstairs. Without them, the tonality that I used to shifts way up, mistakenly interpret such as high frequency resolution.

Now that you are in the Tidal camp, everything will be revealed to the naked truth.
  • Options
    What was the "impact" to you last evening?
  • Options
    I got home quite late so only managed to hook up the Impact and let it run through the night.

Listened to it this morning for a few minutes playing Rach 2. All the details and colors are showing through but as you have predicted, the room imperfection is also becoming noticeable. The immediate urge is to strip all unnecessary room tuning devices (with the exception of the glasshoppers) as I felt they are now throwing off distortions that become a distraction.

The real adventure will soon begin hitting RESET!

• Options
    You need more glass treatment. Had you taken out the Walker?
  • Options
    Apart from removing the Walker, I also need to move the racks forward to make the bass flow around the backwall more freely.

I would love to go to the Shanghai party.

• Options
    Feel free to join! This will be around June time.
  • Options
    Time to go home for an impactful checkup.
  • Options
    More to share after last evening? We all wish you could go home earlier and tell us more.
  • Options
    By 7pm last night, I could no longer resist the Tidal calling and just took off work.

After a full day of run-in, the energization has calmed down a lot even before I had the chance to remove the Velocitor. Strangely, I noted the music that was pumping through was rich, natural and filled with details but once it interacted with the room, the naturalness kind of crumbles and I heard artifacts bouncing off the walls, objects and you name it!

With an incredible urge, I started to move things around. A few resonators in the front were removed and the diffusion panels were gradually pulled further and further to the back and some of them actually taken out altogether. I heard the Panerai watch on the stand ticking in unison with the piano – intolerable and off it went. Even my schoolboy cashmere sweater that I had been wearing for donkey years was becoming a nuisance in sucking the life out of the music – off to the closet! By the time I hit the bed, I would say most of the devices and non-essential objects in the front end of the room were gone. Much better but I still feel the flow is impeded somehow towards the back near where I sit. More work is called for tonight but it is a rewarding effort and I slept soundly.

Am I crazy? Probably and I attribute that to the spell of Tidal/FMR. Now this hopeless soul is yearning for the Preos. Can anyone spare a glasshopper, I also noted my wife’s voice is pitching upwards…
  • Options
    How large is your glass area on the right hand side of your room?
  • Options
    Glass area on RHS: 5' x 12' in 4 separate panels. There is also an outer layer of windows which I have now opened up slightly to release the trap energy.

• Options
    Alecy,
    From what you just described, a partial system of Tidal with FMR is already stunningly transparent and neutral. Preos is coming to your way...be patient. In my case, my room is now better tamed and I could hear the minute music produced right from the cartridge from a distance. I only discover this recently and reported to PT and he said this is normal to have some 'hiss' sound from the cartridge. I can always hear this sound when putting my ears close to the cartridge but not in a distance like now....

Marvel