發哥

今日見到京都骨插了線之後好似黑寡婦蜘蛛呀.
    Dso 已比隻蜘蛛咬住了.

Dear voy

Kyoto look like a black widow.

• Options
    DSo, 可否形容下你是怎死於"千蛛萬毒手"之下? 查兄, 莫非你識九陽神功?
  • Options
    Details, lots of details especially the bass. It also elevates the speed and control of 833 and therefore tremendously improves the bass coming from the little Cesaro. If there is a power bar connected to your system, you won't understand the full potential of your gears unless replacing it with a Kyoto.
  • Options
    DSo,

I thought your 833s are powered straight from the wall. Do u mind sharing how Kyoto is setup in your configuration?

Thanks
    Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece,

I don't have enough wall sockets for my pair of 833 and thus connecting them to a power bar. Theoretically, connecting the power amp directly to a wall socket should have the best result.
  • Options
    今日終於到手了
  • Options
    Hello Charles, how's your Algame doing? This Kyoto is good stuff. I know you will test-try the Vekian Signature soon. I just can't believe you can escape from the Vekian. We shall see.
  • Options
    Voy

Just had the Algame for 2 months and has surprised me. The Kyoto are really amazing and I am testing the Vekian right now i still like my Heritage more i think the Vekian needed more time to break in. First impression treble the Heritage is more transparence and accurate. Mid Low bass Vekian has more power and i think the Vekian had better backstage details. I really hope i could escape the Vekian.
  • Options
    If you can escape the Vekian, you will be the 1st one on record. The Heritage is good dac, no doubt about it. The spatial resolution is enormous. But the weakness of the Heritage is the trebel, exactly the opposite of your liking. The trebel does not integrate well enough with the mid-range. It somewhat stands out a little, tilting the balance upwards. The overall balance is a little bit on the bright side, which makes the lower mid bass leaner than usual. This is very apparent in piano recording.

The bass dynamic of the Algame should be much more than before with the Vekian. Given the size of your speaker, the Vekian should deliver a better proportion of mid bass energy than the Heritage. I can't say the Heritage is imbalance but the integration is not perfect and it better fits small to medium size speaker but not enough energy to fill up a big speakers.

The tonal balance of the Vekian is similar to Zanden, but with much higher resolution and dynamic capability. Heritage is younger, music coming out from it feels like a photograph with slight over-exposure, kind of white and bright at the top end, but the brightness is just very little. It takes time to understand. Details does not come by flashlight. The ultimate resolution should strike a balance between darkness/brightness. In between darkness and brightness, there are many color cues. If you are a photographer, it is easier to understand.

Go with what you like. Learning is fun.
  • Options
    I got my Kyoto yesterday and thanks for the courier service by Azzuri.
  • Options
    The Kyoto is feed by SMR-EE with all sources and pre-amp plugged in. Even without run-in, the improvement is significant, especially on transparency, quietness and bass... I am glad to be one of the owners of this jewel.
  • Options
    Shanghai dude, the bass should kick more ass now with the Kyoto? Am I correct? No intention to become professor here but experiences count.

Charles, Ray is one serious and very experienced old dude. His points are valid. But not many can follow him unless one reaches certain level.
  • Options
    Charles,

How's the Vekian audition going? I want to clarify some of my comments made yesterday. If we just pay all the attention to the trebel of the Orpheus Heritage, it is very good, elegant, refine and very details.

But everyone's listening style is different. To my ears, the integration of trebel to the midrange is not good enough because I can always feel the trebel stands out calling my attention much more than the mid-range. Human vocal always sounds a bit thin but not dry. This is not right energy balance for a big speaker like Sunray. The "driving power" of the lower mid-range of the Heritage is there but not enough.

To confirm my findings, I later on found on the Heritage was designed based on a pair of book shelf speakers! I was very surprised that they can build and design such a great dac by a pair of book shelf monitoring speaker! On the other hand, that explains why the energy balance tilts upward when on is using a big speaker. As I said, the Heritage is excellent for small to medium size speaker.

The technical details also confirm the differences. The analog output stage of Heritage uses op-amps (ICs), the Vekian's analog output stage is a discreet class A amplifier.

I hope my points are clear, they are based on my subjective listening experience and objective technical details from the manufacturer.
  • Options
    Shanghai dude, how's the kyoto doing now?
  • Options
    yes, more bass but the improvement is all round...