Skip to content

Dalby Audio Design Corner

Comments

• Dear KingPuyl. The Reuben power is insane in every way. It has over 1600 individual Litz conductors insulated in pure silk.
  • Mr Dalby,

I have to say I really love your ground cables. I couldn't afford the celestial, but the pearl is good enough to shock my group of friends. All of them have a Troy signature but can't convince themselves to spend on an expensive ground cable. After PT did a demo of pearl ground on trinity DAC, I couldn't resist and took one home.

I was told you don't even have a Troy. I wonder how can you design such magnificent product without it?
  • Dalby Abisha power cord on the Ken Lau's power supply for the router.
  • You are one crazy bastard! Dalby power cord on a router!? You must demonstrate what does it do!
  • Oh, that is very crazy!
  • Crazy X 100! Is there any reason you use Dalby power cord on the router?
  • Don't ignore the linear power-supply made by Kenneth Lau for the router.
    The sonic benefit it brings about may be as large as the Dalby Abisha powercord.

Rule 1 of CAS : All switching-mode power-supplies for CAS components must be replaced by linear power-supplies as far as possible.

I guess most of the Trinity Media PC users are using some routers/gigabit switches/NAS. Their switching-mode psu are polluting the whole audio system. Replacing them with linear psu costs little but can gives very obvious sonic improvement.
  • edited June 2015
    Under the recommendation of CKKEUNG and many other friends, I bought two linear power supplies from Kenneth Lau. I applied the Linear Power Supply (LPS) to my router. And my router IS NOT physically connected to the Trinity DAC and the Wadax Trio phono. My speaker sensitivity is 105db as opposed to most conventional speaker at 90db. What is good and bad will be magnified immediately. And this router is connected to the wall by a 2M Vetere HB Ethernet cable. My first impression was good because digital “zigzag” that framed the musical images has become obviously more rounded. Upon the 1st hour of listening, I definitely concluded bass energy was a bit too much – that triggered me to lower the crossover point to 80hz from 90hz previously so as to restore the right tonal balance that I was familiar with. I was very surprised the increment in bass energy after change of PSU on a router was so apparent. The 10hz reduction in the crossover point is a big deal. Because it means the control and power of the Engstrom Lars type 2 from 80hz to 90hz were markedly improved. And that also means this 10hz was messed up by high frequency noises from the router that contaminated the electrical lines from the (1) Ethernet cable into the wall and (2) the small SMPS power supplies.

But I wasn’t completely satisfied because the “aggregate noise level” was higher than before in spite of the elimination of digital noises and the increment in bass energy. And I recognize such noises – AC noises. Because Ken’s PSU was plugged directly into the wall without going through the Tripoint Emperor was my hypothesis last evening. At home, I did an experiment because I have another PSU made by KEN at home that was plugged into the JMF PCD302. I unplugged it from the JMF and went directly into the wall. I recognized the same kind of noises immediately. This morning, I went to AE before going to work, and plugged the PSU into the Tripoint Emperor via the Dalby Abisha power cord.

Bingo! The improvement is holistically beautiful. The smoothness of transient resolution, resolution of tonal shades, and dynamic contrast are the major areas of improvement. I strongly recommend for serious listener. With respect to the question of what I am using Dalby power cable on the router is because I only have Dalby power cables as spare at AE. And why do different power cable on the router would have an impact on sound is because the power supply no matter how well built is it always contaminates the AC lines to a certain degree.

This exercise makes me understand again Hi End audio is counter-intuitive. Even though the router is not physically connected to the trinity and the wadax, it contaminates the line all the time for as long as there is an Ethernet cable connected to the wall alongside the presence of a SMPS power supply.
  • Why not switch off all routers during listening? Isn't this is the best case?
  • Raymond, I echo this.
  • I agree but for me where I have more than 3-4 routers in my home. It is not possible as my family would condemn me monopolizing their time for the sake of my listening pleasure.

If one can turn off just one router, by all means turn it off is the best solution. If one cannot turn them all off, I have to resort to the solution of linear power supply.

The argument here is that the router at AE is "not physically" connected to either the trinity and the wadax, but the improvement of applying linear power supply type brings improvement beyond PT's expectation. This is the findings. For as long as there is a router functioning in your domesticated area, it will contaminate your electronics efficiently even though there is no physical connection.

But what PT did not report is that the linear power supply he bought first is not really for the router, he bought it for another super device, that interacts directly with the electronics.
  • I have 2 routers, 2 gigabit switches and 2 NAS at home.
    My bosses at home will kill me at once if I turn them off when listening to music!
  • Turning off is one way, disconnecting the router phsically from your system while listening would also work. My trinity PC is using wireless access so I believe I would not get 'contaminated' wirelessly, would I?
  • Marvel,

Yes it will according to PT's field experience at AE. Did u read clearly? Nothing is connected to the router!

The router contaminates the rest through the Ethernet cable into the wall.

As long as it is on, your German horn picks them up
  • Hello Longinus. I have my own methods and follow a very strict process when constructing our cables. It's the same process for a ground cable as it is for any other cable we make. I follow certain design principles and then listen extensively for changes and improvements. It's painstaking long winded but I feel the rewards are more than worth it. The internal formation and complexity of our cables are such that I can't find a manufacturer to make them so it has to be done all by hand.