Skip to content
Options

Vekian transport

Comments

• Options
    I visited AE showroom during lunch time and have a short audition on Vekian Transport + DAC. Thank for PT special arrangement.

When I just arrived, PT did not wait to play the first cut which killed VR - Lori's Killing Me Softly With His Song. Perhaps I was busy with my pork chop rice and thus I was not killed by Lori right at the first song but I could not deny Vekian reproduced a very vivid Lori in AE showroom. The base was a bit "more" for me as PT mentioned that he toe in the speaker a bit before I come.

As the audition time is short, we then proceed with the CDs that I brought today including:
    1. Misia - Best of Acoustic Ballad (for testing vocal live performance)
    2. Sadao Watanabe - Basie's at Night (for testing musicality and sound stage of live jazz show)
    3. 青山テルマ - Diary (for testing sound of J-pop)
    4. Hilary Hahn and Natalie Zhu - Morart Volin Sonatas (for testing instrument sound)

I was very touched and impressed by the sound of Misia singing You are Everything. The coherence, the live feeling and the resolution is the best I ever listened for this song. For Sadao Watanabe jazz, the people clapping sound is so real. The whole soundstage extended in both x, y and z axis so that a very 3D picture was reproduced. 青山テルマ is not particularly appealing to me as maybe the recording of this album is not very good. Finally, it came to Hilary and Natalie. The piano and volin are so hamonious and I feel that the two girls are just "talking" and "playing" with each other through the instrument in the studio when they were recording.

Finally, a warm reminder for guys who think they can escape from paying AE for the Vekian transport: Don't let PT take out George Lam CD and play. When I was about to go, PT took out this "weapon" to KO me... What I can say is I raised white flag and surrendered immediately when I listened "我突然無言靜了下去 細心把你望..."
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bigpiece flew from Shanghai to audition the latest source on Friday.
  • Options
    Then, 盧先生(又名膠袋佬), who is recognized widely as an expert in speaker positioning came to help me further improve the system. His advices are fruitful backed by technical explanations with real demonstration from his reference recordings (Chinese operas).

The speakers are now 5 feet away from the rear wall compared with 3.9ft in the morning when Bigpiece was listening. It was only 3ft when Alecy visited me two weeks ago. Toe-in angle is also different.

I am extremely grateful of his visit as I had learnt a lot more about various subjects.
  • Options
    Then, on Sunday morning, our Marvel bro visited the same room again at 10:00am (his previous visit was 4 days ago, the 2nd day when the Vekian transport landed). What is missing in the picture? The two diffusors are not there anymore.

And, I will let Marvel comment what are the changes he heard compared to his earlier visit in the earlier part of the week.
  • Options
    膠袋佬有料到! 佢擺位真係神乎其技, 我要再來聽多次!
  • Options
    Now, it's the time for me to go.
  • Options
    Uncle, pls shoot us a very detailed report of what you heard. It seems there are significant changes made in the past few days.
  • Options
    Marvel bro, what are the differences between the latest two visits?
  • Options
    Voy,

On my first visit, the midbass energy seemed to be inflated leading to a brighter presentation. If you imagine, Lori is singing with a strong spotlight on her. On the 2nd visit, the energy balance is much better and the voice bocome more livelier and natural. From my cable instinct, I did suggest to PT to change some of the power cables here and there, but with only some changes on the room acoustics and speaker positioning, we can achieve the desired result which is amazing to me. This also tells how 'unforgiving' Tidal Sunray and the system is...

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro, I really like it. This pic was taken from my Leica M9.
  • Options
    Voy, have you decided to go Tidal route? Seems that you are not only interested at the V-combo but indeed the entire Tidal system, am I correct? Why do you like M9?
  • Options
    I listened the complete recording of Kabi Lareti recommended bh Mr.DV here from track 2 till the last track at AE. I did not bother listening to another record. Whoever set the current sparker position up, thanks.
  • Options
    Spent several hours to regroup my system to prepare for vekian transport...move the Unison turntable to the Critical Mass rack...too tired to feel the difference...just to make sure everything works fine as I am used to be famous wierd hifi problems.
  • Options
    What's the differences between your pic and mine? That tells you why I like Leica over yours.

The german camp is very interesting. I will meet Uncle Ray soon to decide which route to take.
  • Options
    究竟幾時有貨?