Skip to content
Options

Tripoint Troy: Can one live without a kidney?

Comments

• Options
    The installation of Troy was saved till the end of the listening session because I know the power of Troy and I would like to enjoy the incremental improvement one by one. The coral feet of cours hit me by surprise. But the real fun started after the installation of Troy. Like sharing by other commrades, it need run in. The demo to Azzuri couple and my wife went well with expected response. None of us could believe we have been "enjoying" the distorted performance without the Troy before!

The only complaint I would have is it only comes with 4 cables. I try to use some old speaker cables to connect the remaining components to Troy. The simply rule of thum is to be connect all components to it. I just dont know if the cables make a real difference! All in all, I would say this is a must have item! Enjoy!
  • Options
    Coral feet installed under PRT1 in a rush.
  • Options
    I removed the stock feet of PRT-1 and replaced by the coral feet. The result is even better !
  • Options
    Hello Shanghai Bigpiece,

Just a reminder that the level of the coral feet must be set absolutely right. The subsequent impact on sound quality is akin to the operation of VTA in the analog domain. First, you level them to get the maximum coupling between the coral and the chassis. Second, you set the height of the feet. The rule of thumb the taller the height, the more high frequency response you will get. As you scale down the height, the mid and the bass begin dominating. Adjust them until you get the best result.

These features make me declare they are very fine components at its own right. I never like "plug and play" solution. It is no easy to believe the scale of improvement brought from them because they are just a set of damn feet.
  • Options
    Thank you Ray, you're truly experience in everything. The kind of improvement it brings, when the level is set right, goes beyond the dollar value of it. It's utmost important to get them level first. The imaging, high frequency extension, and the clarity of lower mid bass all improve substantially.
  • Options
    Thank you. The leveling of the coral feet could make or break the system because the Algame is extremely sensitive. After the leveling is perfect, there are much more fine details across the frequency band. I somewhat feel there is more "air" surrounding each object, springing a vivid and 3D reproduction experience.
  • Options
    呢間野我大多都買唔起, 但自從Vkian解碼後令我信心大增. 呢度D大哥大全胆宴, 就算我用FM機皇都好似唔多so我. 算X數, 各有各玩啫. 呢舊叫TROY的東西好似好多人講, 唸住打比肥仔問下咩料, 點知佢老哥話不適合我用, 好似冇X想做生意, 反而叫我試下珊瑚腳. 呢排股票彈番起咪買對黎玩下. 正當想試放FM266前級下, 肥仔急電話一定要較好水平. 心想又唔撚係玩黑膠, 玩對腳啫. 既然佢老哥打到就較埋佢. 一按Play, 我好似玩左對腳, 點解分別大撚到好似玩絛貴線? 高音精細通透, 3D感好撚奇特, 中低音清楚了好撚多, 我唔信邪, 拿走佢地, 再聽跌撚灑watt數. 晚上叫班牛鬼蛇神上黎清衣見色下, 試完又試, 仆街們冇野講. 最後我地立心較亂個水平, 挑那星, 肥仔冇錯, 即時暗了不少, 較回後, 3D感出番黎, 高音亮自然, 好撚抵玩!
  • Options
    After spending 2 weekends with 2 sets of coral feet, leveling them, adjustment of height and swapping between Zanden dac and the main unit and power supply of PRT1, the result is much more favorable to the PRT1's. One big difference between them is the weight distribution of the PRT1's is more uniform and the coral feet can also have bigger distance away from each other under the PRT1's. Since the coral feet are so sensitive, I intend to reposition them and immediately find out the sound change tremendously. I believe if the weight rest on each one of them is evenly distributed, the improvement can be optimal.

I first locate the centre of gravity of the PRT1's by using a metal cone with the sharp point cut out, and position the 3 coral feet in an equilateral triangle with the centre right at the cg. When I turn on the music again, fxxk! The result is really shocking, like replacing the 1st set of SMR SE by FMR. The body of each instrument becomes fuller and richer, the soundstage is extended in a 3D way with much more air and details in between. The high frequency is extended smoothly and the lower mid bass has more authority with clarity. I strongly recommend the coral feet owners to spend some more time with this new gadget and trust other AE fellows will have more findings to share in the near future.

PT, thanks again for introducing me such a fun and cost effective toy.
  • Options
    雖然已講過好多次, 但呢舊Troy真係好堅. 就算Tidal已有極度透心的音色分解能力下, 再加上Troy後的改進仍然是驚人. 我要等到八月尾才輪到我, 慘慘慘!
  • Options
    好難止咳!
  • Options
    This Troy is "crazy"! I finally understand the title of this thread. This is a must buy especially analog lover as it really cleans up layers and layers of ground noises masking precious details. The sound of violin and piano has so much more presence. I am yet to connect the ground wire to the Unison motor control bloc. Just one ground wire to the phono blows me out of the window.
  • Options
    REPOST of Alecy's great writeup (as it seems they are gone during the renovation of the new website)

Troy : Defying Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle

In quantum physics, it is an accepted principle that certain pairs of physical properties, like position and momentum, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. The more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known.

As a somewhat twisted analogy, I have always approached the quest for audio reproduction as an equation of trade-offs and compromise. This mentality has been severely challenged recently. A renewed focus on pace, coherency and overall balance had not only bring me closer to the frontier of latest technology but also allow to appreciate music in a way I had never dreamt of before. To boldly goes where no man had gone before, the decision to order the Troy requires no Captain Scott, all I need is to take the plunge knowing that this is a product that is revolutionary and is designed to plug a hole that has plagued modern day technology. Rewinding the clock a full 12 months, I told PT my interest is only on products that are a quantum leap over competition – not so much an insatiable ego but more a result of resources restraint. The Tidal, the FMR and the Troy meet precisely this simple criterion and they had shocked me beyond my wildest imagination.

An alien with 4 tentacles with a look that is mean and waiting to grab the host with all its might! I just let them grab the host all at once to save the pain and trouble. After about 30 minutes of charged up / run-in, all perceivable EMI (electromagnetic interference) is declared clinically dead. Totally helpless and overwhelmed, I collapsed in my chair, hoping to grasp the sensation of a new found dimension - Life.

Life is about presence and certainty. Learned comrades like Mr. DV and DSo had already shared their valuable insights earlier and I totally agreed with them on the remarkable improvement on speed, liveliness and background silent. But to me, there is something more and beyond the well beaten path. If the improvements are only in terms of iota difference along these attributes, then this revolutionary gadget is a failure given its objective. Here I found it interesting to borrow the concept of Heisenberg’s Uncertanity Principle as a comparison. For all those quantum physicists out there, please pardon my sacrilege. In quantum mechanics, energy is expressed as a wave function with the center of gravity defining its position and the wavelength being its momentum. The deployment of Troy enables both the wave function of each instrument to transmit naturally with pinpoint accuracy. They all have their individual identity and their presence is clear and undeniable. With EMI removed, every passage of music are now singing with certainty and conviction. I can feel all members of the orchestra firmly sitting down and working coherently to support the symphonic structure while the soloist is occupying the musical gravity rather than sailing on top of it. When the orchestra attentively awaits for the conductor to signal the crescendos, the momentary static creates immense tension as if ejaculations are in the wings (this, specifically for VoyR as he is presumably still waiting for his). For the first time and unmatched by any system I heard of, including that of PT’s latest Da Vinci, they all have feet and each one has their own emotions. It is this immensity that take over me. When the drum rolls, I feel as if I am passing through time and history. When the second violins are plucking their strings, they are wholesome and the resonance reaches the farthest end of the concert hall and bounces back in unison.

In a week that is arguably the toughest and most brutal in my career, the Troy is my life line and every night as I retired from work, music plays like a miracle. I am so filled with emotion.

Helen of Troy, yes, your face does launch a thousand ships.
  • Options
    Sorry for keep everyone waiting, especially Fat Gor.