Options

JMF Audio - the French School of Thought

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    呢部PCD102,堅到爆!低音的動態,結象能力,從來未聽過有其他電處能做到此水平,包括上一代的302。
  • Options
    JMF Audio新型電處的結像力贏上一代好多,而且能態非常凌厲,收放自如。聽感上,好似功放能量多咗20w,全頻密度驚人。我想不到Laurent今次重新設計,有如此大進步。
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Delighted to install the mega size PCD 302 35th Anniversary Luxury Edition for the Studio in Central. 

Really transformational! 
  • Options
    These are 102 and 302 waiting for pickup in France all going to AE customers. 

• Options
    The silver PCD 302, 35th anniversary edition. 

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Here are my (of course subjective) impressions of the JMF Audio PCD102 after slightly less than day of playtime:
    The packaging is very professional and the casework, details as well as overall quality impression of the actual device is the best of any electronic component I've had at home until now.

I should prefix my listening impressions by highlighting that I have never had any type of power conditioning in my setup previously as I was eagerly anticipating the JMF to dive directly into the hopefully "best in class" experience. So in a way I should at least have a very "non-biased" ability to analyse its performance in my setup in terms of its absolute impact but I cannot make any claims relative to other power conditioners.

My setup consists of exactly 6 devices (including integrated amp) so I am fully utilizing all the outputs of the JMF and in a way I think it's not a bad thing that this could limit and thus simplify my system going forward.

After connecting all my devices my first impression was that the music had 'slowed down" - a typical sign for me that there is a big increase in information density versus prior.
    Then I am noticing the feeling of more slam/punch in the bass region. What I had expected was now a feeling of sweetness that I was getting, first it seemed like the top was a little rolled off until it became very clear that it was just a lack of grain and harshness. The overall experience irrespective of genre of music now seems to be more relaxing.

What I hadn't really expected was a big increase in density and 3D imaging - just overall lifelike presence I guess would be the best way to call it. The music has more texture to it and weight.

The only area I so far have not been able to make out a clear improvement is dynamic quality (I've only used the JMF with the amp running through it FYI).

On the one hand I notice I'm listening to music at a louder setting than before to get the same perceived subjective feeling of dynamic impact - on other hand I'm not sure if that actually means there is a reduction of dynamic output as I also notice less room interaction now in general when I play louder (less ringing/booming).

So what do I think of the performance overall?

My mission statement to evaluate my gear is:

I want to get closer to music

And the way I define my assessment is by asking the following two questions:

1) Am I enjoying/looking forward to listening to music?

2) Am I discovering new music? (artists, genres, instruments...you name it) - so music discovery is an important component to me which is why I only stream and want my setup to be very versatile 

And all I can say is: the JMF gives me more music without taking anything away.

So there really is no downside to adding the JMF and it gets me so much closer to music - needless to say I'm a very happy customer!

PS: If any fellow forum members are reading this I would be very curious to know your mission statement that you use to audition your gear?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jerwo

My experience is the same as yours. Given I can now turn on the volume much louder than before without compression, dynamic headroom is tremendous.  It is a great partner with Tripoint Troy Signature NG, which is also a must. In fact, I agree with Aaron Kwok’s perspective of system infrastructure must consist of: JMF PCD102/302, Tripoint Troy NG and Air Blade.  Enjoy! The unit does not require too long burn in as Laurent of JMF did thorough burn in before shipment. Also try to unplug your amp from it after a week, and then you will realise many mistaken noises as dynamic because noises also carry energy. 

My goal is: able to visualise the field as I am watching on top of listening. Without JMF and Tripoint, I don’t have a clear view. 
  • Options
    Jerwo,

I haven’t bought anything for a long time but I must concur with Aaron Kwok’s acute sense of what are deemed necessary. He uses non audiophile language to escalate the sophistication of this hobby.  Without the JMF, there is no view into the music. The view refers to a visual experience in spite of the fact that we are listening. Obviously there is no screen.  Had you experienced Divin Lab’s rendition of Mahler 9? PT plugged all to PCD102 before going into Cloud 9.  Had you experienced AE SW far field seating listening to Les Misersble, Phantom of the Opera, Sound of Music and the King and I? I feel like watching a movie.  

Get the Troy NG and Air Blade, though many are waiting including me. 
  • Options
    @ DVader
    @ UncleRay

Many thanks for your response! Yes I agree that JMF/Tripoint NG and potentially AirBlade are some of the best infrastructure components available and I very much hope to see at least a Tripoint NG in my future.
    The beauty and importance of infrastructure to building any setup was very much highlighted in my visits to the AE showrooms in SW and subsequently Central (I haven't been to the Divin Lab).
    In my personal experience with my own system I can truly say that infrastructure is where I invest most of my financial budget and also energy to really try and get the most out of my signal components.
    It truly is a win-win (or in trader parlance there is a lot of low hanging fruit) as just off the top of my head you get:
    - Better understanding of your electronics and what they are capable of in terms of raw performance and sound
    - More music! As highlighted above usually when changing electronics in the signal chain there is a risk/reward calculation: you will gain in some aspects and lose in others and it is to our subjective preference to make the judgement if we find this worthwhile or not
    - With JMF/Tripoint there is no tradeoff - you get more of everything without a tradeoff (well let's ignore the financial aspect...) and most importantly you keep the tone, the voice stays intact
    - The infrastructure components can be used as the foundation for any subsequent setup (high or low budget) so everything becomes more "modular" in a way

DVader you said: "My goal is: able to visualise the field as I am watching on top of listening. Without JMF and Tripoint, I don’t have a clear view. "
    And UncleRay you were highlighting the experience of listening to Gustav Mahler before and after. 
    This is very interesting to me as if I may try to paraphrase and interpret: You both seems to prioritize the playback of (classical) recordings that you are familiar with, would you say that's a fair statement? Maybe I'm wrong here but it's the familiarity that I want to highlight. 

For me I want to voice my setup more like an instrument since my stated goal is to explore more music (so by definition music I have never heard before, recorded or live). I would imagine if I didn't have that goal I would potentially go into a different direction with my electronics but the infrastructure of JMF/Tripoint could always remain the same and that's why I can fully endorse these products.

• Options
    Jerwo, 

The context is “exceptionalism” and “excellence” when they referred to Mahler 9.  Most of these were written in a series of Chinese article by many who had went to a tutorial crafted by PT at Divin Lab.  The infrastructure suits all type of music but the recent discussions on Mahler 9 had been vibrant.  

Jeff 
  • Options
    These are the long awaited JMF Phono 7.2 and 7.3 coming to AE.  

• Options
    edited December 2022
    JMF Audio PHS 7.2/7.3 phono stage 
    This is the only phono stage that I know capable of reproducing the transient aspect of music to the fullest extent. It fact, it opens up my mind to embrace a new evaluation criteria - “transient resolution”.  This dictates musicality much more than subjective perception of tonal beauty.  The JMF phono allows you to visualise the motion of the violinist/cellist through the articulations of bow on the string, thereby radiating the corresponding energy of each bow movement. That requires a phono stage to capture the transient information speedily and comprehensively. I am not only referring to the macro crescendo of symphonic scores but also the transient resolution amongst sub instrumental groups. 

For too long, many focus squarely on quietness and hyped tonal beauty exemplified by bloated mid range alongside treble that must be smoothened to bury all transient details.  It is time to move on to a new school of thought. 

Facts confirm reality. The silent revolution of this French jewel has already formed a critical mass.
    All the vinyl playback videos that I posted on AE Facebook in the past 24 months come only from JMF PHS7.2 or PHS7.3.