Skip to content
Options

Apollo Mission - 太陽神登月行動

“Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”
“休士頓中心 -- 寧靜洋基地 -- 飛鷹已成功登陸”

The final push for perfection has been filled with anticipation and excitement. Tidal Piano Diacera – Tidal Impact – Tidal Preos – FMR ICs – FMR SC – Tripoint Troy – Orb Kyoto. With each addition, the final destination gets closer. With each migration, the music reveals its binding structure like the unfolding of human genome.

The past weekend is categorically the most rewarding in my entire audio adventure. Jorn’s polite comment on my system is definitely over the hill but there is no denial in my mind that the finishing line is hair close. Given the constraint of my system, the informational content and the density, both macro and micro level, are abundant and in the right proportion. The coherency extends to the finest detail connecting the air and decay in one seamless picture. There is no word that can describe this organic feeling and the closest analogy I can imagine is if one is floating in an open sea and feeling the current waves around you. This utmost transparency and the unbiased neutrality provide the necessary cues for me to fine tune the speaker position (all within a 2.5 cm radius). On Sunday morning, nirvana is declared and I am speechless and so overcome with emotion.

This is the end game for me. Moon is conquered!

Comments

• Options
    Let's pay him a visit over the weekend!
  • Options
    Thanks for Alec's hospitality on last Sat for an audition of his full Tidal suite although from what Alec has written above, it appears he has saved some secret tricks on Sunday...I will need to visit again...ha ha...

The system on Sat was already very transparent. I was pleasantly surprised by the coherence and stressless music produced by the Tidal suite especially the ceramic drivers really do not sound as ceramic as the K-brand that both Alec and myself have used before.
    The suite also strikes me on the openness and calmness in handling all sort of music that we played both on the CD source and LP. Admittedly, this has also given me much easier comparison between the 2 sources. Perhaps it is worth mentioning that the Zanden CD source is extremely difficult to be defeated even by the vinyl system at a top notch like Alec's. I recall having similar comparison in my system driving to spend more effort in improving the LP system...too many variables but too stretched on the time to enjoy music! Alec, over to you....

Marvel

Marvel

• Options
    Alecy, Jorn commented there is still some echo in your room bouncing off from the ceiling. Are you going to deal with it? At the same time, he said you have the best PiaDia setup in the world.
  • Options
    Raymond,

Jorn's comment re: my PD is only a complimentary statement and he took time to explain the bigger and better world in CD and ultimately the SR system. I am very eager to hear PT's SR even though I could not have afforded it.

In terms of room acoustics, the more urgent treatment is the LHS reflection point which causes an imbalance (the RHS is covered with curtain). Jorn has kindly recommended the ideal treatment and I will let PT do the labor work for me later.

Heard you are upgrading the SR. Do tell us more about it.

• Options
    It seems there is an enormous amount of interest in the Sunray. I am a hardcore follower of Da Vinci. I probably will be brave enough to go there. What is lethal to my senses is the Gabriel - this is likely the point of no return as the Unison turntable serves music with maturity and integrity. I am no longer looking for sensational sound and there are tons of turntable out there that sounds even harder and cleaner than CD. My retirement gift is very clear - the Gabriel.

Ray, you have everything!
  • Options
    Alecy, you tidal suit is good sound, even I'm not in tidal gang but I'm very impressed by the music.
  • Options
    Mr.Grey,

Can you elaborate more? Your comments are interesting since you highlighted you don't belong to the Tidal school but are impressed by the sound quality. What are the quality of this system? Can you say a few more words?

It is just damn boring. I'm simply stirring up some subject matter for online discussions.
  • Options
    A bit cool for me of the tone. After listened few records I thought the tidal should very close to real sound, not coloration. I think the music reproduction represent the owner character, if you have change to visit Alecy home, the cultured and elegant decoration just like the sound.
  • Options
    studiogrey,

Nice to have you over last Saturday and your comments are right to the point.

The Tidal is a colorless glass that allows the listener to dissect the music the way it was recorded. There is no addition or subtraction of colors to achieve a certain desirable factory sound. Yamashita's beautiful guitar playing is maximally showcased especially with the Tripoint in the chain. The crispy sounding nature of a DMD recording is also obvious.

There are always room to improve. First and foremost, the side wall reflection is still a distraction especially for first time visitor. I am sure double running the ORB will yield additional improvement. But I hope Tidal's ability to reveal is obvious to you.

• Options
    The German photographic school is about realism. It may leave no room for fantasy and imagination. Ray may argue that we should leave the fantasy part to the artist. It sounds like Marvel bro will soon either change gun or fire with two guns. How nice to have double pleasure!

Alecy may have to do more work on room acoustics. Reflections on the right hand side is easy to deal with. The echo from the ceiling is just a matter of another cloud. Elimination of these two variables should set the stage up for another indepth listening session.
  • Options
    VoyR,

The beautiful thing about the school of realism is that it makes life so much easier: one just have to remove all sources of possible distortion and the end is almost there.

Wall reflection and ceiling diffusor is easy and perhaps the step after these is a more transparent rack. Right now I just feel like a cat watching over the mice.

• Options
    By the way, I felt the sound of Tidal had beyond the factor of solid stage or tube amp already.
  • Options
    Mr DV,

Your expert comments are well noted and I appreciate your openess to share your view. They are spot on.

I listened to Koji Tamaki Live CD again last night and confirmed that the upper high frequency extension is running short to give a closed in feeling. On comparison with other recordings, this seem to be an unique feature of that particular CD. The side wall ringing is always there and I am constantly looking out to find an aesthetically pleasing treatment for the naked wall. There are some temporarily fix I can deploy though.

• Options
    What is the tube inside your Zanden DAC? I strongly recommend you to use Siemens cca.
  • Options
    Still using the stock tube. Will switch to Siemens.