Skip to content
Options

The Landing of DV Mother ship

After months of waiting (and saving on lunch boxes), DV Mother ship finally landed. Supreme quality in the make and I wonder what is underneath the base (look at the reflection from the SRA board showing the base of the mother ship)....

Comments

• Options
    Wait a few days more before I get help to put the DV cannon back to its mother ship....marvel!!
  • Options
    Great turntable. Are you going to connect it to the Tidal?
  • Options
    When will the spaceship start working?
  • Options
    You really have so many new toys... I even don't have chance to listen to your old ones... and you already got new stuff... hard to catch with you!
  • Options
    Interesting! The two floatplane play side by side!
  • Options
    Puyi,

My plan is to use Zanden phono to pair up with DV. PT reckons that DV likes tubes. In this case Tidal would be the linestage. Bergmann will continue to use the phonostage of Tidal so that I can compare the two LP sources.

Jeff, still arranging a time with the engineer for the setup...may be early next week.

Azzurri, you should come more often when you have a chance to fly back to Hongkong. Bigpiece makes effort to visit me and PT whenever he comes to HongKong. Check out with him on new toys...his recent moves are much much more 'impactful' !!

Marvel
  • Options
    This is truly a great great turntable. Last week, I auditioned it with a complete full blown DV phono system. Marvel, you must go there to understand how far this turntable can go.
  • Options
    Puyi,

Before I go there and find out how far this DV suite can go, I need to determine how far my 'fuel' can allow me to go. PT has got a full LP source of DV powered by majestic power supplies which is the top config. I am sure the invitation is as lethal as it always be. Better save it until mine has been setup and let me get a feel on how the elementary stage would sound like.

Are you getting Unison in this batch or next?
    Marvel
  • Options
    I didn't know you have a Zanden phono stage.
  • Options
    I borrowed it but I am very interested in the new Zanden phono...
  • Options
    Have you set up the Unsion? An important tip for you. In the latest issue of absolute sound, Jonathan Valin gave the highest regard to the AAS Gabriel/DV arm/ against his long time Walker reference. In the review, there is a small paragraph highlighting how Peter set up the belt. it should be as loose as possible. The best is set it so loose to the point of almost falling.
  • Options
    Puyi, many thanks. Will perform the setup today together with the engineer from AE.
  • Options
    marvel bro, can you share a "fraction" of your new turntable experience to make us wiser?
  • Options
    Yes, long time ago.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help of the AE house LP engineer, it only took less than an hour to complete the installation yesterday. Due to the packed family schedule on weekend, I could only listen to the Dv combo for several hours. I am using Tidal phono with the DV while the Bergmann is now hooking up to the Zanden. This is not my original intention but due to the limitation on the length of the DV phono cable, I cannot hook it up with the Zanden unless I rearrange the gears in the rack which I have no time to do this at the moment.

I am setting 300ohm as the input impedance on the phono side which I believe should further be fine tuned. My gut feeling plus the advice from PT is that I should set to around 100-200ohm. If there is any member of this community who could shed some insight, I am very much delighted.

I am certainly not unfamiliar with DV arm and cartridge with Raven as I have been using this combo for quite some time. I think replacing Raven with InUnison has allowed me to understand more about the brand DV. With Raven, I thought the DV arm+cartridge is more focused on the midrange and to some extent the low bass is a bit towards the warm and mellow side.. With InUnison, the entire frequency spectrum seems to have delineated into a more evenly distributed response curve. Yet the organic and naturalness of the music coming out is still the same. Whether it matches better with a tube phono or a solid state phono like Tidal remains to be unanswered before the arrival of EMT. On the other hand, with Tidal being an extremely neutral instrument, I can hear a much darker background and more resolving music from the DV TT.

Whilst burning in, I would modify the impedance in the phono to achieve the best balance as well I would adjust the position of the motor so as to adjust the tightness of the belt.

The overall sound depiction when compared to Bergmann is that DV is like a painting with extreme details and one can easily indulged and seduced by the tonality and mood of the recording. Bergmann is a big picture type of photo without congestions and everything inside the photo is equal and without over spotlighting and emphasising. DV produces a contiguous and coherent music message with tight integration among all musical instruments and performers. Bergmann on the other hand is like an army parade, one musical group coming out from one another without disorder with well framed soundstage. Whilst I am certainly not a veteran in LP, I am now beginning to realise one must have more than 1 LP source in order to understand more about the variants and parameters in the LP domain that would affect the overall performance. It is a much more complex matrix than CD!!

Marvel