Skip to content
Options

The Landing of DV Mother ship

Comments

• Options
    Alec worked very hard over the weekend according to PT. He moved down gradually from 117ohm to 93 ohm and reported to be the initial bright spot to PT.

After Peter of DV read Marvel's message, you guys need not work too hard as Peter said the best impedance matching between Tidal Preos and DV cartridge should be between 40ohm to 55ohm. Even if you guys are at 100ohm, you are sacrificing colors - not the intented design of DV cartridge.

This week, we will receive a new DV cartridge with a new diamond needle.
  • Options
    I did the setting of the input impedance on the Tidal to 47ohm which is within the range of 40-55ohm last night. Compared to the 'ad hoc' setting of 300ohm, music is more engulfing and at ease without any dilution on the color of the tonality and richness. It was certainly not the same setting when I was using Raven/Tidal! Impedance setting is undoutedly crucial and to me, a capability to adjust the impedance becomes a 'must' for the selection of phono...Please share views if this thinking is correct or there are other ways to achieve the same...

Marvel

• Options
    Good start for you but I respectfully disagree the criteria is a must. Curve selection is much more important than flexibility on impedance adjustment in my opinion. On the wrong curve, the sound is also wrong regardless of impedance setup. And most people to my knowledge just play the impedance for fun to squeeze more highs out or, maybe, tighten the bass. And different cartridge has differnet coil impedance but the trend seems to be lower and lower. I had rarely seen flagship design in recent years has coil impedance higher than 20ohm. Tidal is an instrument that allows you to verify and check ohm by ohm, if you have the time.

The Zandnen phono is selection of low is fine for a wide range of flagship design but the curve selection of it is crucial and to me is a beauty and this is a "MUST".

Are you still mounting the MC Winfield on the Bergman? If yes, take it out asap. Put a Shilabe on, it feels like they are cut from the same cloth.. You are not hearing the best of the air-bearing design. You are not hearing the bass, the dynamic, and the flow of air bearing design. The designer is too young and not mature enough to understand the flow of music. The synergy is seamless.
  • Options
    Thanks Raymond...will bear in mind on the curve selection which again is getting very rare (even more rare) as a selection option available in the phono. I will work on MCW vs Shilabe when my other priorities have been completed.
    Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, it's good to hear u are enjoying the DV analog tt system. it is a great tt.
  • Options
    Good news DV fans. This is a new proprietarily newly developed record-clamp from Da Vinci specially designed for the Gabriel and Unison. Other turntables will benefit enormously too. It is NOT just another clamp. People who are familiar with DV knows they only do serious work.
  • Options
    I definitely want one - vote of confidence!
  • Options
    This clamp makes me much easier to taste Da Vinci!
  • Options
    Who is using it? Mr.dv, any comments?
  • Options
    So far, I think the Gabriel not necessary a clamp, but here it is. Let wait, until it get on the flight.
  • Options
    Raymond,

How mistake the sound we heard if a Mono LP spin under a stereo cartridge and a stereo phono?

• Options
    Huge distortion at both end - everything clusteres in the mid range.
  • Options
    Raymond thanks you!

I feel confuse about the "correct" sound from the record in my hand.

I don't know what the technique behind the AAS and DV phono(Curve), but the mono record does sound good and even better than the later stereo version through the AAS & DV phono. And my problem is there are three different tone in Mono, stereo lp and CD. (Example: CAMPOLI LP HOMAGE TO FRITZ KREISLER and Some piano i felt the CD version is record by different person.) So which one should use for reference?

PT, did u try spin a Mono LP on yr DV turntable?
  • Options
    marvel, what is your currrent tracking force on the Unison? Don't go over 2.1 is my experience.
  • Options
    how is the synergy between swiss/german?