Skip to content
Options

Installation of Ptsang's Cessaro Alpha One

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone got a pair of XLR FMR? I wonder what it looks like? I don't have any place for a XLR connection at the moment but surely this is a hell of temptation on how it performs as well.

My experience on the 2nd night of listening to 2 pairs of FMR as opposed to Flow+SMREE was the amount of details flowing through these cables is enormous with much 'synchronous' transmission end to end...it is effortless and blocking free type of transmission leading to a much faster transient and energetic tempo. I can hear more details from the leading edge to the trailing ends of each note and thrillingly (again from the 1st night's experience) the focus of point sources where music is produced. Be it violin/piano sonato, vocal and concertos...

Of course this cannot be achieved without taming my glass room...I have got a 'black' pearl from PT (he has got only one left for the time being, so please don't ask him, rob him if you are desperate). I put it on the window glass platform and it works to produce much calm treble especially on sopranos...no debate as both PT and myself were convinced beyond doubt.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro, were you listening to Erna Spoorenberg? Great taste. Are you now a big fan of opera? Your room acoustics must improve tremendously. There is no way your glassy room can stand the energy of the upper high. I am glad for you.

Rumors flying around Marvel bro is going to kick some serious ass. I know your baby cessaro will upgrade to some sort of elder brother including swapping premium parts for the internal crossover on top of the tweeter upgrade. I hope you can kick some serious ass on the bass after the job. No matter where you walk the audio route, the German school is damn truly yours all the time.

I am running out of words to describe the music experience after FMR joined the system. I really cannot dissect music by parts like you because what I heard from my system is a seamless integration f from top to bottom. I don't feel any frequency is better than any other frequency. It is just one whole musical scene. I never thought the Zanden can do bass properly until two days ago. I can actually feel the bass key slowly ascending back to the original position after the finger pressed it down. As you said, it is almost point source imaging on each key. Not just the big splash but the whole bass keys slowly ascending back to the original positions are really shocking.

Other than that, I am still freakingly shocked by every recording I play ever since Monday. This never happens before.

Good luck to your horny route. Did you mention something about Tidal? Ray must be upset you are not joining his camp.
  • Options
    Yes, indeed,you are right, I was listening to Erna and a few more sopranos as well. Of course I am very greeen on opera and admittedly I feel the energy explosion by human voices is much more 'explosive' and 'everlasting' than any other instruments which to certain extent, is to replicate or accompany human voices in order to reflect certain emotions along the musical path. Sopranos will 'ignite' my glass room and it has been used ever since whenever I thought some improvements have been made on my room way back when PT first introduced the LP by Frederica VonStade to me.

You are right that I am heading towards a major upgrade to my Cessaro as mine was the very first version of Affascinta and after that, big bros like DSo, Bigpiece were throwing loads of cash to make it really sings. This hopefully is a catch up exercise for me and by no means I have the ability nor the intention to kick any ass except mine. With this move, certainly I am farther apart from the T-route in terms of speakers upgrade but I think it is the most cost effective upgrade opportunity which I should treasure from Ralph and AE.

To your point re FMR, I think it is also time for me to seriously consider replacing my SmREE speaker cable with the upcoming FMR but I need to sort out some financials and logistics before I could make this move.

Marvel

• Options
    When the new Tidal website is on, there will be tons of pictures showing the quality of the crossover inside each speakers. Remember to take a serious look at the crossover parts inside the Sunray. The idea of using exquisite crossover parts is long heralded by Tidal` - a very low profile speakers manufacturer doing crazy stuff.

Marvel, it's utmost important to improve the efficiency of the crossover by using premium parts. You take the right move. Are you not opting for external crossover but just upgrade the internal crossover?
  • Options
    You shuold dump the old version SMR EE spk cable long time ago. The joy of music is really enourmous after the FMR. It allows me to listen a lot more music than before. I don't feel its existence, more feel like direcly listening to the source. I agree with Voy that I really can't dissect music by parts and listen like you. Not because I don't want but I can't as the experience now is complete seamless.
  • Options
    Jeff, Ray,

As a cable freak, my natural instinct on the first night switching over from Flow, SMREE to FMR was to compare the difference, that formed my initial impression and resulted in my 'dissected' analysis. My experience on 2nd night as you can see above was already 'end-to-end' kind of feeling and subconciously, I forget the comparison bit at all.

Ray, due to space & $, I talked to Ralph and this is the way that both of us believe is the best approach. Sunray (or its next generation/s) is still beyond my reach in $$ terms, so it may be my target for a retirement celebration gift....

Marvel
  • Options
    Just like everyone, I run out of words to describe the quality heard through from my own system after one pair of FMR is used between Zanden 5000s and the Wavac PR-T1. This is not just another hi end experience. I call it the "absolute end of the ultra end".
  • Options
    Ready for the 2nd pair of FMR?
  • Options
    With all positive experience shared, just confirmed 3 paris of FMRs with PT..... Hope I can get them soon.
  • Options
    By all means, use a pair with your analog sources. You owe youself if you don't. I have never heard the tonality of the dolphin violin so close to live concert. For a few seconds, I felt it is real.

When is the 2nd pair due?
  • Options
    A few days ago, when I read you guys saying listening straight for more than 10 hours, some even 30 hours non-stop, I said to myself "exaggeration". After exchanging a few emails with Ray, I know he is one very serious and experience listener. Last night, around 6pm, I started listening my system. Zanden combo is fed by one pair of FMR, run in for 30 hrs, when I went to bed, it was around 3am in the morning. I can't say I glued myself to the chair but the very desire of playing disc after disc for so many hours never happens before. My chinese neighbor next door knocked on my door at around 11pm, I thought he was complaining me playing too loud. I mean he is not just my neighbor but a friend of mine. He said, "I briefly heard the Cello sound coming from your home when I was smoking at the balcony. I stood there for another 10 minutes after the smoke went out. I was still attracted by the sound of Cello."

He joined me at 11pm and listened till 3am. You guys are not bluffing. I understand now, and I am glad I do.
  • Options
    WChow,

I never bluff and quite the contrary, I always find myself short of better words to describe what I hear...FMR interconnect is not the kind of difference that I can find between FMR power and SMREE power...It is another generation in cable evolution and I think it is leading the current industry by many leaps...don't you agree?

Marvel
  • Options
    marvel bro, how does "double pleasure" feel like?
  • Options
    Yes, I do feel it is a completely new ballpark - the next next generation.
  • Options
    The same pair of FMR that poisoned Charles to death on Thursday arrived DSo' system today.