Installation of Ptsang's Cessaro Alpha One

Comments

• Options
    My WE preamp
  • Options

mono petrvs pre-M
    wow!!!
  • Options
    What a bunch of pricey electronics you have over there! PT is extremely impressed by the improvement brought from the external crossover. Can you or Mr.Z share what does it do to the bass response? Does it go deeper or merely faster?
  • Options
    Ray, the external X'over makes the Alpha 1 very easy to drive,any amp that can drive a BBC monitor can take care of the Alpha 1 with ease, and I'm not exaggerating it. The bass sounds more natural and in abundance than I've heard from PT's place, though the bass in my place is still tight(break-in necessary), I tend to listen to music in a much louder volume than before, the magic is the Alpha 1 won't shatter as the volume goes higher and higher.
  • Options
    The horny guys are making a big come back with the jet engines. Are you guys ready for the perfect cable next week? The FMR ic will just be better than the EE, not by a little.
  • Options
    FMR is the most anticipated product for me in 09. I can't live with EE and find system without EE either loses resolution or sound too tight and bright. The FMR will be another ballpark, I was told. This two months are too long for me to wait. If you had already experience the flow, I find it hard you are not on the same page with me.
  • Options
    Impatience is hard to stand. Like Jeff et all, I am waiting for the perfect cable - no loss of information and no addition of information. When the music is rough, it must sound rough. When the music is refined, it will sound refined.

Perfect is a dangerous word in the audio world. But our confidence comes from the pride ownership of EE. If one knows what EE do, our sanity tells nothing can be better. These guys are not bluffing and nothing in the audio world can really stimulate the interest of Ray, Jeff and VR if anything is less than excellent.

I am nowhere as good as this elite group as I don't carry the depth of their pocket. I can't follow everything such as the Cessaro, Algame and Sunray but the FMR, I will spare every penny for it just because I am so grateful to have EE cables serving in my music system.
  • Options
    I will not go to work after I receive the FMR next week. I am as impatient as everyone here.
  • Options
    Perfect is a not a suitable word because we aren't gonna know what will be the perfect state. It only appears beyond our comprehension of existing knowledge.

I would like to clear some misconceptions about cable. Mr.Z reports his sound becomes richer and full of texture after using the Flow on his analog system. Please don't misunderstand that is the character of the cable. It should be interpreted as the "FLOW better reflects the rich texture of his ultimate source EMT GOLD/Thales". A lesser cable may fail to convey the true color as much as the Flow. After-all, cable is a passive device but important.

The higher the resolution your system achieves, the more difficult you want to escape and get away from it. If your arteries clogs, can your other organ still function the way they should? Cables has direct bearing on the actual musical signal. I guess no one can deny it.

The cable debate will never end because people start looking at the problem with different angle/agenda in the first place. I never claim any cable is perfect for any system because I see them as a reflection of your upstream/downstream source. The swap to a cable which produces more energy will create interactions with the room, and if the room is not treated, the cable takes the blame. This is the kind of attitude that I have difficult to swallow.

I can only say, my experience until now, given the Sunray and the neutrality of the Tidal suite, the EE is the only cable that better reflects the fundamentals of my chosen components as a means to appreciate the music that I like. Without the EE, the violin tone of the Hefeitz sounds dull and monotonic. Not because the EE is born with the Hefeitz's violin but because it conveys all available information from the source - no subtraction and no addition and the delivery of information comes with ease and control that makes it sound like the real natural tone of music.

If FMR can better the job done by EE, it will be almost impossible based on everything I know about cables and their interaction with various system so far. But like everyone here, the FMR is a must try.

Professor Hung, no offense, just constructive discussion.

Ray
  • Options
    A few more days, we will know everything from Beethoven, Mozart to U2, Queen, Springsteen and those rappers...
  • Options
    I subscribed a pair of FMR IC a couple of months back. Frankly, I was not very eager and excited as I just got my cessaro and wavac settled. Until the installation of a pair of Flow 2 weeks ago, I started thinking, like other flow users, about the performance level of FMR. Really looking forward to their arrival....
  • Options
    Shanghai dude, I am crossing my fingers. How many pairs are you gonna get? Aren't you worry Marvel bro will take all?

Do your horn kick some serious ass on bass? If not, don't blame the cable, or Ray will give us another lecture...
  • Options
    Just one pair at the moment. You spot on that there is room for improvement on the bass for cessaro singing in my apartment. I wont blame the cable, of course, but I m exploring other options
  • Options
    Cable is always a function of subtracting details from the original signal along the transmission path. How much and how even/uneven it subtracts on the details would 'shape' the characteristics of the cable. So far, I find Argento has done a great job in minimising such 'subtraction' and in areas where it does subtract, it does the job in the most even and balanced way. I still remember a chief editor in a local hifi magazine commented to me on using a single brand of cables would not be the right way, he believes in mix and match in order NOT to make the signature sound of that brand of cable more apparent than he wants it to be. This is a traditional wisdom applied for one and only perception: all cables have a unique and identifiable 'smell'. I stay with the same brand for more than 3 years now and so far I could only find myself mismatch on gears, wrong acoustics, wrong speaker positioning, wrong cartridge impedance setup....never would I question myself if I am using the wrong cables.

I will be using 2 pairs of FMR running from Bergmann turntable to Preos phono preamp and then to 805 power amp....Being a crazy follower of 'EE' cables, my eyes were wide opened when I got the Flow interconnect, this is a completely new level setting on the cable benchmark as far as I can see where FMR is unleashing.

Marvel
  • Options
    Well said, Marvel. You clearly understand the role of cables and it is just too bad that your room acoustics haunted you for years. Heard that the glassy sound is now gone due to the application of the glass vibration killer. I am glad for you. Get the resolution of your speakers up there is the next step.

Perceptions and misconception are difficult evil to get across. Logicality requires training to build up over time. VR, I am sure you know I am not lecturing anyone here. I enjoy sensible and quality discussion. Cables are just one of the very many parameters in dictating the final performance of the system. Some put a low weighting on it because they feel cable should not be expensive. I agree if the rest of the stuff is not up to the standard (including the room). But if the rest are up to the standard, it will be difficult to get away from the facts.

Can you say our heart and kidney are more important than the arteries? If the arteries are blocked, can rest of the organ stay healthy? Bias always occurs when you can attach a price tag on any item. But for health, we can't because we do know it functions as a whole system. But the integration of an audio system has a lot of similarities to our body. The only difference is whether you are aiming for perfection.

I am always aiming for perfection. That's why I am one hell of an arrogant ass.