Skip to content
Options

Marvel's Wavac 805mk2

Comments

• Options
    Raymond, I am using SMR EE power cords on 805, what about yourself? I was thinking to use FMR but realised that I have got only one so I need to borrow another one from friends before I can find out which one is better matching with 805. Obviously which tubes I am going to use ultimately would also affect the choice of the power cord in order to strike a balance.

Marvel
  • Options
    The 805 tubes are not for famous for tonality but speed and dynamic. The mid-range is a bit white and blank relative to the EC300B. I don't need ee for the 805, the FMR suits for my taste better, maybe I live with 833 for too long.

A stock power cord does not change the character of the 805. The SMR EE does not change either but deliver more energy. I certainly don't more more energy if edgy mids come as free gift. My benchmark is Wavac 833 V1.3, Tidal Impact, and a few more "amps".
  • Options
    Raymond,
    The 805 tubes are not warm and mellow which is more or less the sound of 211 tubes, but it is certainly not white and blank even compared to WE300B's, from what I heard, the 805v.2 is very neutral, sturdy ,clean and fast, the pace is especially good. With the 805v.2 in place,how to voice /tonalise the sound of a system depends very much on the sound and quality of the preamp. Mating up with the Tidal pre may not be the best choice as the Tidal is as neutral as it can be, but the Tidal's controlling ability is the best of the best, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    Ptsang,

I cannot agree more with you on the neutrality of Tidal. I am getting more interested to try out the FMR in the 805...

Marvel
  • Options
    Ptsang, I was referring to the stock Golden Dragon 805. PT was using RCA, which is way better than the stock 805.

I am glad you appreciate the Tidal because not many has the capacity to appreciate the beauty of it. You should get one, masterpiece dosen't occur by coincidence. The same to the guy who use PiaDia.
  • Options
    marvel bro, I received a sms from PT saying the big bird is down. What's the story?
  • Options
    With the new 805, I tried to reduce the toe-in angle of the Affascinate speaker to less than 8 degree (before that it was 20 degree) and I was amazed last night by the wide opening up of the soundstage with much more details floating in the space surrounding myself!! I seldom move my speakers partly because it was originally set by Ralph and partly because of my unbalanced room layout. With 805 for several days, I began to feel that the energy released by the speaker appears congested within the space between the speakers so I tried last night taking several gradual steps to reduce the toe-in angle. Like what I said at the begining, I was amazed, I really mean it !! Without any doubt, I need more fine positioning with the help of PT but it strikes me on such experience resembling much to what PT wrote in a Chinese article in another thread about people keep on changing gears without addressing the fundamentals such as room acoustics and speaker positioning, the latter being 'priceless' but in most cases would be very rewarding. PT, you are right!!

Marvel
  • Options
    Voy,

PT told me the same but it is hard for me to believe! Can it be definitive in such a brief setup and listening? Can PT be wrong this time and break his track record? The only observation I could share is PT is not an impulsive person like me who draws hasty conclusion without in-depth analysis. Also, his speed of correlating and processing data / details of mixed nature is incredible. Base on this, my 'impulsive' conclusion at this juncture is PT is right (again). Since the new turntable and tonearm is air bearing, I suspect the setup would be quite tricky in 'splitting the air' between the turntable and tonearm. I am totally green in this area and this may be a very naive worry.

Marvel

Marvel
  • Options
    marvel bro, I took away two legs from the big bird last night. I like it single leg better, smoother and more coherent.

I bite the air bullet without hesitation after that very seducing and provocative SMS. I know he never bluffs.
  • Options
    Voy, I hope I could move as fast as you in taking up the air bullet challenge. Perhaps I should also try to use one leg on the big bird. It is an inherent synchronisation issue but this is something too obvious to have missed out. I trust the designer has addressed this upfront. I would suggest you do a AB and then A comparison as I clearly recalled the gain in details and soundstage steadiness when I added from 1 to 3 because at that time my rack was not large enough to house 3 legs so I used 1 for an extensive period of time.

Marvel
  • Options
    Replacing one of the stock tube (input tube) to Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 brings more transparency cross the frequency spectrum. I have yet replaced the output tubes yet, PT recommends me to go for the United. I know several 805 users out there are using either RCA or United, can anyone please share some of the experience before I make a move.

Marvel
  • Options
    marvel bro, you are damn right. 3-motor sounds like push pull amplification, and 1-motor is simple SET. My preference is SET now.
  • Options
    RCA usually sound warmer in the mid-range, more lower mid bass. United has more transparence than RCA. Think of it as something like the Heritage DAC (United) versus the Zanden (RCA). I have both. Slyvania is good tube. But both are better than the stock 805 tube. The stock tube are crab, I cannot stand one minute of it. From my understanding of your speaker, you may be better off with United because the fostex flagship tweeter is clearly two notch below the TAD super tweeter. (Sorry, no offence just plain truth, and the ultimate goal is balance not just about trebel extension)

Your patience with stock tube seems much better than me. Did you blow any more fuse?
  • Options
    Raymond,

Absolutely not...I am aware of this tweeter difference. May be someday I will upgrade the tweeter. I totally agree with you that balance is important and excelling only in one or a few aspects is much easier than doing everything right and doing it all with above average scores.

I am now using 5A fuse and it hangs around for 4 days now. I think I can park with this level and go and get a better fuse than those got from ApLiu Street.

Marvel
  • Options
    marvel, what's your final decison on the 805 tube?