Skip to content
Options

Marvel's Wavac 805mk2

It has been quite awhile since we see Marvel bro switching gears.

Comments

• Options
    The power supply is damn heavy...!!
  • Options
    The polished spikes for the main unit
  • Options
    The main chassis.
  • Options
    Connecting Marvel's favorite EE cables....
  • Options
    The EC300B retires for the time being.
  • Options
    We blew up two fuses (3A) before the show began
  • Options
    A big thank to PT and his crew to help bringing the 805 to me today! Not a particularly good day on weather but at least it was not raining when the crew arrived in a big truck! 4 big boxes 2 of which are the power supplies which are much heavier. Though the SRAs for the power supplies have not arrived, I use my SRA for the Baldur to temporarily. The main units are however lying on the floor for the time being.

After several months bathing in the heaven of WE300B, the change to 805 is not insignificant. Bass immediately becomes more resourceful with unparallelled speed and dynamics (compared to all the amps that I have used in the past). I am still using the stock tubes and resolution on vocals and strings is obviously not (yet) in the same league as the EC300B that has accompanied me for many hours of pleasure listening! I am sure PT will help providing me with some exotic tubes as the 805 gradually burns in...

805 drives and controls Cessaro so magically well that I heard PT said twice that he should get one to pair up with his Cessaro. Not sure if he really means it but for me, I find them a natural couple and I start to hear more from my speaker as it opens up a lot today! Soundstage is so steady and background noise floor is extremely extremely low.

(A lot) to be continued....

Marvel
  • Options
    Throw the input tube into the garbage. Get a pair of Slyvania for maximum linearity. Forget the telefunken, they are merely compensator for the high. The stock 805 lacks coherence and resolution. They are pretty noisy, can't listen to the 805 without changing them. If you want more mellow sound, get the RCA. The United is for speed and transparency.
  • Options
    By the way, don't ever compare 300B with 805. They serve different purpose. I enjoy 805v2 the most with symphonic scores. The 300B always retains its reign on vocal and string.
  • Options
    Thanks Raymond.

Have you encountered any fuse blowing off on the Mk2? I blew up all the 3A and 4A fuses on the 'B' fuse position and I am going to try 4.5A and 5A today. 3A blew off instantaneously while 4A last for 1 day.

Marvel
  • Options
    It's common. I blew up 2 times. You are the champion.
  • Options
    燒fuse閒事啦....你對amp有排煲!
  • Options
    marvel bro, did you blow up a few more?
  • Options
    I changed to 5A tonight for about 3 hours now...seems ok...but the 4A ones blew up after 1 day so it is still early to say. Irrespective of this super minor issue, the amps are really fantastic in delivering much bass 'bouncing back' capability everytime when there is a deep dive. It can deliver superb dynamics both macroscopically and microscopically giving me a few hours enjoyment tonight on Tchaikovsky Violin concerto, vocals by Victoria DeLos Angeles...I almost forgot the issue on the fuse until I read this forum now...

Marvel
  • Options
    What powercord are you feeding the 805v2?