Skip to content
Options

Piano Diacera - The Empress's New Clothes

Comments

• Options
    PT is our 7/24 life guard!

How to deal with fundamental axial resonance of ~35-50 hz?

• Options
    I need to come and audition b4 recommending solution
  • Options
    Alecy, how's the course of bass development?
  • Options
    The speed of the amp matters. Most Class A design easily produces beefy low-end but sacrificing speed of lower mid bass. When the amp cannot grab the lower mid bass with adequate speed, your room suffers.

Fixing the room does not tackle the root cause. It will sound cleaner but whether the rhythm is right, your call.
  • Options
    Just began the tortuous route of re-positioning the speaker. With better alignment and more space with the bass reflex to breath, the soundscape is now more balanced.

What I find interesting is the way the PD opens up its voice. It was a bit subdue on Saturday (in a relative sense) but by Monday night, it was already roaring like a lion. Good lord my 4 months old baby girl had not awakened as otherwise there will be a general curfew for any additional run-in.

• Options
    Did you pull out the speakers father away from the back wall? By how many cm from the original position?

Ray, you got a point.
  • Options
    The speakers now stand 114cm from the front wall. That is 4cm further away than it was on Saturday. No toe-in and both bass reflex ports narrowly escaping the Vitus monoblocks.

The Vitus does not drag the lower mid bass. The problem is more a matter of finding the right spot for the PD. In a sense this is a problem I rather have than having a not so transparent speaker. The revealing power of PD is amazing and there is no escape for mediocrity.

• Options
    It sounds like PD is a pair of high efficiency speaker.
  • Options
    Alecy, is there any SRA boards in your system. If not, the are must-have requirements to your Nirvana.
  • Options
    Voy R,

Vibration ocntrol is to me a secondary concern. They add to the micro details but their values presuppose that the overall voicing is balanced.

I don't have any SRA yet but are using two "sound of silence" racks for the moment to house the gears. Aesthetically, they are pleasing and I still find it quite intriguing that the tightness of the side screws for each shelf can have a big impact / relationship with the gear each is holding. Not an AE product, I am afraid, but still a good product.

What rack(s) and vibration control are you using?

• Options
    SRA Ohio XL+2 boards for all gears. They are the only choice indeed. Because all other designs including yours are not doing the job properly. I don't accept compromises.
  • Options
    Voy R,

You must love Beethoven's music then...
  • Options
    I like all kinds of opera
  • Options
    Alecy, how'd you describe the sound of the PD now verus the 1st day?
  • Options
    Raymond,

Strings are delicate, detail and mellow with no sign of harshness even on the uppermost register. Rich tonal color with smooth transition across frequency span. Was listerning to Hilary Hahn's Sibelius violin concerto last night. Finnish fresh yet non-frigid. On a few notes where Hilary had overdone, the PD mercilessly revealed it with ease. Compared with the 1st day, the bass harmonics are now a lot more structured as a result of the re-positioning and further run-in.

For now, I just leave the system on Radio 4 durng the day at normal level. Recog may take a couple of weeks for the cabinet and drivers to settle in.