Skip to content

Dalby Audio Design Corner

Comments

• Hi,

I am sorry I meant to say the new titanium feet.

• Strapper211,

Welcome on board!

I have briefly tried duo but certainly have been using the single LV for a long time loving it much.

Titanium LV is much faster in transient and clear in shaping out the contours of the musical images.  Not sure about the stock supply now, I am sure you will love it.  

Their ground cables, Kyuku, Ode Grande, Meda are also ground breaking, don’t miss it.

Marvel
  • Hi Marvel,

Thank You for the info,I will also have to look into the Dalby ground cables.I am using tripont thor ground cables now.

Robert

• Lee hope your well how are the rest of you going ?
  • edited March 2021
    Kyoku Quantum Flow is the new flagship interconnect by Lee Dalby. The immense quality right at the beginning earns its place at Divin Lab from the phono stage to the preamp.

• Dalby Meda Ethernet finally arrived. 
  • edited April 2021
    The KLDS - Kyoku Lee Dalby Signature series 

• edited May 2021
    CELLIST
    Dalby Audio Design - Kyoku QF (曲)- an interconnect cable that allows me to “see through the soul of musician”.

Sometimes, I pity for cellists.  There are fewer concertos for their instrument than for the piano and violin.  Only two are generally considered masterpieces.  One is by Dvorak, and the other is Elgar.  The melancholic opening creates an intense atmosphere of yearning in silence.  The orchestration warrants the cello is alternate a partner and an adversary of the orchestra.  The orchestration diligently emphasises the cello’s solitariness so as to radiate the mood of loneliness.   

The Elgar Cello concerto had not become a legend until Jacqueline du Pre’s seminal recording at 1965, who was 20 at that time, injected a sense of youthfulness alongside mercurial lyricisms that profoundly ignited the imagination of the public.  Edward Elgar would have been elated to know that the world has taken this masterpiece to heart.  At his final moment of life, he was still humming the tune of the first movement, according to his friend.

I was auditioning Jacque Du Pre playing the Elgar Cello concerto at Divin lab.  The latest Dalby flagship interconnect, Kyoku QF, was connected between the Synastec Igniculus phono stage and the Zanden Gohsetsu 傲雪  preamp, since two weeks ago.  Ageing of the cable almost reached 100 hours.  The system at Divin Lab through the Kyoku QF interconnect exemplifies “Jacqueline was like a hurricane on cello”.  The expressivity came not just from the bow, but also from the left hand and every finger on the fingerboard.  Her playing was positive and passionate.   This is the first time I could comprehend her glowing tone with oaky complexity via her antique cello by Davidoff Stradivarius.  Her tone was sizeable, and beautifully burnished.  The leading edge of du Pre’s dominance will always be her relationship with Elgar Cello Concerto.  I sensed her freedom and spontaneity in alignment with her inner emotional core.  I felt like du Pre had just told me her life with everything she did with the cello in total sincerity.  I was touched. I was elated.  I am blessed by the totality of her emotion.

“Lee Dalby, how do you achieve such?” I whispered to myself.  Instead of digging into technical details, I went straight to change the Kyoku interconnect from the position of Synaestec Igniculus phono stage to the Wadax Atlantis Reference DAC/Server (Absolute Sound, Product of the Year 2020) connected to Zanden Gohsetsu 傲雪 preamp.  I went straight for Sheku Kanneh-Mason playing Elgar Cello concerto.   Sheku rocketed to fame at only 19 years old because he was  chosen by Prince Harry to play three pieces of music (Paradis’ Sicilienne, Faure’s Apres un reve, and Schubert’s Ava Maria) at his royal wedding in 2018, which was watched by 18 million people in the UK alone.  

Sheku’s playing was fluid and sweet, noble and heroic, and clearly less oppressively heavy than cellists of older generation.  Traditional critics may ask for more intensity, but the tenderness of Sheku’s interpretation is deliberate on purpose.  He tackles Elgar with poise and imagination.  His vibrato is deep and penetrating.  With the Kyoku QF interconnect on the Wadax super dac, I could visualise intense facial expressions, sharp intakes of breath and an passionate presence as though he was playing in Divin Lab exclusively for me.  The graceful, elegant, unstressed orchestral introduction was exquisite.  His subsequent dialogue with the orchestra was delicately engaging.  His 1610 Amati Cello must play a dominant role in shaping his enamelled sunniness tone, milky yet bright, took on dashing spirits in the headlong sprint to the end.  His interpretation of Elgar is indisputable exhilarating.  

JMF Audio PCD302 35th Anniversary 

Tripoint Troy Elite NG
    My listening experiences hitherto presume every component carries an equal weight in the extreme arena at Divin Lab.  I do not like to amplify or highlight the importance of any single item.  For instance, should I disconnect Tripoint Troy Elite NG and JMF Audio PCD102 from the system, I would not be able to experience what I shared here.  Likewise, the presence of SRA Virginia.2 amp stand underneath the Robert Koda Takumi K160 mono amplifiers and Arya Air Blade 180 tweeter to augment the Goebel Divin Majestic speakers are paramountly important.  Readers should read my comments with the right context in a holistic manner.  
    The Kyoku QF interconnect even reveals moment of incomparable serenity of the perceivable stage without dragging down the tempo or tempering the momentum of orchestration.   It allows me to “see” deeply into the emotional inner core of Jacqueline and Sheku via their skills/techniques (even the mood of the whole orchestra).  The objectivity of the stage blends seamlessly with the subjectivity of performer’s emotion.  This is a rarity.   It also inspires me to comprehend the differences of cellist from different era yielding musicality for humanity.  

Jacqueline represented the first generation of cellist post World War 2 illuminating freedom and spontaneity.  Sheku in the 21 century poises for calmness and tenderness to re-interpret the prodigious masterpiece with new perspectives. As a result, he inspires many young people particularly from the latino and black population.  
    Edward Elgar, Jacqueline Du Pre and Sheku Kannen-Mason are all English.  Elgar did not live not enough to see the glory of his seminal work.  Du Pre brought it to international fame but passed away too early at 42.  Her legacy influences, however, every single cellist thereafter.  Now, it is the turn of Sheku that catches the classical music world on fire.   If he had not performed in a charity function that caught the attention of Prince Harry, he would not appear at the Royal Wedding watched by 2 billion people.  Fundamentals of a person matter.  Luck catalyses fundamentals to consequential success.  Charity brings luck.  

Lee Paul Dalby is also from England.  He has done an extraordinary piece of work again, after the phenomenal Pirueta record weight. The Kyoku QF interconnect is the first cable ever that allows me to “SEE” so deeply into the soul of the performing musician. Thank you.
    Chris Leung