Skip to content
Options

Facts of life before the encounter of Takumi

Comments

• Options
    Use curtain on the window side. Not sure what the left channel is firing at. You can apply thicker towel or some other soft clothing material. But this is largely a trial and error exercise.

You don't really have a soundstage now, do you? Energy from the left channel leaks into the corridor; energy on the right bouncing everywhere. Probably, you have a very high densisty center stage with everything just right inbetween the speakers.
  • Options
    Marvel, have you treated the 1st reflection point by some sort of towel or curtain?
  • Options
    Hi, I have put another acoustic painting on the left hand side , due to a bookshelf on the right hand side doing a bit of absortion coupled with a combination of the 'glasshopers' and diffusors, I believe right hand side is not as big a problem as on the left hand side....improving...
  • Options
    What happened after the corridor side is treated?
  • Options
    marvel bro, what's the room situation now? I hate corridor - like a dark hole sucking energy big time
  • Options
    Corridor is a challenge...not much help..thinking to hang a carpet to close the corridor....
  • Options
    Uncle Raymond,

I think you are wrong this time. Marvel's system is very very good. The best performance "ever since" I met him a decade ago. Ralph and Mr.DV were there with me last night. It is very dynamic. Details are good and very refined. I think it is very good.

PT
  • Options
    I have been waiting someone to tell me I am wrong for a long time. It is a good news. What is the next step for Marvel? Are you going to get Wavac AC2 like Jeff does?
  • Options
    According to Ralph of Cessaro, one of the factors contributing to the current improvement in my listening environment is the solid wall at the back of the horn speakers which help to steer the energy to the front especially on the bass energy. In the past, my window and the window platform (solid concrete) has a difference of around 2ft in terms of depth thus distorting the energy reflection big time, not to mention the difference between the reflection/vibration from glass and the concrete.

Ralph demo the bass energy reflection by putting a heavy cartoon box in the corridor on my left hand side (as you can see from the photo) and we all reckoned a better bass definition coming out from the left hand side.

My next move....you are right, AC2 is very very appealing as I have been frequently communicating with Jeff from Taiwan on his experience using it. To copy Alecy's words, 'shocking is perhaps an understatement'....

Marvel
  • Options
    Jeff is certainly crazy. He wants Ralph to use Takumi amplifier to drive his subwoofers tower for his upcoming Cessaro Beta project.

I have the AC1 up and running for almost 2 years. After this AC conditioning experience, you lose interest on everything else. You can't go wrong with AC2.
  • Options
    Marvel bro, when is your Takumi due? Are you going to build mega horn system? I enjoy reading your equipment review very much. You are spot on most of the time.
  • Options
    Voy,

Thanks for your compliments. My review is mostly based on comparison and admittedly I have learnt a lot more about the importance of room acoustics after I changed my apartment recently. Now I asked more about how people deal with acoustics than just focusing on gears and cables. Of course the fun part is always on gears and cables!

My Takumi will arrive possibly in 1Q and I have ordered the SRA for them as well. Not sure if I have got the space for these big guys but this is honestly an amp to die for (yes, I said it many times in the past few years whenever I wanted to change power amps)

Marvel
  • Options
    Have you placed the order for AC2?
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

It has been quite awhile I go into this area although I have been privately chatting with Marvel and Bigpiece on a constant basis.

The reason not appearing too often here is I have a hi fi playboy character like Marvel bro. I almost have everything but I don't have too much insights compared to Raymond and Mr.Zanden. But don't get me wrong. I am reading this forum almost three times a day. This is an interesting place with so much to learn.

There is so much new exotic toys around this corner.

But I have to say the greatest buy this year is the Tripoint Troy and the Wavac AC2. The combination of the Grimm Clock, Troy and AC2 compliment each other. Have anyone of you could felt there is a 2nd stage (dress circle) on the carnegie hall (Belafonte recording)? That's why I heard afer I connected my front end to the AC2. Later on, I took out the clock and the 2nd stage is gone! I added the clock back. I could feel the upper stage again. Then, I disconnected again from AC2, the upper stage disappeared! I have tried back and forth with a group of crazy audio nuts and we have to conclude the best is the let the Wavac clean up the AC noises for front end gears; Orb Kyoto for connection purely for amplifiers; tripoint to clean all the ground noises, and last but not least is SRA to clean up on mechanical vibrations. This is my way and I see no other ways can be better than this.

This year, despite all the financial problems and my own family issues, there is a big advancement in my audio system. It is not light years ahead of any previous system I had owned.

I can also make a statement that the greatest buy of all products in my audio life spanning over 20 years is the Tripoint Troy, period. I eagerly anticipate the master reference grounding wire. I want to see how kind of magic it will bring.

Greeting from Taipei!

Jeff
  • Options
    PT, Ralph told me your mega horn system is really crazy and can play all kind of music with just a one box Zanden CDP. I am ready for the Beta upgrade. He dosen't seem to buy the idea of using two Takumi to drive the subwoofer section. Any ideas why is this the case?