Skip to content
Options

Facts of life before the encounter of Takumi

Comments

• Options
    I am using FMR with 833. The vintage KT88 that I had may help smoothing a bit but at the expense of leading edges.
  • Options
    Did someone get a chance to audition the Takumi over the weekend? If anyone did, please kindly share more.
  • Options
    Hello, I presume there is no typhoon in Beijing. In Hong Kong, the name of the typhoon is called "Takumi".
  • Options
    I did an audition last Saturday, but as an 833 users I don't want to say too much here. One thing I can assure is when Mr. Robert Koda fine tuned his Takumi he did use a lot of musical instruments as reference. I have to give my tribute to him. Anyway the war will begin soon, I should let the other AE fellows to comment on the results.
  • Options
    You have a good pair of ears. Your short description says a lot more than mine. The use of the word "tribute" shows you were more than impressed.
  • Options
    Danny's comments are even more lethal than Uncle Ray!
  • Options
    I brought the Takumi home on Thursday. I am happy to loan it for the upcoming amp war. I understand it a lot more under the Sunray. No regret. Great amp.
  • Options
    Where is your 833? The 833 is a great pair of amp. Under the Sunray, what are their primary differences? I am always attracted by the portrait of the overall atmosphere by the 833.
  • Options
    Oh yes, I am curious to know too where is your 833. What are the primary differences between 833 and takumi driving the Sunray?
  • Options
    Somewhere in China. The Takumi is good.

I have written enough on this subject. Others who have heard it should express thier opinions. Don't follow mine. I am not meant to be some sort of leader. Always take my opinion lightly is the way to go.

Also, the 833 is a great amp. I enjoyed it for 2.5 years without regret. It's time to move forward. Over time, anyone's listening preference will change. Tonality correctness is more important to me nowadays than theatrical atmosphere. The logic is simple: how can the atmosphere be correct when the tonality is twisted to certain favor.

I went to a concert to listen for a musical performance. The hall ambience and the reaction of the audiences play a supporting role. I don't pay to listen to the coughing of audiences. Of course, it would be nice if they could be reproduced. But the main dish is the music performance itself.

But then I didn't miss any of the atmosphere. I am listening to one full picture performance to my own preference.

Again, don't take my words too seriously. This is a place for discussion.
  • Options
    I just spent a pleasurable hour to listen to the Takumi and immediately I can relate to Raymond's decision to take it under its wings to drive the Sunray.

In that short encounter, the music integration is so compelling, irrespective of the sub-optimal SRA stands and driven only by a one-box Zanden player, that one may suffer from a sensual overdose. Vocals are just beautiful with plenty of soul and human warmth. If one has to describe it, Koda's approaches music holistically in which all the components are gel together to re-create the experience. It arouses the senses. In the contrary, Tidal builds emotion from the constituents with emphasis on speed and coherency. The emotions emanates in the cerebral rather than as flesh and blood.

As I listened to the Takumi, my mind drifted to project the pleasures of having the best of both worlds. Knowing Raymond as a pragmatic arrogant comrade, I am not surprised at all to see him take the plunge to enjoy the whirlpool of emotions. Good move.
  • Options
    Alecy, you are always welcome to explore the space of my arrogant mind.
  • Options
    My setup in my new apartment...space wise it is not bigger but acoustically, it sounds better and tonally more balanced than my previous one. A solid wall at the back with 2 acoustics paintings and 2 'blue pillars' making the sound depth and soundstage more complete. In the past, I have got only one 'blue pillar' and no painting at the back, now it sounds more complete with much better focus.
  • Options
    Structure-wise, the tonality of the room should be less bright than the previous one. Shape-wise, the previous room has a better rectangular shape. The corridor and the glass at both right and left are very problematic. The treatment of the 1st reflection point must be done, especially the section leading to the corridor.
  • Options
    Thanks Voy,

I am sure this is another journey for me to deal with the acoustics in the new environment. I am not sure if there is a shortcut for me but certainly dealing with the 1st reflection point has already been pinpointed by PT on the first day he visited me. Are there any alternatives than using the paintings as I find both locations not so convenient to put a painting there.

Marvel