Skip to content
Options

Packing up the Virtu for Mr.DV - on the way to Hong Kong!

Comments

• Options
    Are you having difficulty to find words to describe the Virtu? Just write anything off your mind even though it does not make sense. That may tell us even more.
  • Options
    OK Voy, let start on this way.

As you can see from the photo, they are limited position, quite big, close to the seat and hollow front wall, but all this cannot limit the Da Vinci full suit + Virtu, the wild open music picture just in the house, at front of me, never from a speaker!!! I can feel the music combine with the room in very natural way( Different with the energy or quality layering bass fill-up the room that I heard in the past. ) I can swear every notes, every sound I heard is absolutely does not sound like reproduce from an audio system, I cannot smell any Hi-Fi factor from this system, sound is very strong lively realistic. And the most important thing that I most respect, is the system deliver the Art feeling of music. I believe this system is developed by a team who are understand art and built by their heart. This is definite sound like a music instrument, the best sound I ever heard even not yet fine tune.
  • Options
    Mr. DV,

You must be in audio heaven.

Just thinking about how music transcends your 4 walls has me salivating for salvation.

When can you offer an open house?
  • Options
    The Virtu does not sound like a spk system, it sounds like a music instrument with modern decor.
  • Options
    Ray, your AAS Gabriel Aston Martin Black is ready.
  • Options
    It's good to know only 77 pieces will be made for this Aston Martin Onyx Black Version. The only turntable that can sonically and aesthetically match with my Sunray.
  • Options
    Mr.DV,

You have been very quiet ever since the arrival of the Virtu. What's happening over your side?

This new grand reference cartridge from Da Vinci, I was told, only you and I, are running it in HK. How do you like it?

Ray
  • Options
    Uncle Raymond, your turntable arrived?

The Virtu sound great in my room, the bass is fast and weight, the overall energy is in very good control, this help take me out of some serious trouble from room acoustic problem. This is a very good speaker system in any view. Frankly speaking, the setup still need lot of fine tune and run-in on those driver, the room has some limitation, if my listening spot can move 1 feet backward that will be perfect, then d 3 dimension from most piano record will sound much more like a real stuff. And refer some more on the lower energy, It is fast and weight, but I still felt it is a bit soft, I will try some more different way to perfect it.(I m not saying it lack bass, pls understand my standard!) In the past month, I m in hunger on listening music, a bunch of record are still waiting to listen. Also, trying different power cord combination and some 300B tubes(the Emission is quite good value!) I found I enjoy so much and never feel tired to listening through this DV suit, I can play the same record for 3 to 4 times and not feel boring, It does give me larger enjoyment than some live concert. This is welcome to come knock my door and listen music.

last night, I was so happy after I connect a ground wire to Zero cdp, it does improve the overall details, I found there is an extra layer of tone color that I never heard before, and that piano CD is a record I always listen!!! (This also take credit to the speaker……)

Chirs, I know this is trouble, pls pull out the 5U4G from your storage room to me. Thank you!
  • Options
    Glad to know you are enjoying music after music. The Gabriel plays music. That's all I can say. Although we are totally sitting in different camp, we have chosen the same turntable. I only listened to the Unison turntable once when I first auditioned the Troy. I know the people behind Da Vinci knows what is music.

His way of achieving musicality is different from Tidal but I respect people who share the same goal seriously despite the differences in philosophy and methodologies.

You should go visit PT and have a taste of Tidal. Not everyone understand it and not everyone like it. PT told me Charles wanted to leave after a few tracks as he feels bass energy is not enough. I am happy to read about different opinions. As a owner of Wavac 833 for 2 years, I can certainly understand the taste of solid state may not fit all tube fanatics.

The point is not to convince anyone to like Tidal but to understand different routes of achieving musicality. If both of us has chosen Gabriel as the last record player on earth, it must be the case there are something common between you and me in the understanding of musicality.

Keep up the good spirit. You are good.
  • Options
    Mr.DV, I am curious to know your opinion after you listened to the Tidal. Just want to remind you that clarity does not equal to "german sound". There is no sound imparted by the Tidal. If there is, it reflects the preference of the owner. I never feel I am listening to solid state but I always know I am listening to tubes.
  • Options
    My experence on Tidal full suit is interesting, i heard once at Alecy room, the character and the way of achieve music is very simular to my own system on that period(DV amp with Tango + Zero), or i should say i thought i m listening to my own system, thats why i know very clear the problem on his system. i hope i m not confusing mr. alecy.... I m looking forward to visit PT again too, I always has fun in his tiny Magic room.

Refer to Grand Ref cartridge, it is better you share more.(I m so green on Vinyl), it is more clear, open and 3D.. blablabla from previous model, i felt stunning when i first hear it. Acturally, both are very good, and I felt the previous flagship model is easier to listen for some people like vinyl sound.
    And the insolate for my phono stage power supply is very very very important.(i put them too close to each other with no choice) losing some detials now. But this is the funny part of Audio, isn't it?
  • Options
    Mr. DV,

When you have time please come over to have another listen to my mini Tidal system. I recently re-arranged the sequence of power cords in terms of which ports they are drawing power from the Kyoto (really by trial & error) and found it had a huge impact on system performance. I know you have dedicated Kyotos for your gears so you should appreciate what I was referring to with my little discovery. Compared with your last visit, the Impact has also moved from the chicken FE rack to floor standing now finally resting on a custom made SRA board. The transition from FE to floor confirmed that FE is a sub-optimum component in my system but the lack of bass extension and definition was still a notable issue. This has persisted through rounds of experiments after your visit (mostly with negative results but they did help to filter down the cuprit list) until the Kyoto re-configuration and the arrival of the SRA for impact.

For an improvement that helps one to peel off layers of rusty onion skins to reveal the inner core beauty of music, shocking is an under-statement! The magic of "right" powering the gears and the removal of vibrational noise (albeit at the moment only for the Tidal's Impact) really rock me to my soul. If I had been mesmerized by the dynamic rhythms and melodies in music, the revelation brings forth by proper energization and unclouded controlled bass is as powerful as being given a new leash of life. The bass texture now has the clarity for me to re-construct the lower registry of piano to appreciate the complete sonority of music within. I was listening tirelessly to Paul Lewis playing Beethoven's Pathetique over the weekend. What a magnificent execution by Lewis - it is passonate, accurate with splash of daringness to bring out the tonal grandeur and structure in the masterpiece.

I am so glad that my sytem is finally able to project with convincing clarity that music is flowing through as if I am unscrolling the scores. Clarity as in reality as opposed to clarity as in a glass of distilled water. And despite the tragic sonority of the Pathetique, I emerged from the weekend more confident that my system can sail through tougher challenges ahead. Very happy indeed.
  • Options
    Burn rest of the FE rack.
  • Options
    Mr.DV, this is Peter's new showroom in Europe.
  • Options
    No room treatment or no need for any room treatment in Peter's showroom, I admire his confidence.Mr DV, do you have any further thoughts on this.