Skip to content
Options

Trubute to Mr.Ulrik Madsen who created the FMR

Comments

• Options
    FMR加埋條Flow喇叭線真係嚇死我
  • Options

Got my 2nd FMR ic this Monday, the impact was still very shocking. The downside is I cant stand with the SMR family anymore. I immediately checked PT when my FMR spk cable will arrive. Just too sad to learn that its scheduled in APR.

The launch of FMR and flow just set a new benchmark and definition of "high end" cables. Full suite of FMR from end to end is definitely ideal. Even a combination of FMR plus Flow is already a top notch solution.

Cant wait anymore, PT, JLAM, any chance to get my order expedited?

Bigpiece
  • Options
    上海大舊哥, 連我壇細野都能感受到那種冇自然冇阻的流暢. 我只有FMR走頭, Flow前去後, Flow喇叭線, 已經好happy. 究竟用第二對FMR後又會點? 由於你和啞力兄台都是由SMR轉FMR, 所以分別好大, 但我已用了Flow, 不知這個upgrade值唔值.

點解AE線材顧問Marvel大大沒有深入評論兩對FMR的經驗? 難度被絛古董SMR EE喇叭線阻住FMR傳訊? 作為你的fans, 希望能分享你的經驗. 相信有好多AE朋友也想理解FMR/SMR/Flow的合作性/互動性, 敬請賜敦, 因我又心癢想用第二對.

天鵝皇子, 得知你現在也全Flow, 可否分享下?
  • Options
    Bro Fat,
    As you would readily agree, every change in the transmission/ cable chain would bring forth to change in the sound quality irrespective of the remaining parts. SMREE speaker cables in my view, would not be a blocking factor for me to benefit from the overall improvements brought by the FMR interconnects. I have once tried to use FMR from my Bergmann turntable to Tidal phono and then another pair running into the power amp. I have changed recently to use a pair of SMREE from Bergman because I feel that the hum sound created when I play LP is due to the contact of the FMR connectors on the Tidal side, I had all the house engineers of AE (Wai, Chik) helping me to solve the hum sound but in vain. Eventually, I replace the FMR by SMREE and hum sound disappeared. This may be an one-off incident as I have never heard others reported the same when using FMR.

Bro Fat, I see no reason to stop you from using the 2nd pair of FmR and like Bigpiece, moving to a whole suite of FMR is perhaps our utlimate destiny. At the moment, my priority is still on upgrading the speaker in early Apr when Ralph will visit HK again. For sure, FmR speaker cable will be in my system once I have found a new owner for my existing SMR EE.

Marvel
  • Options
    Bro Fat,

I will run through the various permutation of FMR/FLOW IC tonight on my analog section so hopefully will be able to shed some lights. But don't expect the analysis will be as in-depth as Bro Marvel - no one can match his expertise and critical listening skill.

There is a risk that I will in shock and regretted purchasing the FLOWs instead of FMRs. And this fear is rising.

• Options
    Bro Fat,

My third pair of FMR will arrive soon, if you are "prepared" for the excitement of double FMR, feel free to have a try before I take them back to Shanghai.

Marvel bro, overheard that you will get a EMT phono stage. I trust you will also order a few more pairs of FMR to support your unison with multiple arms, like Thales + Shilabe, Davinci Grand Ref, and Bergman + MC Winfield... Looking forward to this grand setup, though I believe you will consider Davinci Phono as one of the ultimate solution. Please reserve a seat for me. Thanks

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece, unlike you, both space and $$ are immediate constraints for me...even if I could afford more FMR interconnects, I cannot connect up so many gears given the limied space. Now I have to move away my Zanden DAC in order to house the Zanden phono for use with In Unison. EMT phono is, according to PT, a collector item and he always I always shed doubts if I could fully exploit its functions, the many switches and knobs on the front panel is not entirely comforting to me...in the meantime, I might try another 'out of the box' phono with exotic design but not exotic price.

Marvel
  • Options
    Alecy, don't flatter me please...my listening skill and knowledge on music is miles behind yourself! Flow and FMR are close (85% to 100%) although the prices are not. Flow immediately knocked down my then SMRSE at ease but not SMREE in terms of the body weight and bass quantity. Flow however is already differ by very slight margin from SMREE in terms of all other attributes but it is still because of the bass making it sounds a little bit tight and slim compared to SMREE. SMREE has however no edge over FMR and loses to FMR on the coherence and transparency. I used an equilateral triangle to help visualising the energy dispersion depicted by SMREE which todate, I am still of the opinion that SMREE has a very balanced dispersion of energy from high to low. Difference between SMREE and FMR is that the flow of energy is more continuous in the case of FMR making it more coherent and organic.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel大大, 你的經驗正正是力兄和大舊哥的相反, 佢地的經驗剛剛和你相反. 佢地愈黎愈頂唔順未換的SMR喇叭線, 但你條古董EE又冇問題. 究竟點解? 是不是喇叭分析力未夠? 不過你好快就有答案, 因為"洛夫"由專程來幫你upgrade.

你不要跟大家開玩笑啦, 又達文西盤, 泰利唱臂, emt瘋奴, 你大可即刻掃對FMR喇叭線啦. 但重點係邊個傁仔會買古量姨姨喇叭線呢?
  • Options
    Bro Fat, you are probably right on the resolution of my speaker compared to that of Bigpiece and Alec...I will be able to tell after the upgrade....as a long time supporter of EE series, bear with me that it would take some time for me to phase them out gradually but before the advent of FMR, SmR EE is still one of the best among all the cables in the market, I cannot agree with you that buying it at a fraction of my original price is unwise.

Marvel
  • Options
    對不起Marvel大大. 小弟一時口快, 敬請原諒
  • Options
    hi alecy,

I do expect your in depth analysis. When will be the best suit time to visit you? Long long time no see. I would love to experience the music motion of your new speaker.

JLam
  • Options
    No worry, Bro Fat, this is the kind of healthy debate we need to foster. Cables is always an integral part of the whole system including the room acoustics and admittedly I have put on too much focus in the past on cables without dealing with the fundamentals. PT corrected my thoughts by self demonstrating this point, he is not using an entire suite of EE or FMR, in fact, he uses several entry level cables, but yet his system leads ahead of mine by miles.

Marvel
  • Options
    Excuse if I can share some actual user comment here.

I am the man using 1st generation SMR EE spk cable and switched to Flow speaker cable. Obviously, my pocket is not as deep as Jeff, no spare penny for FMR spk cable. I once did a demo to Jeff and a group of friends between 1st gen SMR EE and Flow, using two violin records from mutter (a child/grown up performing the same music), and two piano record from Kissning (a child/grown up performing the same music).

Forget transparency for the time being as Flow simply surpasses the former champion by a planet. The old SMR EE's depiction of the bass is always forceful, big energy, on both recording, both child and adult. When we switch to Flow spk cable, the pacing, and the dynamic of the mid bass has so much more to offer, the contrast resolution is what it makes it really tick quickly in the mind of most listener. The difference between the child and adult on both recordings is clear after the flow goes into my system.

When they were child, the energy protruding from the bass section is smaller, when they become adult, there are much more control on the bass. When we switched back to the oSMR EE 1st gen spk cable one more time, the child seems to process the strength of the adult, and even if it is true in the case of Kissning as some may argue, the control and pacing are not there.

When we tested orchestra/jazz recording, the SMR EE 1st generation spk cable has a fatter bottom end which some audiophiles may like. But I don't listen that way as I know it lack details, pacing, absence of contrast on bass notes. However, I do agree without hesitation that it is the best spk cable I had came across between 2003-2006. (then the new version of SMR EE appeared in 07 to very limited people but it is no doubt another major leapfrogging.) Thanks Jeff selling his SMR EE 1st gen to me in 2005. It is always my reference from 2005 onward until the arrival of Flow. I'm very glad Argento brings down the price point so much with such technological break-thru.

Hung (Taipei)

• Options
    I didn't know until recently that my SMR EE spk cable is actually FMR except the lugs.