Skip to content
Options

Trubute to Mr.Ulrik Madsen who created the FMR

One week has passed since the arrival of the first pair of FMR. In the past 100 hours, my listening experience in the past 25 years with all the legendary audio equipment/cables you can think of, had never get me this inch close to the source as now. I have swapped back to EE, Odin, and a few cost-no-object cables brought from some decades-long old friend. None of them works the way a cable should.

Unlike Marvel bro, I am "not" a cable freak. I never side with any brand. If it is good, then it is good. If it is bad, then they can't stay. Simple and easy logic. The arrival of the FMR let me understand no matter how expensive and ultimate your speakers and components are, you can't get approach the ultimate truth of source when the linkages are either contaminated and broken. There are so many ways these inter-linkages can color the sound to anyone's liking. I have no problems with whatever colorations cable guys are trying to sell as long as the customers are happy. But I demand much more than colorations, my goal is to get closer to the genuine source. Note that this is different from recreating a concert hall in my home. I never dare to do that despite the desire promised by numerous audio technology. 25 years had gone, I simply know that is impossible. I wish I can do magic but it is just not possible.

Getting closer to the genuine source is more achievable, relatively speaking but gauging what much colorations are there in the chain requires years of experiences to identity. Even if you can identify, you may like it and doesn't want to get rid of it. During the days of SMR, for a short moment, I thought this was quite a cable but upon repeated listening, there was clearly some degree of stress at the upper frequencies. It couldn't do the job right, sold them all. There was a brief period of mix and match until the arrival of SMR EE. I said to myself, why not gave it another chance. That was 2 years ago and since then the cable part of the equation was done deal.

Curiosity drove me to get a pair of FMR. From a need perspective, the SMR EE is just perfect for all of my musical appreciation needs. When I plugged in the FMR between the Zanden suite and the Tidal Preos, the first few seconds felt like an awakening call. The next hours had me confused what is right and what is wrong. In the 2nd day, I started writing down notes on my favorite recordings. I draw down a list of details revealed by the FMR but can't revealed by the EE. After a pages, I gave up. I simply gave up because I was convinced that is a whole new ball game. I am not touched by the technology and I don't care how Mr.Ulrik Madsen create it, for one thing I am sure is those music that I heard thousand times now touch my heart directly. It is so direct to the point where emotion drove out a few tears after mid-night.

As all of you know, I am one arrogant asshole, never compromise, and speak like God. Yet, I am always truthful to my feelings and my view point on audio. There are just too much bullshit in the industry for too long.

For the first time, I feel like acting as a reviewer though I never trust this group of commercial people but my conscience makes me decide to do the following.

I am going to make a medal to pay tribute to Mr.Ulrik Madsen who create this cable with whatever technology that this old man don't care but the very presence of FMR once again get me much closer to music - the most important art ever in mankind history. If any one of you feel like paying tribute (not from Hi Fi perpectie), please reply to this post and I will get your name up there on the medal.

Ray

Comments

• Options
    The cost of the medal will be entirely borne by me. I will ship it personally to Denmark.
  • Options
    Marvel being a long time follower of Argento, certainly puts the highest salute to this new generation of cable that FMR has achieved. Please include me if there is a space.
  • Options
    I haven't received mine yet. Can you wait for 2 weeks to 1 month?
  • Options
    Ray, you are one crazy bastard! Agree every words of yours, very powerful and insightful. My name must be on!
  • Options
    Put me on.
  • Options
    PT poisoned me with one pair of FMR for less than 2 hours last Saturday, the extraordinary experience is too difficult for me to describe here. The FMR makes me feel I never understand my source before, I don't think I will turn on my system again until two pairs of FMR arrive.

Raymond, please count me in!
  • Options
    Good morning chaps, I'm yet to receive mine. But Ray's message touches me so much. He's unbiased and truthful to share his feelings.

How big is the medal gonna be? I'm afraid of limited space for too many names, probably including mine.
  • Options
    Hi Rob and everyone,

I am also a Hi Fi playboy, but at the exponential scale. I net-pal with Marvel bro for many years, so we know each other very well. I am clearly not as serious/knowledgable as Ray. People outside this community, when they read Ray's message, probably thinks we are all crazy bastard here. For those even had a brief encounter with FMR like DSo's 2 hours, would understand why. This group is high quality people, don't bluff and carries long experience either as Hi Fi playboy or serious listener. Each of us uses similar equipment, though tastes can be very different, and room acoustics very different too, and our experiences on FMR converges.

Your tribute act is honorable. My name is on.
  • Options
    從末見過客要頒獎比廠家, 我雖未買FMR, 但一對Flow已經是一鳴驚人.
  • Options
    Put me on. The FMR is one crazy holy cow!
  • Options
    I will not do the medal until everyone is sure to put his name on. I plan to do the medal in early April, that should allow time for everyone to decide. I don't want "hype" created by peer pressure. If anyone of you feel like taking off the name after awhile, please report here. No problem. Tribute should reflect gratitude but not short-term excitement.
  • Options
    Just got mine. Running them now on my mixer. I will listen at midnight when my work will begin.
  • Options
    Absolutely mind boggling. My listening started at 12:00am and last till now. Some of the recordings I made myself, with the FMR, the spatial dimension comes back. I almost felt the experience is only inch different from the day where I recorded it live. It is pretty close.

Ray, when I read your message I could not imagine frankly what are you trying to say although I know you are serious listener. I understand every bit of your tribute intention after this morning. I don't have too much cable experience. My last cable was serenity reference bought 3 years ago. Pretty happy with its transparency, balance, and sounds natural. I have no idea about EE already scare off by the price tag. This is not a small jump. This is revolutionary.
  • Options
    I first learnt about this interesting PT chap from the Marco Polo magazine of Cathay Pacific last year. His veiw point on the difference between sensational sound and music caught my attention. One evening, after a few days of long haul (I work in the sky), I googled this chap and discovered that this guy is a banker, not a very good impression when I watch all the saddened news of old people losing tons of money. Anyway, I called his bank and look for him as I am interested in Zanden mentioned a few times in the cathay magazine by PT. We then went out for a drink. Interesting chap, knowledge seems all round from audio to danish furniture.

My source was Wadia 7+9 long long time ago, Cello suite linestage and levinson amp. This guy is great and I was convinced to throw the 7+9 to the dustbin. The Zanden great source system was in. Wow! All the cold edges were gone. I can finally grasp what he meant by sensational sound and music. He dragged me into a big black hole. Subsequently, my preamp was swapped to 3000 linestage. Then, at the beginnig of the year, he let me test trial Zanden 300B push pull amp with Horning speakers. What the fXXk! A complete Zanden system driving the Horning is superb, real superb. With good music, here comes the sexy parts. I brought a "few" girl friends to my home and they were so impressed by my new system. It became so much easier for me to explore these "girls" much deeper than before with Zanden music.

Two weeks ago, I was bored, real bored. None of the girls were in town. I call up this guy. I asked, "Anything interesting and exciting?" He said, "FMR". What the fuck is FMR? He said a cable. How can a damn cable be so interesting and exciting? The next day, he sent a pair to Discovery Bay. When I opened it up, it seems there was no beef there, very light weight but flexible kind of pony tail cables. How can that be so exciting? Are these people crazy? I hooked them up in between the dac and the preamp. Jumped on the coach and hit the play button.

"What the fuck??" I felt like I am flying in the sky, no limit, no boundaries, this is pure ear-gasm after 2 or 3 hours. The rest I didn't remember as the girls were back home.
  • Options
    Got mine last night. Just crazy! Please count me in if there is still room. Thanks