Skip to content
Options

Welcome TIDAL to the AE Community

Comments

• Options
    When is your reality check thru the EC300B?
  • Options
    Marvel兄, VR大佬說得有理, 幾時試下部黃金俠EC300B? 呢部係世界公認的堅野. 最好即場amp比amp就最精彩!
  • Options
    Fat hing, Voy,

I will get the EC300B on loan from PT this weekend and try it. I had a lengthy discussion with PT last night on the path that I should take and I am sure this EC300B brief stay would enlighten me a lot in deciding the way forward. Of course, veterans like yourself, Voy are all welcome to come and join the comparison party in order to chip in your views. I will try to get some gatherings again nearer to the Chinese New Year.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel Bro.,

What's the verdict? It's ze American 300 Bomber vs the Deutesch Tank. Who's left standing?
  • Options
    Not yet...I still have not got the EC300B as PT's crew were busy this weekend. I will get it someday this week hopefully. Please drop by and give me some advice on my current setting.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel Bro,

My own pair of horns are already in Hong Kong and will be installed this week. Need the agent to run in the 15-inch woofer for me so hopefully Wednesday :-)

Kondo 300B Push-Pull, plus Tom Hidley/Rey Audio, vs. Wavac 300B Single End + Cessaro. Both TAD units. It's will be very interesting comparisons.
  • Options
    The EC300B will be there towards the end of this week.. Has your horn speakers already delivered?
  • Options
    If no more surprises, to be installed Wed.

It was delayed for a few days due to heavy snow in Hakone but supposed to have landed in HKG this past weekend....
  • Options
    Matthew do you have a link to your new horns, are they on the Rey website? Thanks Keith.
  • Options
    Keith,

Yes, you can see them on the rey website. I am getting the Tom Hidley Model 1, which look identical to the Rey RM-5LC. Did think about the vertical twin woofer :-) but that's too much for my small space......
  • Options
    Matt Hi, so just one 15" woofer, the mid is a TAD 4001 and the tweeter is the 703? A modern version of the TAD Exclusive 2401, does your speaker have the two front ports? Keith.
  • Options
    Keith,

It's has similar configuration to 2402 actually. But that's like saying the Cessaro Alpha One is like 2402 with 703 added on. OK, maybe not THAT far :-)

The woofer is 1601b (instead of a), and the 4001 is modified and goes down to 425Hz (instead of 650). Horn is 105 degree instead of 90 degree. The units are matched diaphragm, matched guass (and you know of cost of the 4001 and 1601's. With stock 4001 spec'd at +- 5db, it takes 20 4001 to get a gauss-matched pair, and then the matched diaphragm). The Hidley Model 1 is also considerably larger and heavier as well. No super tweeter. I listened to the twin woofer version in another Hidley designed room, and it's actuall ok. I had 2402 before and I always felt the high were rolled off, but this time, it doesn't feel the same way. Probably because there is no reflected sound to muddle things up.... but will see once I have them installed.....
  • Options
    Matthew Hi, be interested to hear how they sound, personally I wouldn't run a 4001 all the way up, and I believe TAD drivers measure pretty much to spec, ( unlike some other hugely expensive 'hand made' compression drivers ) may I ask how much they cost ? Keith.
  • Options
    Keith,

Probably this is not the place to discuss the cost of my speakers..... and besides, the are not available for order stand-alone (i.e. it's room + speakers only, and preferably w/ amplifications :-)

I think I read an interview of Glenn Phoenix of Westlake about the choice of JBL vs. TAD drivers. I think if you purchase TAD drivers alone, the tolerance is 5db, whereas JBL is over 10db. The tricky bit is that the measurements are with the diaphragms. So if the magnets and diaphragms are not both matched, things will go awfully wrong when you replace the diaphragms.

What kind of exotic drivers have you experienced? I am keen to know, as I keep seeing these things from ALE, Goto, GT Sound and some Sony alnico drivers mentioned in magazines (though Sony quit that business a while ago). I have not personally heard any of these exotic drivers, and I am curious how they sound.....
  • Options
    More Tidal pictures - they are gorgeous