Skip to content
Options

Wavac 833 Party this Sunday?

Comments

• Options
    I check the wavac website, the 833 frequency range from
    20Hz to 100KHz, it should respond the SACD play back.
    Do Ongaku has output volume? Do you maximum it when paly back SACD?
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

My Ongaku does have volume control ( I am not sure what you mean by output volume).

While i don't set it to max at the moment, I did try that setting, and didn't have any issues.

The issues you have having is that, when music is playbing from SACD, you can hear high frequency noise? Hissing? Crackle? Or some kind of distortion? I would guess that if this is a gain issue, you will heard distortion instead of noise.....

I assume that you don't have this issue when using your MXR previously?

When you set the "output volume" to lower settings, does the noise completely go away? Or just reduced? Try borrow a transformer based volume control to insert between your pre and power. This way, you can (1) reduce the overall gain to see if that helps. (2) removed the impedance mismatch possibility. The impedance of the amp changes as you change the volume (assumming it's a simple volume pot that attenuate the input from the pre).

Assuming that every piece of gear in your chain in functioning properly, I can only imagine some kind of mismatch making the system unstable/ring badly.....
  • Options
    Philip Hing, I did it. Before burn in of the 833, I turn down the volume of 833 from 30 to 18, the nosie disappear and keep the dynamic when turn up the volume on PR-T1.
    After burn in the 833, it is another story, you can't turn down the volume of 833.
    welcome AE bro to home visit if interested in.
  • Options
    studiogrey,

are you using xlr input of the pr-t1? if yes, change to rca input becuse the xlr input of the pr-t1 is transformer coupled. i think sacd has higher output gain, then pass thru the transformer coupled xlr input, the output is too high. if you use rca input of pr-t1, there is not transformer and signals go directly to the circuit.
  • Options
    MatthewC hing, the noise just like when you play back some old record" 絲絲沙沙"
    I read some magazine that also add a transformer based volume control between pre and power but I think that is not necessary becasue the 833 has own volume control.
    Anyway, the tube amp is new experience for it, A lot of fun!
  • Options
    Philip Hing, Thank advice! I will try it tonight.
  • Options
    SRA with 833
  • Options
  • Options
    studiogrey, did you try use rca input of pr-t1? The 833 on SRA is gorgeous, but you should use original spike plate. It is even better.