Skip to content
Options

Horning Eufrodite Ultimate Signature driven by Wavac 805

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I have the Zanden 1200 phono. I like its very balance presentation but not extreme enough to satisfy people like PT. I listened to the mono block DV phono once, though his Eufrodite was constrainted by space. As I said, the timbre realism of string instrument/vocal/piano is very closed to the real thing. I am a violin player myself and knows the differences between sensational hi fi sound effect and real music. Eventually, if bonuses are good this year, I should get one DV phono both for enjoyment and collection purposes.
  • Options
    The Eufro have put closer to the listening position so that they have more space to breath. The sofa on the right hand side was also removed. The soundstage has been expanded without mangifying the size of individual instrument. Very involving.
  • Options
    Looking from the back...
  • Options
    The cabinets at the back of th spk still cause minor problem by resonating with the isobaric drivers. So I keep the doors open when the Eufro sing. The linerity and conherence keep improving, which is better the Eufro(s) that I listened in PT's room. The high of the first pair was not as good as the FAL air motion. The upgraded version that I listened earlier this year improved substantially, the treble was 3 dimensional and full bodied. However, the "transparency" of mid was still a little bit articificial. I was told that the pair I ordered would be free of this minor shortcoming as the lowther units would be treated with special coating to minimise the undesirable vibration. Like this....
  • Options
    When PT told me the coating was made of something like 伊朗海底泥, I did not take it too serious and I thought it was just a gimmick.....
  • Options
    But for all AE fellows, PT and Jlam never make jokes on their products... again, this special coating is serious.... Having said that, need to salute to Tommy Horning, regarding his passion to drive for continuous improvement, as he commented about Eufro, the notion of hifi becomes superfluous. Apart from the specially coated lowther, and the ultrasimplifed crossover, the wiring cables have also been changed. WBT Next Gen Bing Posts are used.....
  • Options
    I puzzled why only one pair of Next Gen is used. What about the other for bi-wiring....Surprising, this is not recommended, according to Tommy Horning;s latest instruction. Hence, when PT and master were in Shanghai, all decided to follow designer's recommendation....
  • Options
    Though the encounter with the latest Eurfo is still pretty short, I strongly believe they need a lot of back space, the more the better. I will try to swap the position of the Eufro and the sofa. Any comment from Voy and other Eufro users?

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece, your Eufrodite is the most advanced version. My pair don't have the specially treated lowther driver. What feet underneath? Are they from finite elemente? What is your experience of these feet under them? I used feet from Harmonix.
  • Options
    Jeff

Yes, they are FE cerapuc. Pretty well balanced performer. They served Eufro better then the "Tofu" specially designed for FAL. The Tofu cut too much bass from them and reduced the "engulfing" effect of the soundstage. The FE improved the leading edge without loosing the body and weight.

Why you picked Harmonix? Most of their products have quite a strong/warm character.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Mr.Zanden is probably right about the lowther driver. Not a bad idea to use Harmonix to cover that region up. I know your latest version is free of this problem. I want yours! You must be is music heaven now. The preamp, get it sooner.
  • Options
    Bigpiece,

Thank you for your order of Wavac PR-X2 preamp with another FMR. I truly admire the burning passion of yours in taming the Horning Eufrodite, especially yours are the only pair that has the specially treated lowther driver.

Do you mind sharing more about your Eufro experience after another week of run in?

I look forward to the swap of Zanden phono to DV phono when the time is ripe.

JLam
  • Options
    JLam,

Like other music lovers and other AE fellows, my button to search for excellence has been pressed by the arrival of the specially treated Eufro. It cant be stopped.

I am lucky that I dont have the bass problem experienced by Mr.Zanden, probably because of the new units have not run-in and the lack of an active pre. The longer the run-in, the more I confirm the potential of the beast is locked by passive pre.

Dont be mislead by their high sensitivity, in my listening environment, the 805 babies are just about right. I hope the arrival of PRX-2 will help. My recollection of Horning amp or Shindo in PT's room could not drive them in WAVAC's special expressive manner. If I got the money, I will simply go for the 833.

The special coating on the lowther units is the key improvement. A must have upgrade for existing Eufro users. The reduction of the vibration minimised the nosing effect.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Shanghai dude, how's your Eufro doing? I've been waiting for your burn-in experience for 2 weeks. When is your linestage due?
  • Options
    Hi Voy,

Apart from the lack of an active preamp, (PRX 2 is target to arrive by end AUG), the key challenge for me to properly run in my system is the power supply. I don't have sufficient power point and power cords to connect both digital and analogue source in one go. Hum/noise is very noticeable all are connected. So, I have to plug/unplug the FR between the CD and Raven. I am looking for a power conditioner or re-generator to address the problem. Any recommendation/experience by AE fellows?

Back to the Eufro, I would say the run-in for Mid/Hi is so far so good. The coherence of mid-hi and the extension are hard to complain. The progress on bass is a little bit behind as my current music preference (mostly vocal, chamber, strings and piano) cant stretch the 8 isobaric driver to their limit. I just managed to have a bit more time last night. It just sprang to my mind that I need to fix the FE Cerapucs properly or at least get rid of the "chicken" stock feet because they look so ugly. I am lucky to find M6 adapters to fix the FEs to Eufro. With my wife's assistance, that was done in 15 min. The difference was shocking, in terms of the bass extension, and separation of details for the whole spectrum. My wife would definitely not believe that no component was changed if she was not "involved" in the little exercise. The issue of physical vibration should not be overlooked,

Suggestion to AE, bundle a set of decent feet for their speakers. Or even ask SRA to do a low profile Ohio XL Plus... for the Eufro...a little bit crazy... I think the users are more then happy to spend the little extra.....

Well, after listening to a few cut of Schubert for 2, John Coltrane and Johny Hartman, and other Cantonese pop, I am pretty sure the isobaric drivers have long way to go, I can feel the potential just like a rubber band, not even stretched half way ..... Voy, do you have any best practice to share that can help expediting the run-in of the isobaric drivers?

Besides, I have to review my previous assessment on the passive pre. More power is listened but, let me compare when PRX2 arrives.

Finally, speaker positioning and sound-stage, they easily disappeared without much finetuning. The problem is the ceiling which "sucks" some energy which then shift the focus of vocal upwards. I just called PT this morning, that I need to get a "Silver" to fix it. Moreover, I have ordered a pair of United 805 as recommended by my friend, a "tube" nerd. I hope to have them all arrived next week. Will share more......

Bigpiece