Skip to content
Options

My 'GlassHoper'

For those with glass doors and windows in their listening rooms, I think this small device really gives hope to them. This has been widely discussed recently in this forum and until yesterday, I could feel the power of it in my room full of glasses. Before that, I have got only one bead, if I put it in the left window close to my left speaker, I could immediately feel the clarity and transparency on the mid high to high. The same goes to the right hand side. I had 8 yesterday and witnessed by Mr. Zanden and Ralph of Cessaro, I put 5 of them on the glass windows and doors where I believe the vibration should be the most intense. The treble become less noisy with clearer definitions. This device would not help on reflection but it really tames the vibration which combines with reflection would kill a lot of harmonics on the treble. After they have gone, I tried to put one in another glass window at the back to feel the 'incremental difference'. Still the improvement is there and not insignificant even to my dumb ears.

A few days ago, I took my one and only one GlassHoper to another veteran audiophile and tried it on his 20ft X 9ft glass 'wall' on the left hand side of his living place. Again, it speaks for itself in taming the treble harshness and the owner of the house also agrees with me on the magic of this device does. I was told by PT that he ordered half a dozen of this which exactly matches with the number of glass panels that he has.

One trick that Mr. DV told me about the position of sticking this bead. If it is a glass door in the listening room, better stick it in the opposite side outside of the listening room rather than inside. The rationale behind is that the bead actually concentrate the vibration of the glass into the bead and for super sensitive ears like Mr.DV, he can hear where the bead is if it is sticked inside the room. Of course, it may be hazardous to your money pocket and the pedestrian if you stick this bead out of your glass windows.

Try one and the normal 'GlassHoper' symtom would be to pick up a phone whilst start counting the number of glass panels that you have.

Marvel

Comments

• Options
    It is a real delight to see they cure your glass ringing problem. Does harmony come back?
  • Options
    Yes, indeed. In conjunction with the blue pillar, paintings, cloud, I think the room is reasonably calm...
  • Options
    It is magical and highly effective. I apply just "one" huge glass window already covered by a curtain. It has become so much more quiet at the upper end.
  • Options
    In my personal experience, this is by far the giggest discoveries in audio!
  • Options
    Marvel,

I gave up to stick it at anywhere of the side window. But it was stunning to use it at the smaller window behine my seat. Treble of piano sound "Q" at any volume!!!
  • Options
    I'm eager to try a few, my newly renovated house has several hot spots that can either echo or vibrate to certain frequencies. I did examine a sample of the glasskiller, the material has a lower resonance point than glass, so its a good material to break the resonance of any given glass surface when it is stick to the 'right position', would like to know if there is any explanation notes, using guide etc. that can help users to find the right point.
  • Options
    Ptsang, apply them on any of the four corners. It is very effective even if the glass is very small.
  • Options
    No time no talk over here but this glass killer is just so amazing - it wakes up my long dormant soul. Like marvel bro, I was haunted by glasses for years until now.
  • Options
    DSo, more glass killer arrived. I reserved extra for you.
  • Options
    Here comes the Darth Vader: may the dark force be with me....

• Options
    呢粒野好神奇, 玻璃窗靜左好多, 唔明唔明, 但係解决好多問題
  • Options
    Caution! Change a new sticker if you switch to other position rapidly!!! Mine was broken last night.....
  • Options
    I have put 6 of those beads on the floor-to-ceiling windows on the side. The impact is quite impressive -- treble and upper mid-range become more pure and calm. They somehow help the bass as well probably because the high frequencies become less "clouded", so you get cleaner bass as well. Definitely worth recommending
  • Options
    幾時再有貨?
  • Options
    Marvel and I worked hard to bring studiogrey's system back to the standard it should belong last night. HIs acoustics is actually not bad, better than many many people. I treated the glasses. With and without it, the difference is huge as we tried removing them after 1.5 hour, the high frequency ringing was unbearable.

But his problem is NOT the glasses. The energy balance has a severe bias towards the upper high - that's the characteristics of the Kharma midi which I know very well. The gold-finger diamond cartridge accentuates this energy imbalance further.

Right at the beginning, we both felt not alright. We could not recognize the 833. Take away the carbon fiber spike plate and replaced with the original one. Better. Then, I treated the glass. Better. But the entire section of lower mid bass was missing both in terms of dynamic, weight and quantity. We could not recognize the 833.

Then, I walked around and checked everything. I recommended not to use OR as the main cord going into the Kyoto. We use another power cord brought along from Marvel. Ok, this time, the energy balance improved. But after 10 minutes, we were still not happy because this is not the 833 that I know so well. Then, the biggest difference occurred when I switched the connection of speaker cable from 4 ohm to 8 ohm at the back of the 833.

Then, we were more satisfied. It was about 10:00pm and Marvel recommended to reposition the speaker due to the fine tuning that we had done. He did an excellent job of re-positioning the speakers for Studiogrey. We were pleased.

I brought along a pair of FMR but I didn't want to use it because of the energy dislocation. FMR will not solve this problem as it is just a cable without addition/subtraction. But at least we tried to use in-between the preamp and the poweramp. The result is not as crazy as other users which I had already anticipated, given the imbalance.

But we felt the last 15 minutes are the standard that we require. Last night was great learning experience for everyone.

We apologize for our frankness but we really really want to help.