Skip to content
Options

New Year Tron Session with Mr.DV

This Syren was once owned by Marvel bro. I bought it. The circuitry is very simple and elegant, dual mono board construction like Wavac's PR-T1.

Comments

• Options
    The custom exotic transformers
  • Options
    It looks like the volume control is also transformer coupled.
  • Options
    After many tests, I decided to use Sylvania 5687 in the linestage and Amprex (Philips Miniwatt) in the phono section.
  • Options
    Midnight session - Syren + Telstar
  • Options
    The re-union of the Tron suite is sort of a wake up call to me. It makes me understand a few more things about "mix and match". When the Tidal is acting as the line-stage, I had to crank up the volume up to 12 o'clock and sometimes 1o'clock to achieve the SPL and dynamic response to my preferences, although both Marvel and Mr.DV were already quite contended with the overall quality.

The presence of syren changes everything, as I feel strongly the driving power and the dynamic response comes from the preamp, NOT from the Telstar. Syren has a character (seen from the context of mating it in other system and other brand of amplifier), no doubt about it as 發哥 told me the output gain of syren is very very high, his 天鵝 system cannot take it.. I remember Graham had once said he wanted the amplifier to work as little as possible. I know I understand what he means.

The birth of Tron electric is due to the scarcity of amplifiers/preamplifier to serve horn speakers with absolute silence despite high sensitivity. The unison of syren and telstar must drive Horn speakers with very high sensitivtity .

By now, I know understand why people still love horn despite all the challenges and shortcomings. The magic is there now. To verify my feelings, I SMS Mr.DV to come yesterday. He showed up within 30 minutes. He loves the Tron 211 but he had never listened to the syren together. Together with the Shilabe cartridge, Mr.DV endorses the supreme reproduction of piano. Dynamic of the New World Symphony is very shocking to both of us. DSo will soon find out tomorrow.

I also learn once more that Tidal really adds nothing and subtracts nothing because transformer coupled volume control adds coloration (those extra energy). It will be an experience to listen to a complete Tidal suite.

I got a feeling that not every amplifiers are made for the Horn speakers regardless of small power or large power. The designer must understand the characteristics of horn. When Yamada san of Zanden re-designed his 300B for the Alpha One based on his actual listening experience, we were so shocked that he seems to break new ground. The subsequent arrival of the Masterpiece Model Wilson 211 push pull mono block amplifiers had me in awe despite the 1st 30 minutes of listening in Mr.Zanden's home because the designer has almost two years of close encounter with Cessaro Horn to understand the speakers to create the seamless match.
  • Options
    Oh.... the Tron suite... they are great stuff.

DSo, you will understand what I meant by Asian coloration tomorrow.
  • Options
    The large scale energy and micro dynamic had been improved after switching back to run in full circuit, the dynamic is Outstanding!!! And the Shilabe has great potential, bass is so fast, looking forward how does it match with Thales.
  • Options
    DSo, did you taste the Tron today? Don't be too critical on her power. 12watt is nothing compare to your monstrous 833.
  • Options
    I went to listen Tron together with DSo...both of us were very impressed..though DSo commented that the 211 is not able to drive and control the ultimate bass from the Alpha. To me and PT, we were both very happy particularly on the chamber music with only a few instruments. I agree however with DSo that when it comes to orchestral music, the control is a bit loose and the reverbration within the cabinet of the Cessaro is affecting the structure and layering of the bass. It is the same for me and DSo's Affacinate because we have removed the damping foam from the cabinet. I reported this previously to PT and I think I might need to put some (but not all) foam back in order to test and minimise the reverbration of the 'rectangular' shape of the interior cabinet.

Shilabe is hooked on DV arm which frankly I like the DV cartridge more because all in all the most attractive and seductive part of PTs system is vocal and without the DV cartridge, part of the seduction was traded off with a faster speed and transient...good for instrumental music like Cello but definitely not comparable to DV cartridge in producing the kind of 'magnetism' on the vocal...Tron pairs does not exhibit the kind of 'agitation' and 'hurry' when only Syren was singing alone in my system. Graham really designs the whole amplification as a one-box roadmap so without its matching power amp, we cannot realise (but now I do) the magic of the combo in
    delivering a very unique and elegant sounding with an ultimate transparency on the tonality and microdynamics.

Voy, why do you sell the 211? I know you are getting something more matching with Algame but separating Syren from 211 seems like separating a heavenly matched couple...like my wife and myself...ha ha...

Marvel
  • Options
    No cartridge does everything perfect. If speed and rhythm is your priority, the Shilabe's interpretation is even better than the Lyra Titan. Even the latest Titan i sounds dryer than the Shilabe. In my opinion, the Shilabe should not work together with the DV phono system. It should work better with Zanden, Wavac and Tidal. The DV phono system is a complete suite tailored made musical solution. Anything less than the original plan, part of the magic is gone.

But if you were still impressed by the Tron system, the Shilabe contributes no small part. Does this make sense to you?

• Options
    Can you elaborate why you were impressed?
  • Options
    I am mostly impressed by the vividness of cello, violin and last but not least, piano which is my most favourite musical instrument for listening pleasure and serious audition....with eyes closed, I can see all the movements and feel like the physical presence of Maurice Gendron, David Oistrakh and Milstein...I totally agree with Raymond that the magic of DV is the synergy of a whole suite and completeness in terms of revealing the designer's own appreciation and interpretation of music.
  • Options
    Do you understand what I meant by "Asian colorations" now? I am not saying it is bad. All I am saying is not my favor. They are pleased to the ears to many and I have no problem with that.
  • Options
    One suite of Tron sounds marvelous!
  • Options
    The Tron suite is perfect for chamber music, but for orchestral pieces and operas my vote is still for Wavac PRT1/833 combo unless adding of an active subwoofer to the Alpha one.

Voy, I do agree most of the Asian tube amps have the Asian coloration, but not PRT1/833 and that's why I have been spending so much time in tackling the noise problem.