Skip to content
Options

New Year Tron Session with Mr.DV

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dso, you are spot on. We need a dedicated speakers to mate with the Tron amp. All of the Tron amplifiers run at very low power, 3 watt to 8watt. The 211 is the exceptional at 12 watt. The attacks are there, the weight are there, but the last kick must come from either a huge bass horn or an active sub.

The whole notion of Asian coloration is to stimulate discussion. I know what it is, just not my preference. It seems complete elimination of noises permits a fuller understanding of 833.

Marvel bro, how's your room acoustics homework going on? J seems to suggest your CD is much better than the LP side just like the old big bird days. Why is that?
  • Options
    Voy,

Since the last visit by Jlam, I have done the following changes:

1. Remove 2 silver resonators from the window.
    2. Move the blue pillar into the window basin
    3. Add one more absortion painting on the right side thus forming a more balanced absortion platform with the one painting already put on the left hand side.
    4. Ask the LP setup expert of AE to fine tune the setting of Bergmann including the tracking force, VTA, levelling...
    5. Set the input impedance of the Tidal phono to 10K to match with the spec of MC Winfield.
    6. Dismantled the big bird and put the Zanden 2000P on the SRA (temporarily before the arrival of Unison)
    7. Took away the plastic feet of the Vekian and replaced them with Reference Feet by Franck.

Result: Pending for Jlam/PT's assessment, I myself am quite satisfied.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro, it sounds like your sound quality jumps up a few notches. But my question is why you CD is better than your vinyl all the time? Why is this the case?
  • Options
    Voy,

With (4) & (5), I think Lp is indeed very outstanding...the CD source is easier to get a better sound and I believe Zanden2000P+Vekian is among the best CD combo that you can find from the market currently, all I can say now it they are coming very close. It is not fair to compare LP with a re-master CD on the same recording and likewise, there may not be a corresponding Lp for the modern digital recording on CD and even if there is, I don't like the new digital mastering Lp or re-issue.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

I tried hard to replicate your description of Shilabe's vocal performance by trying difference impedance value thru the Tidal Preos. If I lower the impedance to around 100, I got exactly what you described. If I elevate the impednace to 220, the vocal is just excellent with warmth, more body, more weight. Anything higher than 300, the mid-range start losing definition. The recommended loading should be between 200ohm to 300ohm.

I strongly believe PT set the loading of his DV phonostage wrongly to around 100ohm.

R
  • Options
    Raymond, thanks for this and I think this is great help to me....when the impedance is set between 200-300ohm, is there any trade off as a result of an improvement on the midrange?
  • Options
    What you had listened, I believe is a little bit loose on the bass which is not bad match to a 12watt SET mating with the Horn. The high frequency is elegant, fast, but at the expanse of mid-range harmonic. That makes the mid range dried up. I can't say that is a wrong setting. It is not the most "ideal" or the most "balance". The Tron, I believe, is fast, then you guys may mis-interpret that's the Tron mid-range.

If you were very happy with the Tron/Shilabe on instruments, piano, classical concertos on that occassion, isn't it good enough. Reset the impedance will gain more mid-range body, tighter bass (may not be good for speakers like the Alpha One) mating with SET amp.

The Shilabe on Bergman is heavenly match, set the impedance of your Preos to the 200 level, you are all set, should beat your CD easily
  • Options
    Raymond, you are absolutely right. I only have the 100 ohm jumper with the DV phono. There is no 200 ohm, the next level is 400 ohm.

• Options
    查兄, 聽聞你昨晚一次過夜探"達文西"和"蒼"系统, 究竟有什麼體會? 有冇聽埋部Vekian? 蒼的聲音令我難忘. 果D對付玻璃的東西是乜東東?
  • Options
    good morning to everybody
    my name is loredana livolsi and to write from Italy.
    thanks to the gentleness of Mr. Lam me to be able to write on the forum.
    me to be very interested to the new cartridge Miyajima shilabe.
    I would like to know your comments on the sonorous characteristics.
    me to have tonearm Dynavector DV-505 and cartridge Dynavector xv-1s and Lumiere Dst.
    graces and regards
  • Options
    loreliv, I love Italia as much as the Shilabe. This cartridge is fast, very fast in speed and transient. Bass resolution is the best that I have heard so far, other than Lyra Titan i. You will get all the bass resolution down to 20 hz if your room and equipment permit. Dynamic is excellent, not the hi fi type but really resembles to what you experience in concert hall. Cello, Violin, Viola, Clarinet and flute etc are extremely vivid with both speed and harmonious tonality at the same time.

The dynavector xv-1s is warmer than the Shilabe overall. The delivery of bass is totally different. The xv-1s's resolution in the lower mid bass is not up to the standard, and you won't notice its deficiency in orchestra or general concerto setting. But on piano, the xv-1s cannot deliver the micro resolution of the piano most of the time. But xv-1s is still a good cartridge.

Dynamic presentation of orchestra by the Shilabe is fairly similar to what you got in concert hall. Delineation of instrument from each other is clean and tidy. The only relative weakness is in the vocal area. You must got the impedance loading correct. If you are not using step up transformer, the correct loading should be around 200 ohm to 300 ohm depending on taste and other parameter adjustment. For step up transformer, the impedance loading only be max at 1.5X of the cartridge loading. In the case of Shilabe, that should be 20 ohm (16 ohm coil impedance x 1.5 is around 20).

If you are using Bergmann or any other air bearing design, the Shilabe is a heavenly match.

Raymond