Skip to content
Options

Long Awaited Gift, Cessaro, PRT-1, etc

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bigpiece Hing,

Your decision to go active bass to complete your Horn system makes me and Ralph very happy.

I can already visualize two external active bass towers with two 12" bass each side and two separate power amp at the back side, potentially sitting on SRA Ohio. Just a reminder that the amp to be used will be exactly the one driving the Beta system. The amplifier will house active crossover including volume control, phase 0-180° and
    crossover point adjustment. It is a classic amp (1200W transformer inside per channel) not those cheap D-Class stuff out there.

The sub goes down to 24Hz with ease and articulation. Cabinet side finish will be built to match the piano black like your current Affascinate SE.

Together with entire chain of FMR cables including the FMR spk cable hopefully due in April, you must get me and PT up to do all room acoustics to maximize the potential of this mega system. Don’t go half-hearted, fix all room problems at one go. I may invite DSo, Charles and Marvel bro to come along for a big party.

I am really interested to experience the completion of the low frequency of the Cessaro horn system.

With respect to the connection, I guess the most likely scenario will be two pairs of FMR going from the PR-T1 to the Wavac 805 and the active amplifier. The PR-T1 has two output. The RCA output goes to the 805 and the XLR output goes to the active amp. That means another pair of FMR XLR cannot be escaped. I will make sure Ralph's mono amplifier for the active bass will have both RCA and XLR input.

When you settle down, as you said change the 805 to EC300B to drive the mid and above, and the let the active system takes care of the middle.

Wow, that's really fun!
  • Options
    JLam, it's better to invite some people from the Tidal camp as we care the completion of the lower frequency very much. Personally, I love the Cessaro horn's high resolution and dynamic but the missing lower octave makes a feeling of incompleteness.
  • Options
    Bigpiece,

The completion of low frequency is very important. You cannot ignore the basslines. From a composer perspective, there are bass instruments in the original script. The missing of lower octaves means the original musical intention is twisted. From a hi fi audiophile perspective, you can argue the mid-range and tweeer are excellent and hence you can live with incompletion of bass frequencies. If you are a musical composer, I don't think this argument has any meaning at all.

Of course, room size is a limitation in HK. In small room, even a big speaker cannot perform at maximum potential. Since you are in Shanghai, the abundance of space allows a much proper setup.

I look forward to the completion of your horn system. If the active bass can go down to 24hz, you need a room length at least 30 feet for the bass wave to complete. That's why make the Algame sings in Charles' system. I never visit him before but the law of physics is universal.
  • Options
    becareful of the police this time. We don't wanna wait till Xmas to see the bass system.
  • Options
    I am very excited with AE and Cessaro with this solution and you all are welcome to this party.

Raymond, cant agree more though I am not an expert. With the arrival of the Affascinate SE, after fun in, I just feel that something is missing... The feeling just getting stronger with the installation of FMR ic though the overall improvement is substantial.

Voy, thanks for your advice and I learn the way to deal with it in the future.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece, the Vekian signature DAC will be shipped together with the whole active bass module weighs more than 300 pounds.
  • Options
    大舊哥, 今次你呢個食沙佬升級計劃好大陣容下, 全FMR接線的挑戰唔簡單, 你又要用兩條靚電源對mono功放餵對subwoofer, 嘩淨係線材都二三十個. 連Vekian都掃埋, 到時真係力拔山河, 我建議你用ORB京都電源線, 和京都骨係天作之合, 好平行, 中低音以下好開揚, 又夠力. 好抵用!

亞力兄的"態度"哲學又和食沙佬完全不同, 睇黎各有千秋. 房間問題有排搞!

• Options
    Brother Fat

I just take a "painful" shortcut but still a long way to go la.

Shanghai Bigpiece
  • Options
    The installation of Alpha One's external crossover INSIDE the Affascinate SE transforms DSo's system beyond verbal descriptions.
  • Options
    DSo,

Do you feel like listening to a pair of new born speakers after the crossover upgrade? Crossover deteremines the life and death of a speaker. I will go the route of active crossover when Tidal later introduces the LPX. Then, another pair of amp is needed. I guess Mr.DV's Virtu will be the craziest of all - active crossover - bi-amping - all field coil drivers - asymmetric open baffles.

You have probably reached the maximum potential. Do you wanna complete the lower frequency like Shanghai bigpiece or join the analog club?
  • Options
    Raymond,

I feel like listening to the source directly without any sense of the speaker. There is no low, mid and high, all you hear is just musical notes hanging in the air freely. I have not yet decided what to do next, but there will be another minor upgrade to my Affascinate SE in September. I will share more right after the upgrade.
  • Options
    I really need to visit you Danny.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A pictorial description of the Alpha One Plus Concept