Skip to content
Options

Long Awaited Gift, Cessaro, PRT-1, etc

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Voy and WChow

I am not a 833 guy get but its already on my target list. I am glad that the painful experience didnot put me off to bring in exotic gears in the future.

For the room acoustics, I trust the expert will further elevate my enjoyment but the current setup already revives my interest. I trust the curremt constrants are relatively easier to manage. Compare with some of those who are facing space constraints, I am very lucky.

• Options
    Bigpiece,

This really takes away all the boredom that we both had in the past few months waiting for these to come! Congratulations and I am really excited about your setup...I wish I could have such a space for me to play with....look for me if there is any postings in Shanghai!!

To me, the real deal on the Wavac 805Mk2 is not on the 805, it is on the MkII which gives me the 2 gigantic power supply and the extra db of lowering in terms of noise platform. I believe 833 and 833 whatever Mk would have the same level of difference in terms of noise platform. What it gives me in musical perspective is a more well tamed signal reproduction and if were to use 805, I believe my room will sing for itself! In your case, I am sure you will soon spend some effort on the rack, won't you? Look for Mk2, whatever 805, 833 you would like to have.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel Bro

You are too senior lah.

I need to get the best out of those gears first and then decide the priority according to cost effectiveness. Power Amp, Vekian, Rack, FMR ic ?? Bass Woofer for Cessaro..... Got to make a wish!

Merry Christmas
  • Options
    Hi Mr.Bigpiece, how do you rate Wavac LCR X2 against Zanden phono?
  • Options
    Mr. WChow,

The zanden phono I have is the original 1200 mark 1 with built in power supply. In terms of queitness, LCRx-2 is undoubtedly better.

The initial impression is just like seeing Ito san and Yamada san in front of you. I can feel the power and energy for LCRx-2 while the Zanden is more on the artistic side with elegance. Quite different presentation.

Given there are key component changes, and it is just the first week with less then 30 hours playback, I need more adjustment and finetuning, will share more later
  • Options
    Anyone interested to go visit DSo's system (full room acoustics treatment) this afternoon, please give me a call. Charles, Marvel and myself will be there. I will "drink tea" with DSo in Causeway Bay at 1:00pm.
  • Options
    Bigpiece,

This is the latest setup of DSo. The area in front of the listening position is very quiet. The reproduction of quartet, when the lights are off, seems like musicians playing in front of you. The only area that is still noisy (relatively speaking) is the kitchen area where DSo intends to use 1 or 2 more paintings to tackle that area. Re-positioning of Franck's resonators is required. We did it together with great fun. The speaker position is now 55 inches from the rear wall.

After the kitchen is tackled, the remaining issue could well be the rack....
  • Options
    We tried to remove the paintings from the side wall. Noises immediately returns.
  • Options
    there is a 'cloud' hiding from the picture. Dso will install two and so far he is the one who goes the farthest in room tuning applying both the conventional tools (ie blue tank, paintings, cloud) and unconventional ones (resonators, diffusors). The room is lively quiet without over absortion or reflection. A very balanced demo listening room!

Marvel
  • Options
    DSo, you certainly walked a long way to tame your room. What is the material of your current rack?
  • Options
    Ebony and understand crazy rack will be the ultimate solution.

After removal of most noises in my living room, the PRT1/833 combo sounds very delicate, transparent and fast and has no sense of Asian coloration. Together with the little Cesaro, everything seems alive and real especially on the vocal.
  • Options
    DSo, your system deserves a crazy rack. I can imagine the noises from the rack may become too loud all of a sudden after elimination of room noises. Put a period on noises and join the crazy club. You have walked this far to achieve the current stage, aren't you?
  • Options
    Raymond,

Not as bad as you think, but of course no noise is always better than some noises.
  • Options
    Mr.Bigpiece,

With more burn in time, can you share your Zanden versus Wavac phono experience? I'd like to hear did you do any adjustment on VTA, tracking force etc in order to the comparison.

WChow
  • Options
    WChow
    At the beginning, I just plugged the dv arm/cartridge output to LCRX2, without any adjustment. Given the substantial improvement on the digital source, I did expect similar improvement on the LP playback. Of course you know the answer is not that straight forward. I found it sounded pretty dull and seems took too long to run-in (more then 2 hours every time). I then changed the tracking force from 2.1 to 2.0. With material improvement in dynamics. But still could not get the improvement I expected. I then replaced the stock 6922s with AEG that I used in Zanden. And it started to show its potential.

However, the real breakthrough is when I made use of the gain of PRT1. Given the relatively low output of DV cart, I turned the gain to max. The listening of Sheherzarade was a new experience to me though I am not a big fan of symphonic suite. Mozart Violin and Piano sonatas by Goldberg and Lupu were stunning.

The strength of LCRX-2 with the PRT-1 and Cessaro that impressed me most was its extremely low noise level, it dynamics and extreme extension.

Cheers
    Bigpiece