Skip to content
Options

Danny's Horny day

Comments

• Options
    Yes...indeed...I will be going to listen to the SE version + 805.

Calling Studiogrey here as I have not got your return call....sorry to leverage this forum but I suspect Grey is watching more on this forum than on the message left on his phone...

Marvel
  • Options
    Report us the party.
  • Options
    Cessaro like a virus and I had been affection!
    I souldn't be Dso home today.
    I'm warning bro at AE forum, don't go there!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Marvel,

What are the differences between the SE and the non-SE? I really want to know more from your perspective.

Hung (Taipei)
  • Options
    I went to listen to the SE version yesterday. When we first replay the CD Scheburt for Two by Gil Shaham Track 11 Arpeggione (my recent favourite), I could immediately tell the difference between 805+SE and 300B+non-SE. The reason why I linked up the power amp in this comparison is because I do feel we are not comparing apple to apple if we just compare the speaker in isolation. Of course, argument sake, we should compare system to system but I reckon that the character between 805 and 300B has already a lot to tell. DSo's combination has undoubtedly much more ambience and transparency especially on the two ends. Treble is more open and calm with more air and finesse. Being a 'sudden' vinyl fans, I cannot believe the Zanden CD combo can be so close to analogue in DSo's system in the dynamics, tonality and expressiveness. This is the 2nd time I listened to Dso's system with 805. The previous time with Avalon has already ascertained its impressive power in driving and controlling the US speaker. This time is even more deligtedly surprising that it can be so dynamic and well in control even at very high volume. Soundstage is so calm and steady at any volume with the same homogenous and in-phase propagation across all frequencies.

2 hours slipped easily with some pleasant chats with So in-between when Charles and Studiogrey arrived. I thought I was lucky to have occupied the 'king seat' before having to surrender it to Charles/Grey but when I stood aside, the kind of engulfing feel by the music floating around was still vividly there. Soundstage was still steadily over there as though I was sitting on the sidestage of the concert hall. I believe it is the magic of the horn speaker: inherent and homogeneous!!

Like Grey, I am poisoned, but not exactly by the SE speaker, I am poisoned by the 805 as without which I cannot decide how big the difference is between SE and non-SE. Ralph also advised me not to hurry with the SE upgrade, make sure my room acoustics and power amp (and possibly the preamp) have been set right and then determine if I should go with the SE.

One of interesting thing that Dso has tried is his in-house designed and made solid aluminium amp stand adopting floating magnetism and bearing technology. It is a CNC cut piece of solid aluminium which I helped him (patically) to move to the rack. Do you think guys in this forum are crazy? Drilling holes in the false ceiling, self design and made CNC solid aluminium stand rivalling stands worth more than 20K??? I am really thrilled to be with these guys all the time!! Grey, watch out, keep stay away!!! By the way, I am sure you understand better on your current bottleneck after been to Dso's place yesterday...you've made subsonic decisions in the past...hm....hm....

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel Bro, Charles and I planning move my 833 to Dso home. What is the limited of the Cessaro???
  • Options
    You guys are really crazy. There is no limited on the Cessaro. The only limit is the room acoustics. The 833 should drive the Cessaro with more substance, fine details, and unprecedented control on all frequencies. The 12inch bass will rock Danny's mansion.
  • Options
    Marvel, thank you for a detail report. It sounds like I should get the SE version. The differences of 300B and 805 are always there regardless of what speakers we pick, don't you agree? Most 300b amp, with the exception of the Da Vinci full system, has limits on frequency extension, less control, less bass weight and impact. The 805 has much more power in nature, couples it to high efficiency horn, your descriptions of expressiveness are inevitable. The subtle details, refinement, and progression of musical steps, in my great listening experience with Jeff together, we both feel the 805 mark 2 has tremendous purity of tone and an unspoken sense of calmness when dynamics is in demand. There are more shadings behind each notes, more silence in betwen the lyrics and the outburst of dynamic is phenomenal. The AC conditoner attached to each channel of 805mk2 is really amazing. The oridnary 805, in contrast, has a wild and straight forward character that does the job right but lacks maturity.

That's a crazy party of transporting the 833 to drive the SE horn. In our experience, the 833 has more colors than 805/805mk2. If the acoustics are bright, the 833 will sound pleasing. The control on the bottom end should be crazy. The large reservoir of power from the 833 will make the disappearing act of the speakers even more apparent.
  • Options
    Hung,

Your description is exactly matching with my experience in DSo's system and after the audition on last Sat, my desire to get the 805Mk2 has been burning much fiercely than before. Have you or Jeff or both ordered the AC Conditioner for the other components?

Marvel
  • Options
    I'm sure Marvel bro what's up to. He's ahead of the curve standing on the edges all the time. Ampzila is no big deal. He got great fundamentals amongst us all: craze, ohio boards, all the EE wires. The amp is matter of money but his acoustics may need some serious hardworks to tame the hardtone, else the sonic heaven is still pretty far away, even with all the hi end angels around him.

Danny, what's your current cable config now? Remember ask PT to do a diagnostic for your room again. He's very pricky on room noises.
  • Options
    Hello AE fellows,

My first participation in this high quality and crazy hi end audio group. I dare not to say too much in front of high hands here. But I think I can share is the Wavac AC-1.

I have used all the ac conditoner in the world before: sound application, CSE, richard gray power and everything from the US about ac conditionings, you name it, I had all of them before but nothing really comes close to the Wavac AC-1. It simply does not sound like anything. It does not limit dynamic, on the contrary, it enhances dynamic big time. The power and dynamic comes from with silent background. One feature I like it is I can lift the ground. The build quality is superb. I have seen nothing like it. It is expensive but the benefit to my whole system is more than 5 times better. All other ac conditioner in front of Wavac is like doing electric engineering in freshman year but the wavac ac-1 is a distinguished professor of enigneering from MIT.
  • Options
    Marvel/Studiogrey/Charles,
    Ah Hung claimed he already hooked up the second SMR SE for 6 days before sending it to me, but I still believed it has not yet been fully run-in. I put on a burn-in CD right after the party, and let it played for more than 10 hours. When I replayed the music we tested on Saturday, I was shocked again by the further improvement to the speed, dynamics and fullness of the sound. It seems this speaker has no boundary, the only limit is only from our system. Once connected to your system, this babe will trigger off a crisis of nonstop upgrading of our system. My conclusion? SR speaker cable will be replaced by SMR SE next month and LP will enter into my hi-fi world sooner than I expected.

Sorry to get people Affascinated, but I trust the Cessaro virus will spread out in the AE community very quick. For any AE fellow, if you are not ready for upgrading your speaker, please keep away from listening to this crazy monster.

Voy,

Below is my cable config :-

Digital : SMR SE AES
    Interconnect : SMR SE RCA
    Speaker Cable : SR
    Power Cord : CD Source-Flow
    Others-OR

I do believe my room acoustics still have room for improvement and will ask Chris to come again after the arrival of the SMR SE speaker cable.

• Options
    Dso,

Which LP coming?

c.c.n
  • Options
    Danny, you can't go wrong with the Raven AC. It is by far the best turntable I have ever come across regardless of price. There are many mega bucks turntable around the corner but they build to impress the eyes rather than the ears. With Da Vinci Grandezza arm and the cartridge on top, you can spin some fine old vinyl till ear-gasm. Michael Fremer of Stereophile, Jonathan Valin of Absolute Sound, and Ralph of Cessaro all endorse this masterpiece of work. The only problem is the damn painful waiting time. The Da Vinci aas gabriel should be another cutting edge music making machine but the price of the Raven AC, considering its outstanding build/sound quality and the flamboyant fame winning accolates across continents, it's hard to find substitute.
  • Options
    Voy, it took forever for mine to arrive. But the Raven AC does worth every penny. My poor soul can't be more than satisfied now than ever the days of Linn Sondek during my youth in the UK.