Skip to content
Options

Wavac's latest preamp: PR-X2

Bigpiece from Shanghai came to open the big box tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Separate power supply, front panel made of Wood, solid metal feet are just some features of the PR-X2.
  • Options
    Let's wait for Bigpiece' listening report: The integration of PR-X2 with MD805 to drive the Horning Eufrodite
  • Options
    PR-X2 in Action
  • Options
    Separate Power Supply feeded by FMR
  • Options
    Hand carried the X2 back on late Sunday evening, just before the typhoon hit Shanghai. I hooked it up in 15 min but still struggled a bit due to the constraints on length and stiffness of the power cords and interconnects. I was expecting substantial improvement in mid range, mid and low bass but degradation on the "transparency" compare with my Music First Silver Passive Pre.

After warm up by repeating track 7 of Ho Fan Tin. My expectation on improvement was unconditionally confirmed. Surprisingly, the degradation on transparency appeared to be lower then expected.

The addition of the X2 adds more variables, the power cord, the volume/gain combination. I tried a few combinations and found material difference. Got to spend more time to final the optimal for my ears.

The brief audition confimred PT's comment when Eufro first arrived in JUN, I need an active pre. Or I should say, Eufro need active pre to unveil its true color. To be continued.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece, it is unthinkable to drive the Eufro w/o a linestage. It looks like you have excellent space for the Eufro to breathe. The floor is potentially a big problem. There are clear fractures here and there. Do you plan to get any SRAs for the components?
  • Options
    Voy, good observation. SRA is on the shopping list. But not on the top.

PRX2 brings my system closer to a point of balance. With X2's amplification, Eufro's ultra transparency, every little change can be reveled easily. As I only have 3 FMRs and 1 FR at the moment, I am trying to find the best combination. Other PCs in the chain appear to be "blur". Its very likely that I need another 1 or FRs for the pre and CD source.

Back to the X2, it is doing very well in the Eufro 805 combination. The usual WAVAC expressive and resourceful character perfectly match the appetitie of Eufro. With the luck of having a spacious listening environment, the bass from Eufro appears to be unlimited, not just about quantity, but I mean quality bass with details and layer.

I am trying to compare its performance with the preamps that I used in the last few years, like PLL, Vitus SL100 and the Music First. I dont have a clear conclusion yet as other components changed dramatically. But I would say X2 is a good buy at this price range.

Cheers
    Bigpiece
  • Options
    The lowther driver dislikes raw power without control. The lowther shows his temper when gain is too high. The tricky part are those damn isobraric bass drivers are hungry for power. The quality of the amplificiation chain must be damn good.

The choice of power amplifier for the Eufro is not as easy as it seems. Too much damping factor like Marvel bro's german tank will kill all the bass. The Wavac 805 seems to be the right partner. The strong Asian flavor is not exactly by appetitie. I prefer the Tron way of things to Kondo and Wavac. I would guest the Wavac 805 has tremendous driving power with right level of damping factor. The Asian flavor compliments the clarity of the lowther. That's your way to go, dude.

Flow for source components are standard protocol. It's easy decision. Use the FMRs on your wavac 805, linestage, and all Flow on source components.

By the way, why not go for the PR-T1? Are you the "process enjoyment" type of dude?
  • Options
    shanghai dude, any interesting progress to report? Pls share.
  • Options
    上海大兄,你是否將會用終極Horning - "亞格米"那位大哥?
  • Options
    Like other tube linestage, the X2 is better to be powered on in standby mode even not in operation. A few more days run-in make my system singing better and better. I have been thinking what exactly the X2 brings me. Technically speaking, with power amps like MD805, with input gain control, and the relatively high output of digital source today, there's no need to have a lne stage. This belief was first confirmed by my old FAL MD 300B combination. The Vitus SL100 added no value in that setup and I thought high efficiency speaker system with SE amp might not need a pre-amp. However, the use of MF changed the situation, the magnetic passive pre did express music better with the FAL. The arrival of Eufro changed the whole system balance again, like what Voy said, the Eufro is pretty picky, not an ordinary high efficiency speakers, with the isobaric drivers. The replacement of MF by X2 brought me more benefits than drawback. I enjoy the enhanced involvement and emotions. The minor degradation in terms of transparency is not a problem at the moment. Not getting the T1 is a matter of budget. Its more to be a temporary relief to see how an active linestage can help in the 805 Eufro combo. Another even better linestage is on the 08 shopping list.

Fat Gor, yes, Algame is on my upgrade list too.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece, see you tomorrow. It will be great fun to treat a large area like yours. I will bring some phase corrector, and you won't believe why it does so well.
  • Options
    Another interesting and inspiring night with PT's onsite support in Shanghai. He brought me a whole bag of 毒物,包括FR毒蛇,法国凤梨酥,棋子餅.....想吾死都难!

PT's room treatment, 例不虚发
    FR for sources, FMR for 805s, 无得走鸡, Charles, suggest you get 2FMR with your Cyro, RCAs.
    PR-X2 在 Eufro 照妖镜下露真功夫!

重有玩80's粤语流行曲LP回忆,a lot of fun!

Bigpiece

• Options
    The Grand View of Bigpiece's System in Shanghai
  • Options
    Another Ocean of Flow: 3 FMRs in total, plus 5 FRs.