Skip to content
Options

Introducing the HAD dac

Inside this piece of industrial art houses a state-of-the-art DAC based on 16bit technology amidst an ocean of competitions from upsampling technoogy including our very house brand - the Orpheus.

Comments

• Options
    The algorithm of HAD is based on the last generation of the 24 bit/192kHz Sampling, Advanced Segment converter, produced by Texas Instruments. The converter is uniquely connected into the audio logarithm as a result of long-lasting researches of the STYLOS SYS development team in the field of digital technology and its deficiencies.

Although these converters are 24-bit converters, they have proved themselves in the given algorithm with the best sound results, when working with a 16 bit resolution and the system clock set to 384 Fs. The algorithm uses also a digital filter with 8x oversampling because the popular "zero oversampling" has proved itself entirely inappropriate as far as the sound is concerned.

Had does not use any processor or operational amplifier in its electronics since both of them turned out to be inappropriate for audio purpose.
  • Options
    I/V converter and the output stage with the 1. order filter, both extra developed for the HAD's algorithm, are the result of the proficiency of the STYLOS SYS development team. The output stage is set to the A class and "single ended" structure, without any return connection, neither negative nor positive. In the output stage and the I/V converter the IRF MOS-FET transistors are used, proving to be more appropriate because of their neutral sound, compared to the electron tubes whose specific character is mostly impossible to get rid of, however, the topology can be the same in both cases. The output stage has no trouble with impedance matching because it can work until the short circuit and that gives it the output impedance of 0 virtual Ohms. The output stage is balanced. Balanced outlets enable the maximum dynamics of the component. Balanced (XLR) signal is twice as strong as the signal of the SE (RCA) outlets
  • Options
    The charging of HAD is carried out in a dual mono configuration for the I/V converter and the analog output stage, as well as separated charging for digital and analog parts of the conversion algorithm. All the electronics' components are electronic industrial elements of high quality and low tolerance, assuring a durable functioning of the component.
  • Options
    The main aim of the STYLOS SYS team is to produce top-notch audio components that have a timeless design, offer a high-quality sound, the production and materials are at the highest level. The STYLOS SYS audio components are top-notch small-scale manufactured products.

All the algorithms or electronic schemes in Stylos sys products are the result of our proficiency and long-lasting researches into the need of a human intellect for analogy.
  • Options
    The development team, operating under the name STYLOS SYS (in ancient Greek stylos stands for a column), consists of three main actors:

Jurij Pfeifer, the industrial design of audio products and graphic design of the trademark

Janez Poženel, the leading audio designer, in charge of acoustic researches and the composition of electronic algorithms

Igor Jež, audio designer, in charge of production, technical
  • Options
    What is it? Any one heard it? If it is under AE, it must be good stuff. But the trouble for me is dac by Zanden and Orpheus are already the best out there. What's the story behind?
  • Options
    我今天聽了一會,真是一件好DAC,另類dac, 對我說都是貴東西,好似piano tuner 所說看你想要什麼,這部DAC還在run In,PT說它要50hours run in,等PT賽後報告^^
  • Options
    It is very interesting. It seems there are no more solid state dac with 16 bit technology nowadays. If anyone know if there is any, please remind me. I remember the choice struggle between Zanden dac and Orpheus 1SE dac. The Zanden sounds more natural to my ear but lack the dynamic and resolution of the Orpheus. The orpheus produces the most natural sound amongst all upsampling dacs I checked out before making decision. I can understand why 16 bit is still favored by some. It sounds more pure, better flow.

This HAD is interesting, as I see it in three aspect. They use proprietary decoding algorihm inside a 16bit chip develop in house. I believe the Zanden 16bit chip by Philips in the 80s, Mr.Yamada chose it by listening. It is a good chip but the decoding algorithm inside comes off the shelf with Philips. On the contrary, this HAD write their own.

The 2nd interesting point is true balance output. PT told me probably the only true balance out dac out there is boulder 2020 advance, Orpheus Heritage.

The 3rd obsevation is the absence of operation amplifier and digital signal processor. The boulder and the orpheus have tons of them inside, I believe to to the calculation jobs. Not sure about Zanden, probably no digial signal processor because of 16 bit, but maybe a few op amps. Any body know?

This HAD is interesting. This design seems put the utmost importance on signal/timing integrity as indicated by the 16bit and true balance approach. I guess the sound is very fast and dynamic.

Enough BS from me over here in China. Await PT report.
  • Options
    But兄,點解你話它是另類?AE進口的產品,一定是有其獨特的地方,究竟是咩料?飛臘兄的分析我不太明白,但這個年頭出16bit解碼可說是反潮流。

O1SE雖要三天每日十小時煲才能真正出山,記得用Flow在它身上。
  • Options
    It is an interesting dac. Anyone heard it? Marvel bro, have you taken a shot at this one?
  • Options
    I do not recommend AE fellows to visit me unless you are prepared to be confused by the various school of thoughts on D/A conversion technologies.
  • Options
    PT, don't play tricks. Please cut directly to the story. Come on! Anyone took the first shot?!? Marvel bro, what's up with this piece of stone?
  • Options
    I listened to HAD DAC tonight side by side with Orpheus flagship Heritage DAC. We picked female vocal, Belafonte, Dvorak SymNo.9 and a piano concerto.

The HAD DAC is raw, fresh and extremely dynamical. Resolution to details is top notch and could even go up to the ladder if we have used a more powerful digital cable. If you are looking for what a CD playback should sound like? HAD is really the truest representation.that I have ever heard. I told PT if the recording is good, it sounds good, if the recording is bad, it sounds bad. Absolutely on trace of coloration in all fronts. With it side by side, Heritage is 'thicker' in the midrange. The balance between macro dynamics and musicla softness is very pleased to the ears while HAD is delivering the maximum dynamics without any degradation on details.

If a DAC can make a CD sounds like LP, I think Heritage is certainly one of those. HAD is not in this camp of making a CD sounds like a LP. It makes the recording in the cd format coming out from the pair of analog interconnect in the most accurate and uncompromised format. It is in a different camp from many other DACs including Zanden (also 16 bit but tube) and O1SE...

A very good listening experience!!

Marvel
  • Options
    Are you saying 16bit tops up more resolution than 24bit?
  • Options
    Marvel is right. I sold my Boulder 2020 dac advance in exchange for the HAD with a big smile. I even had some more money back for a nice digital cable. Other than the warmer mid-range from the Boulder, the HAD "heads" it up on everything, "dynamic" in particular. This dac is not for everyone.