Skip to content
Options

Could this be the craziest 300B stereo amp ever built?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MatthewC,

I finally choose First Music 300B SE instead of KR300B in the EC300B. They yield me the most balance musical presentation. The WE300B has pristine clarity at the top end but the lower mid bass lacks muscle and attack. The stock Golden Dragon has better attack than the WE300B. The most crucial tubes in my opinion is the GE6L6GC. With the GE, the GD300B is listenable.

You are right. The WE300B produces only 8watt of power and Wavac's ITIC circuit can generates 10watt measures at speaker teminal, I need higher power 300B tube for this application.

• Options
    Matthew,

Come over next week and have a listen. The amp has enough run-in with tne new GE6L6 and the First Music 300BSE. Allow one week for the settling of the wavac on top of the Ohio. Last night, I already felt the amp beginning to disppear.

• Options
    Ito san was doing a little upgrade on the EC300B
  • Options
    Isn't it qute a scene? The circuity topology is very neat. Ito said of all the Wavac lineup, there are only two models that must be made by himself (because only he knows how to do it right). First and foremost, it has to be the 833 series of amp, and the 2nd is the EC300B.

After knowing him as a big fan of opera, we played a few opera recordings. You can see him tap his foot and even singing (humming to be exact) during chorous of Mozart's composition (Figaro). He is quite tall in person. He dosen't talk much, quite a silent man. Right after he finished listening to the 1st track, he told me the horn speaker is a masterpiece. He doesn't know the brand, the history or any specifications. He just said play a few more tracks and confirms this is a speaker that does music correct.

We later on went on to dicuss the amplifier matching with this speaker. His comments are same as Yamada san of Zanden, for best tonality, stick with the 300B route although he agrees 10 watt just barely control the 16inch bass. He recommends me to use HE805 if I want to have more power to grip the bass driver. In the end, he said there is no much need to have more power given my small physical space.

Still, for the rest of 2007, I will be trying a few amps, Zanden 300B push-pull, Tron 211 etc, and if possible the special-custom made model of double push pull 211 for Mr.Zanden by Yamada.