Skip to content
Options

Studiogrey's new Wavac PR-T1/Marvel's new Wavac LCR-X2 phono

2»

Comments

• Options
    Still early days on Wavac phono.. Just 2 nights but already dissipating a very different presentation compared to Syren phono although both of them are tubes. Syren is more on speed, leading edge transient without compromising on the ambience and texture. Wavac is more on a perfect tonal balance with a very timid and natural balance of the timbre and 3-dimensionality.

I am using SMR EE power cord on the Wavac.

Will share more in a few days' time.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, did you alter VTA, tracking force to accommodate the wavac phono? What you describe between the Syren and the Wavac seems no difference to me. Do you mean wavac has lower speed than Syren? I listened to a complete Tron system with Raven 3-motor in Heathrow show in the UK. I was there for 2 hour. The music from this system captivated me so much. I felt your description of wavac fits my experience with Tron in the UK. I guess the big amps of yours are titling the balance in significant way.
  • Options
    Ken, you may be right. That is not my expereince too.
  • Options
    Marvel bro,

What a crazy guy you are! Can you elaborate more on your new Wavac phono? How does it compare to Zanden 1200 phono?

Also, I share with other's view the Tron is not an ideal match to your heavy duty poweramp. I have the Robb report in my hand. My art customers in the US who visited the HE show in May compliments so much about the Tron system. Audio equipment is not easy to endorse by Robb report. You got great gears all over the crazy rack. You seem to have more front end equipment. What you need is another pair of amplifier. You may not listen to the full potential of the Tron. Just my 2 cent.
  • Options
    Marvel, how's your wavac phono doing?
  • Options
    Puyi,

Missed replying on your previous note. Yes, I think eventually I might go for a Tron power amp pairing with Syren. With the AudioValve (see another thread in this forum) reference preamp: MasterPiece just one doorstep away, I really cannot resist the temptation of putting this powerful machine gun on top of my German tank. I am strongly confident that such AV combo would push my current speaker to the limit. This will turn my upgrade path to the arena of speaker...I have tried shortly the Eufrodite but its matching with the German tank was not as effortless and seamless as I would have thought. Not sure how the MasterPiece would tilt the equation.

Back to the Wavac phono...still in the burning state but showing colors every night when I listen to it. Talking about colors, it is tonally very rich but not to the extent of over colorated. It does have a signature sound of having a very mellow and passionate depiction of music in a slightly warmer atmosphere. It matches with the Syren (as a preamp) very well because Syren has a very good handle on speed and transient making this phono-preamp pair a very strong couple in delivering fast but continuous musical flow with details of the ripples and trailing ends. If I were to replace the Wavac phono now by using the built in phono within the Syren, I can 'imagine' that the feeling would be like taking away a component totally from the system as the characteristics of the Syren phono is exactly the same as its preamp portion. To learn more realistically the difference between these two top notch phono, I think I need to have another 'arm+head' to run in parallel....lots of $$$....

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, what is your understanding of the LCR circuit in your Wavac phono? Nobu san is the inventor of LCR circuit. Da Vinci also employs this circuit in their grandezza level products. I presume you are one of the fews heard the full DV cartridge./arm/phono (mono blocks???) set up. Are there similarities between Wavac and Da Vinci?

Do you feel music from the wavac is more relax than the Zanden and Tron? I suspect you are not hearing the full potential of the DV arm on the big raven. I tried mounting many cartridges on the DV arm tryng to get the so called best of both worlds in the greedy mind of audiophiles. I get this and that, bits and peices everywhere. Some music very good with this combo and some other not so good. Once I use the grandezza cartridge, I feel it is truly unique experience. I can even let go the goldfinger without too much regret, although I agree it is amongst the very best out there.

I am thinking of your wavac phono or da vinci phono. Please share more. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

• Options
    Hi, Philip,

As far as I know (from PT), both Wavac and DaVinci phono adopt the LCR circuit which is passive and does not rely on AC to perform the magnification of the phono signal. The gist is the integration of such passive circuit with the rest of the other circuit driven by current. I have no idea on how these 2 brands implement this LCR circuit in their phono but there is a commonality between the 2 when I listen to mine comparing with the DV phono is AE's showroom. They both exhibit a very calm and darkness very much resembling a 'passive preamp' but with the ample power driving behind. Realism is coming out from the recording playback steadily and seemingly without any contamination by the electricity current. Both phono are producing very natural tonal colors without edges and over emphasis on resolution and the kind of impactful dynamics, but they are NOT without dynamics and punches. ON a comparitive basis, the macrodynamics is less expressive than the microdynamics in AE's system while Wavac is more balanced in that sense. Such observation perhaps does not give justice to DV because DV is a brand with a strong orientation of 'total solution'. When I listened to the DV amplication pairing with their Intonation speaker, the integration is perfect with endless but linear energy dissipation across the entire frequency spectrum. I didn't have a slight feeling on lacking in dynamics in any frequency range and quite the contrary. I can imagine a full suite of DV vinyl+amplication+speaker would form a tightly coupled chain leverage the strength and supplementing the weakness of each component.

Undoubtedly both phonos are 'collectable' items but from a system matching perspective, I would say Wavac is more commercially viable while DV is a path of no-return.

My next move would likely get a DV cartridge pairing with the DV arm and get another tonearm with the Dyna XV-1S as now I have got 2 phono: Wavac and Syren. I can do more comparisons among all these combinations. Any recommendation on the tonearm? Phantom, Shroder? I really have no idea....

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, thanks for your input. I am studying the LCR circuit more. The DV cartridge is a must own item, the trouble is long waiting time. When will yours arrive? Without the DV cartridge, I always feel the presence of the DV arm. The disappearing act is not there.
  • Options
    After you, Philip,

I have not placed order since I have just settled with Wavac (both financially and sonically), Baldur MasterPiece preamp is coming up, upgrade by Yamada san on Zanden CD combo over the next weekend...My next move above should perhaps be annotated as My Next year's move....woo woo woo....

• Options
    Why after me? I am using grandezza cartridge now. I have both the goldfinger and the grandezza. I must say I am not too familiar with your Baldur gears.

What upgrade? Aren't you guys got all the superclocks in the world?