Skip to content
Options

Proliferation of Ownership Worldwide: Wadax Atlantis Reference DAC/Server

1235»

Comments

• Options

Ready to set up Reference Server with Reference DAC with the Akasu Optical Module/Cable 
  • Options
    i have followed the Wadax activity on the Audio Exotics forum for years, and greatly appreciate your support of this brand and the new Ref pieces especially. very exciting stuff. now my turn.

i have a Wadax Reference dac and Reference server in transit to me, and arriving at my home on Jan 5th, to be directly compared with my (now sold) MSB Select II dac + Taiko Extreme server and my analog.

feedback and pictures to follow.

i did hear a demo a few weeks ago of the Wadax Ref dac and Ref server, was mightily impressed, and expect to purchase each product.
  • Options
    Mike, it is the best of the best. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Hi Mike, 

Are you The Mike Lavigne from WBF?  B). Welcome to AE forum. 

Wow you just have to have the best of the best don’t you? Congrats on the Wadax. Let us know what you hear and a comparo between Wadax and MSB+Taiko would be greatly appreciated. 

• Options
    edited January 2022
    yes, i am that Mike Lavigne guy. :)

i did receive the Wadax Ref dac and Ref server in early January. i compared them directly to the MSB Select 2 plus the Taiko Extreme server, and i and other listeners clearly preferred the Wadax combo. a week later i compared the Wadax Ref dac with both the Wadax Ref server, and the Taiko Extreme server, and again, i preferred the Wadax Ref dac with the Wadax Ref server to the Wadax Ref dac and the Taiko Extreme server.

i have finally got my 18tb-19tb's of files loaded onto the Wadax Ref server. this is a significant step up over the streaming performance i had been hearing. better than playing discs? which i know is dominant among AE customers? maybe so, but i don't have a top level disc spinner to directly compare.

in the next day or so i will compare the Wadax Ref dac into the Wadax Ref server with both the Akasa optical and a USB cable. how significant might the Akasa interface be to the performance differences i am hearing?

overall i am in awe of the leap in digital music playback performance i'm hearing from the Wadax Ref dac and server. when i'm listening to better recordings, i'm not aware it's not my vinyl. it tics all the boxes and communicates the completeness of the music. my better vinyl pressings are better when directly compared, but the Wadax lacks for nothing.

the Wadax units are tall and challenging to place in my racks; so it's a bit chaotic at the moment with my 3 turntables and all the gear. once i have things moved around i will post some pictures.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Mike

Welcome to the Wadax club. The Atlantis reference dac and server will benefit tremendously from
    grounding them to Tripoint Signature NG or Tripoint Elite NG.  You should try at a later stage. 

When Roy Gregory came to HK to launch the Wadax Atlantis Reference DAC in April 2019, we were astonished to the max. Then in November 2020, I did a demo of the server in an innovative way.  I pretended playing vinyl in front of my core customers for an hour, but in fact it was my partner who hit the play icon on Roon the moment I dropped the needle on the vinyl. Of course we rehearsed many times.  I even asked my customer to bring their vinyl to play at Divin Lab (my flagship showroom).  Since I knew beforehand what was the vinyl, I searched from Quboz for the same album.  

For one hour of such drama, no one ever noticed I was in fact playing streaming. 
    I always design innovative demo to remove bias and stereotyping as much as possible. This was one of my landmark demo. 

Chris Leung 

• Options
    hi Chris,

thank you. i have been very impressed by the Wadax, and share your view regarding it's resemblance to vinyl performance. visitors hearing my Wadax agree. i can fully believe your story. 

fyi; i have used the Tripoint Troy Signature and Elite in my system for many years, but so far not used the 'NG' level Tripoint....in spite of much encouragement from Miguel to step up to it. maybe sometime.

cheers,

Mike Lavigne