Skip to content
Options

Wall Receptacles

Earlier I have post somewhere in this forum that I would try several wall receptacles and report my findings. I finally have installed the following dual sockets from wall into my components for a ABCABC... comparison.

For information, I use these receptacles only on the transport, DAC and preamp. My monoblock power amp are both connected on ORB as control.

I was using 3 Fim dual receptacles until recently I changed one into ORB together with the ORB faceplate. This resulted to a significant increase in the energy of the power being transmitted as I could feel vividly the dynamics and the resourcefulness on the surge to the climax where burst of power is drawn from the components within a split second. Transparency across the spectrum compared to Fim has obviously been improved.

Now I further replaced the remaining 2 Fim by a Furutech FP-20A (Rhodium) and a Oyaide SWO-XXX receptacles. Installation of the SWO-XXX was particularly difficult according to the engineer because of the size of the hole to house the conductors from the in-wall cable. Installation of the Furutech was on the contrary rather uneventful.

In terms of power transmission, ORB leads the other two by continuing to demonstrate its lowest energy loss and fastest transmission. Contrast in the transients is vivid with a wide dynamic range. Of the three, Oyaide appears to allow energy in the lower spectrum to flow through easier than the mid to high frequency range. Furutech is more linear but still in comparison to ORB, appears a bit shimmer and too disciplined in handling dynamic surge.

Transparency and extension into the treble are no doubt the strength for both ORB and Furutech while Oyaide apparently has an audible limitation on the exploitation in the ultra high compartment. Bass performance has helped Oyaide to gain back a few points although my latest preference is more on dynamics and transparency.

Soundstage is more structured and refined in the case of Furutech and I could feel the positions of the musical objects with much better clarity when components are connected with it. Contours of the image are more distinct. Background darkness and noise platform is the lowest for Furutech among the three. ORB portraits a wilder and livelier soundstage and one could feel more 'sweats' when listening to live concert or Jazz bar type of music. Soundstage depicted by Oyaide is a bit shallow and low although the width is adequately wide.

Of the three, I like ORB the most as afterall, I believe the function of the receptacle is to minimise any energy loss and do not add colorations to the power transmitted. The refinement on the soundstage or background darkness can always be left to be dealt with by the components on the remaining system chain. Attempting to tackle this at this very beginning of the chain may lead me to believe it is 'double counting' and possibly an overkill.

Receptacles do require burning in so if there are any changes as a result of further running in, I will report later.

Marvel

Comments

• Options
    Marvel,

Did you plug amp, preamp, cd and dac into all three? Are your conclusions based on all or mainly the source or poweramp?

I bought the orb ht4g. Very good! I may try the the wall receptacle.

Ju
  • Options
    Julian,

I have 2 ORB wall sockets each for my mono block.

My comparison was done in swapping all transport, DAC and preamp to the 3 different brands of sockets. ORB yields the best result but in terms of purity, Furutech is better. As I explained above, I'd rather the purification be done only once by the components to preserve mimial loss in energy. My vote is still on ORB regardless of the price. (Taking into a/c of price, ORB is a no-brainer!)

Marvel
  • Options
    Julian,

I heard the Furutech last night when the syren and hertiage were plugged into it. Probably the burn-in is not enough, the whole upper section octave was missing. We then switched back to ORB, everything normalized.

We also applied the BACH underneath both tthe Syren and the Zanden 2000 transport main unit. It did not work under the syren but performed underneath the Zanden.

My recent experience of mechanical isolation seems to gradually develop a rule of thumb in my own experience. Apply soft wood against hard surfaces, or hard wood against soft surfaces. The BACH in my own case was applied as an isolation between the solid hard wood walnut floor and the steel chasis of the amp. Similarly, I applied it under the acrylic section of the Zanden 2000p. The acrylic also have a ringing resonating sound in the upper high, depending on acoustics feedback, one may not be able to detech as the Zanden 2000p is tuned by Yamada in his Osaka showroom, which tends to have a acoustic characteristic of warm sound (absorption more than reflection.)

In my case, the BACH under my Zanden 2000p acrylic did not work. In Marvel case, the BACH, to my ears, worked well. Again, I believe acoustic factors play a dominant role even when applying mechanical isolation tools. It is not simply a test of ABABABAB by holding other things constant.

PT