Skip to content
Options

Full Suite of Da Vinci Grandezza Class Setup

When PT emailed me this picture, I was touched. I remembered all the troubles and unforeseen accidents back 16 months ago blocking us from deepening our understanding of musicality through the Western Electric way.

Even now, the setup is only partially complete due to the absence of the Intonation and a bigger listening room that can truly do justice to the House Sound of Da Vinci.

This is quite a picture. The amp stands under the Da Vinci are Ohio XL plus square class vibration control platfroms custom made by SRA. I believe all cables are Argento and the source components also comes from Switzerland - Orpheus Heritage DAC and the Zero transport. I am not going to have too high of an expectation tonight because the 300B in push pull config can only produce 10 watt of power.

The Zanden 9600 retrofit by KR845 tubes, based on PT's experience, cannot drive the Kharma as good as the Wavac MD805. Still, I know for sure the very "musicality" of the DV suite is unique.

I pray the setup for the rest of the evening is smooth. As soon as you hear sound coming out from the speakers, please call me immediately.

J.Lam in Macao

Comments

• Options
    Jlam, how can 10watt drive the difficult Kharma?
  • Options
    I have nothing to say about the system. I am really 迷網 now. I never experienced this kind of Hi-End sound.......

JLam Music Nation
  • Options
    It should be Parallel Single Ended. Not push pull config. My mistakes.
  • Options
    J, that is quite a scene. I can only project the sound by the Grand Reference arm. When will the Intonation hit HK?
  • Options
    I know they are serious stuff. Heard it briefly once half a year ago.
  • Options
    Don't under-estimate the power of pure transformer coupling design. I just found out config of the grandezza system. At first, I thought they are bridged mono amps. One pair is the driver stage after the passive preamp. I have never seen driver stage this big! As big as power amp??? But the passive preamp is small. That is rare design nowadays. Why there is no listening report? They stand a chance to drive the Kharma, I bet.
  • Options
    Anyone listened to the grandezza system yet?
  • Options
    初部聽過.
    聽"挪亞方舟",第一次感受到什麼是包圍感.
    完全聽唔出得10W,比之前的Zandan 好幾多下.
  • Options
    老友,得10watt點樣夠力推到有包圍感?
  • Options
    已有一段時間冇探個世侄,上週六搵佢老頭子飲茶,得知他已榮升呀爺,真係可喜可賀。我地班老爺頭已白,除了平時湊孫返學放學,便是跟班老死吹吹Hi Fi經。老梁話個仔返了套堅野,盛意繳請我和唐伯父指教下。飲完杯香片後就即搭的士去老梁處。

進房後,第一個感覺就是好大陣丈!一部無源前加一對各七十多磅重的推動級連同一對並聯式的300B後級。呢個陣容現今真是少見,老梁又話那四塊墊低的黑色野是高科技產品,又話用美軍潛水艇技術,講到眉飛色舞,呀唐即插咀說:開機啦呀梁!聽聲收貨!

我地出名口嗅,彈總是多個讚,我地不想浪費時間,一考便拿隻挪亞方舟出來,10watt睇你貨仔點死!挑那星,上帝把聲從後牆之後傳來,距離感好夠明顯穿了後場,男聲雄渾有勁,跟著班細路走出台,左唱右唱,走前走後,整個音場的堂音是包圍整個房間,左右場都穿埋,各樂器位置精楚之餘,每個表現者的靈魂也被勾畫得栩栩如生。我和呀唐你眼望我眼啞口冇言。低音雖不是我家車佬的力水,但又不覺得冇力,整個音場如幻似真的空間感營造出一種難以形容的迫力,人聲的真緻,運氣後的能量解放,甚致是班細佬踏木板地台的聲音都是十分之迫真。之後我們又聽了半套卡門,男女高音的奔放演釋和音色的連綿細緻又是一絕。

一間百多呎的房間有這種音場表現確實是駭人。呀老梁,你知我為人一定要心服口服才認承你寫聽後報告,我和唐拍父都無野講,更想不到要在花甲之年後才能真正感受到一套好的音響所帶來的震撼是有幾利害。

功課已交,下星期寶湖飲茶,你請。
  • Options
    Studiogrey, you seem to be the only one listen to the full grandezza system. Do you agree with the Chinese comments above?
  • Options
    Julian, 我今日自己買隻挪亞返家聽,聲效真係唔錯,但在grandezza上聽到的包圍感真係出唔到.只可描寫出後方的音場,但之前聽到出現在那叭前面的包圍感無咗.
    3D無倫,音場出到那叭前3-4尺,好似睇AV咁但無咗後置姐,
    那天又聽到另一隻人聲碟,有一点点不足是感到結他和人聲比較濃咗少少,可能係10W推kharma的問題但我个人口味係比較鍾意清啲嘅聲.
    如高教所言,音色的連綿細緻真係一絕,如果唔係急住抬机走,真係想聽耐啲^;^
  • Options
    Went there for 1.5hrs. Really regretted going there but at the same time it is such an mind boggling experience. Comments of Studiogrey hing and old "Siu Fu" are the same. I also feel the soundstage performance is never unheard of. I request PT to replay Carmen opera track 5 to track 10 two times. The voices are wide open and expressive. The vocals moving around integrate with a soundstage have deep depth. Like old siu fung feeling, it comes from behind the window.

I think PT replaced the Stealth indra between the Heritage dac and the passive preamp today by a pair of Serenity XLR, so the mid range is now just about right.

It seems the PT is very eager for the da vinci intonation speaker. I don't know why can be improve from what I heard today. It seems high efficiency from old days technology making a strong come back. It is undeny true after listen to Eufro 2 times. What about the cessaro horn? What about the Intonation?

Even I got the money, I have no space. Good for me.

Ju
  • Options
    So, I am right. 10 watt enough to drive the Kharma if the amp is spilt into mono driver stage and mono amplification stage. I tried to book appointment for a listen but PT say someone came today. May I know who went there today? Can you share more?
  • Options
    I went there today. I wasn't too comfortable with the small size of the room in the first few minutes. It did not take too long to involve with magnificient soundstage. The enveloping development of the soundstage is amazing on all kind of recordings. The carmen fantasy is shocking to say the least. At certain interval, I feel like the vocal is walking towards me and then go back to the virtual space. Such palpability, I only experienced today. I thought the ongaku carries a saint status in the midrange. The experience today defies my long time belief.