Skip to content
Options

DSo's venture into the vinyl world - the setup of AAS Gabriel Aston Martin Black

2»

Comments

• Options
    Danny,
    I am sure your adventure to vinyl should not be a new one for you...we both should have gone through a time period before CD came to the world although at that time turntables were just the price of the disc clamp that you owns now....do share with us your experience as there are many DV and Zanden users out there waiting for your insightful findings...particularly on what tubes would fit Zanden most pairing with DV...I have yet replaced any tubes inside partly because I believe in Yamada san's skills and partly because of I am waiting for the availability of some tubes that PT has mentioned to me sometime ago when he sent the same to yamada san for testing and installation on his own phono...so far PT is too tied up to switch on his own Zanden phono, so I have no clue if PT's choice is good or bad...please share more....

Marvel
  • Options
    Danny,

That's why we all have the Zanden mark 3 phono. Aren't we? Some argue spinning vinyls on the correct curves are merely perceptions. But I continue to see people shopping for EMT JPA-66 without understanding them. That's fine with me. I know I have no patience to adjust those curves and the pre-set curves in Zanden thus suits my needs better. I am especially fond of the "TELDEC" curve because I am a big fan of Karajan.

The marriage between Da Vinci and Wavac is an interesting and yet provacative in my subjective opinion. My recommendation is to spin some symphonic scores by Wagner and Mahler.

Try Wanger to see if you can feel the fusion between the colorful application of metalic horn and string applications at the same time. The horns should not dominate the warmth of string and vice versa. How can it be? Well, that's the mastery of Wagner. I am sure you know the thems song of "STAR WAR", clearly under the influence of Wagner.

Even at such grand scores, the sub sessions/plot of the main theme has chamber-like delicacy under the baton of Karajan. The whole Berlin orchestra spinning on the Gabriel under the correct Teldec curve has an unspoken sense of transparency from front to back, and left to right.

The Gabriel is capable of revealing subtleties and extreme delicacies of the wind and string sessions even for such grand symphonic scores. You will understand "orchestration" a lot more in a musical sense. With the Bergman, the string sessions are performing very well. The bass, to my surprise, are there with speed and resolution. However, I don’t feel the whole band is under the control of Karajan. Somehow the Berlin orchestra cannot blend together. There is a clinical tone of the whole band and this is definitely not the Berlin described in the musical literature and all documentaries on Karajan. I have to admit it is very good for sensational Hi Fi enjoyment. With the Kuzma, I felt the Berlin is not under Karajan but Celidabache instead no matter what cartridge/arm I use. The musical atmosphere has become too solemn and the tone of the band is warmer than usual. The balance between horn and strings always tilts to the latter. And I know that’s not right.

Let’s discuss more when you are more familiar with it.
  • Options
    Uncle Ray,

Out of curiosity, I played a few cut of Wagner's symphony under your recommendation. I have no idea what is wrong and what is right. Having said that, I am not satisfied with the string session with the horns are simultaneously roaring. It seems the string session all of a sudden starts losing resolution when they perform together with the horns. The horns seem to sound less metallic when the strings are there. They are both performing well when either one of them is muted. Does it mean my system is not capable of playing wagner?
  • Options
    It is not easy to get Wagner right. Not a major issue if you are not a wagenerian. From what you just described, it is a clear case of "not passing". Neither did I get it right for a few years.

When we escalate our gears to the next level, I believe it is a good idea to move up our evaluation standard too. We do understand what is the tonality of a cello/violin/piano. But what about the tonality of the whole orchestra. Why the world has so much to say about great conductors is because the band under different baton will have a whole different band sound.
  • Options
    Dso, after more run-in, your AAS should sound much better, right?
  • Options
    DSo,

Where have you been? I learnt about your happiness from the Gabriel from a short chat of PT over the phone during the weekend.

Have you seen the photo of the new flywheel design platter? I will get mine in May. Trust you can't really escape too.

Ray
  • Options
    Raymond,

I had a little problem with my tone arm, but fortunately PT helped me to replace a new one within a few weeks. AE always provide the best service in the industry, my salute to them again.

After installing the new tone arm by Mr. Chik, I have been busy in fine tuning of the setting for the past 3 weekends. It’s really painstaking but very rewarding. The sound coming from Gabriel + Zanden is now incredible, it provides lots of details from top to bottom which I have never experienced from any CD or other LP source before. What also amazes me is the bass which is fast, tight and punchy, everything is damn so good and it seems finding the weakness of this combo is not an easy thing to do.

PT already discussed with me about the new flywheel, do you think I can resist it? But I will wait for sometime until I learn more from the old one, and therefore I can have a better understanding between the two versions.

Marvel,

I tried to replace the stock tubes of Zanden phono by different NOS ones, but finally changed all back to the stock ones because they provide the best control and tonal balance.

Since I have a much better source and you have the upgraded version of Takumi now, it’s time to call for a rematch. PT must bring the Syren Black Label this time.
  • Options
    Danny,

It is glad that your source is now performing up to your stringent requirements! I would be delighted to come and learn more. We are perhaps in the 2 extreme far ends of the category in researching on the potential of the gears. No wonder you have been awarded by AE on the best improvement in 2009, I have absolutely no strive at all compared to you. I have never thought of trying different tubes on the Zanden phono, PT said he is using a different set from stock tubes, I asked if he can get me a set and that's it...I even don't bother to remember what he is getting, as long as PT chooses and endorsed by Yamada san (as he installed them for PT at the time of manufacturing and testing), I am 150% rest assured.

A rematch using my new version of Takumi would definitely be exciting! Let's get PT to arrange the logistics but may I counter propose to use my Tidal Preos as the preamp instead of Syren, I think using Preos is already enough to demonstrate the point I wish to verify the matching between PRT1+833 and Takumi. I was still stunned by the results in our last matching by pairing PRT1 with Takumi.

I was told that Tron is designing the new Syren Black Label with an outboard power supply to further reduce the noise platform, isn't it exciting to hear about this? Danny, you should really grasp one before its price goes up, except for the sky price Prescencio from Tidal, I think Syren is the best preamp that I have listened to, this carries the endorsement of PTsang who has ordered one already!

Marvel
    Marvel
  • Options
    Hey come on guys, it is not so hard to beat the "Asian coloration" camp.
  • Options
    Hello Danny and Raymond,

The difference between the new platter and the old one on the AAS Gabriel is "dramatic in exponential scale". Imagine the improvement is perhaps 5 times bigger than the jump from SMR cables to FMR cables.

I truly admire Danny's spirit to hold the fortress of Wavac for such a long time. But the presence of Gabriel and soon to be Gabriel MK2 after the new platter upgrade, it deserves even better analog amplification to get the most out of the Gabriel.

Don't you guys know JLam is building a super isolation system purely dedicated (rack) to fully integrate with the Gabriel. Even the paint is exactly Aston Martin Black. The potential of the Gabriel is immense, truly immense.

Jeff
    (Taipei)
  • Options
    Jeff,

What rack are you referring to?

Puyi