Skip to content
Options

High End Digital Media Servers - Anyone with experience?

Also, a lot of folks have been pushing me to go for turntables. I've been struggling with this for a long time, and I have finally come a decision NOT to go for it. What I will definitely be exploring in a move to a digital media server solution. I travel a LOT of work, and I hardly have time to listen to my current system, meaning I won't have time for an analogue system. I know there are many die-hard LP folks here that will probably cry heresy, but I have decided to go the digital route...

I've asked PT to start looking around for a high end solution that can come close to the Zanden. What I'd like to do, is to run the media server through the Vekian DAC. Though, somehow I think the media server solutions are not there yet. You either

1) Build it yourself - either a MAC or PC running something like AMARRA

or pay big bucks for something like a

1) Linn DS - Which does not have a digital out
2) Meridian Soooloos - Looks interesting now that Meridian has just purchased them.

I'm currently using the Slimdevices Transporter running through the Vekian, but the sound is terrible. I only use it now to listen to Internet radio.

I know some folks on this list are exploring this. Anyone with views on what the best solution is? I'm thinking that if I spend the same amount of money I would spend on a good analogue system, I could probably get a comparable Media server solution.
Should I wait or take the plunge? Do I go DIY or buy one of the brand-name digital media solutions?

Comments

• Options
    Dear Katongkid,

I have played around with computer based audio during the last few months. So please don’t mind about my lack of depth on my analysis.
    I personally never played music with any Mac before. I read from several forum (like Computer Audiophile) that Mac by itself (with the I-Tune) will not give you "Bit-perfect" audio output. I also don't know the exact meaning of "Bit perfect" but it is likely to be related to the non-distorted audio data output from our computer to the the DAC through either USB or Firewire (computer carries a lot of different tasks, a dedicated path is needed to get complete audio data transfer). For Window Vista, WASAPI (a free attachment in Foobar2000) was well demonstrated to be a "Bit-perfect" output. Without the WASAPI, I sensed that the flow of music delivery from computer to speaker becomes strongly distorted and everything is not correct. Some typical view from an expert in Benchmark Audio (they have experiences in making computer DAC) is as follows:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/108bench/index5.html

The technical comments as mentioned above also tell us more on the use of MAC for "Bit-perfect" audio output. I heard that "AMARRA" software is needed for high end operation if one uses MAC as the "Source". I like Foobar2000 because it is free of charge and add non-detectable decoration to the original music data but it comes from my sole feeling on PC.

My current PC set-up is quite straightforward. You just need to connect a good Notebook (e.g., HP, Toshiba, Dell not so good) with the best USB port (not all ports perform the same on the same computer). Then download the Foobar2000 software and also the "WASAPI" add-on (for Bit Perfect Output). Once connected, on the "Output Device" category, please choose WASAPI (Speakers: "DAC”) if you will directly connect your computer to the USB input of your Vekian. Then convert your CD into "wav" file with the use of a free software called "Exact Audio Copy".

For USB, a few companies make audiophile cables including Locus Design Group in US and Entreq in Sweden. I have tried products from both companies. I personally feel that Entreq get the best bargain in the Konstantin USB cable which cost around S$600. Of course, it is impossible to beat your current CD-based setup with this PC + cable setup but at least you can try to run a huge music library continuously from your PC.

Just my simple thought on this area.

Milky Boyz
  • Options
    All macs are bit perfect straight from the box, I use a MBP with Amarra to use the Vekiam I would suggest buying a Weiss INT202 firewire interface, get the remote volume control at the same time.
    Connect the INT202 to the mac ( firewire ) and the INT202 to the Vekian (AES) and the Vekian as usual to your pre or power amps.
    The NT202 can be used as a preamp if you wish.
    Keith.
  • Options
    Dear Keith,

I heard that Mac + AMARRA + Firware combination has certain competitive advantages over other computer audio sources. Would you please elaborate a little bit more on that?

Have someone rigorously compared the MAC based combo with other PC based audio source in playing music, e.g., Foobar or J. River + USB DAC, etc?

Thank you very much!

Milky Boyz
  • Options
    MB Hi, it's alost impossible to hear every possible combination Mac or PC software, Wasapi kernel streaming MC Play media monkey Foobar etc etc.
    I continue to experimet with PC's ,Windows 7 now of course, but a Mac running a properly designed async firewire dac with Amarra is just so good and so simple, control the whole thing with an ipod touch, neat simple and sounds excellent.
    As I think I mentioned technically the 'best'solution is async firewire, ( Weiss /Amarra Model 4/ Metric halo ) or Async USB which is Wavelength, which at the moment limited to 24/96.
    Everyone is surprised just how good computer audio can be, perhaps better than any optical player! Keith.
  • Options
    Hi Keith,
    Thanks for your useful information.
    1) Have you tried connecting your Mac directly to the Vekian via USB?

2) Or (as you mentioned) is the Mac->Weiss INT202->Vekian (using Firewire) is a better combination?

3) With regards to Amarra, would you recommend the Amarra or Amarra mini?

4) I was thinking of using a MAC Mini vs a MBP. Any differences you can think of?

Thanks ahead of time!

Regards,
    Mohan
  • Options
    Mohan Hi, Mike Stahl told meto only use the USB for 'convenience', I hae never heard great sound with USB yet, the little Weiss device looks perfect to use with dacs that only have sp/dif or AES.
    Mac Mini versus macbook pro, really I do not know, friends use a mini very successfully, there is talk that 4 gig of RAM is necessary, now there is talk that a Mac Pro with 16 gig will be better still.
    If you can get the full version of Amarra, soon there will be released ,cd ripping, sample ratr conversion and vinyl archiving software, and it samples up to 24/192, the 'mini' is only 24/96'
    Let me know how you get on, very best,Keith.
  • Options
    Katongkid,

I was lucky enough to be in attendance of the Audiophile Computer Symposium sponsored by ComputerAudiophile.com We heard PC, G5, NAS, and lastly, compared spinning drives vs. solid state. Also, With and without Amarro. All heard thru the same setup using Pacific Microsonics DAC, line level matched.

Most of the attendants agreed that the G5/Lynx card/Amarro/SS drive sounded best. The PC was a bit grainy and less musical. and the NAS sounded the worst of the three. This was my impression at least.

Check out the website, there's a ton of info, plus recommended components.

Chris