Skip to content
Options

Tidal Contriva Diacera Arrives in Singapore

2»

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations Katongkid! What an awesome speaker, electronics and room. This is my first post here, and am an American who owns a modest setup compared to you lucky guys in Asia! ;)
    I have a pr. of Tidal Pianos, Argento Serenity cables, a need to upgrade piece, a BAT VK5i, Canary 339 (300B tubes monos at 50wt/ch) and a tweaked out Sony SCD-777ES, and for analog, a Nottingham Space Deck with upgraded arm, Rega RB700 with Ingognito wire upgrade and a cheap phono pre. Hardly competes with you guys, but I'm pretty happy. I could definitely upgrade my pre, phono pre and cd source, but just moved into new digs and can't afford it right now. So, I'll just live vicariously thru the systems I see here on AE.

Nice to meet everyone,
    Chris
  • Options
    Thanks Chris and Milky Boyz for your kind comments!
    I guess Milky Boyz and me were updating the forum at the same time!
    I'm enjoying the sound right now during this lazy Sunday. Want it to settle a little before I give it a full listening to, maybe next week.
    Anyone in Singapore is also welcome to my place to audition the Tidals. Email me at katongkid@gmail.com

Mohan
  • Options
    It feels good to meet another Tidal user. The Contriva Diacera will have a lot of capacity and potential than the PiaDia on everything. Tidal is not a plug-and-play speaker, and will tell you instantly what goes wrong in the chain. It seems to me it takes Alecy about a year to understand what is really going on with Tidal (based on his fine English writing plus occasional conversation with PT).

My fingers are crossing for your write up.
  • Options
    Katongkid, what a nice pair of speakers. I guess you will soon replace the current amplifier. You need an amplifier with better control (i.e. higher damping factor) to maximize the potential of Tidal speakers.

I listened to the Sunray once. I was impressed. Although the breathing space for the Sunray was limited, the speakers still disappeared into the room leaving no walls. Tidal speakers are extremely revealing. We did a demo of applying the coral feet under the Grimm clock with/without, and the resultant change in tonal balance is huge. In that particular setup, the addition of the coral feet dries up the lower mid-bass a bit too much to my liking. When we take it out, the bloom in the lower mid-bass comes back and the Sunray rocks. That in turn depends on which DAC he is using. With the Vekian in chain, the application of the coral feet is a must. But when the DAD is in chain, the opposite is true.
  • Options
    I heard From PT that your speaker sound crazy!! He also said it is quite different form the one is the munich show.

TEMPTING!!
  • Options
    Katongkid,

How's your Tidal experience so far? Are you busy re-arranging cables or quite possibly getting better cables or fixing the room. Tidal is extremely revealing. By now, the Wavac 805, should be the weakest link. The control is not good enough to drive a speaker at your level. At loud or complicated passages, you may experience some congestion now. The density/resolution of the lower mid range may sound quite thin.

Is this somewhat your experience so far? But for some recordings, it must be freakingly live and realistic.

Ray
  • Options
    Raymond,
    You are SPOT ON.
    Yes, the Tidal is probably the most revealing speaker I've experienced. Some music are amazingly live and enveloping.
    I'm doing a few adjustments. Currently, my right side seems to be overpowering the left. Only reason I can think is because the left side is open, and my right side has a wall. PT suggested that I toe in the left side a little more. Its helped a little, but not completely.
    You are also right on the 805s. I noticed its weakness right away. The lower mid range IS thin, as you mentioned.
    However, I'm extremely happy with it. It still requires adjustment to get the best from it, and probably an upgrade of my amps. Any recommendations?

Regards,
    Mohan
  • Options
    These three amps will do: Wavac HE833 v1.3, Tidal Impact Stereo, and the Takumi by Robert Koda. I have actual field experiences of these amp driving the Tidal.
  • Options
    What music do you like?
  • Options
    Listen to all sorts of music. Nothing in particular. PT has recommended the Takumi which I may go for soon. The 805 is definitely out of place in my current setup.
  • Options
    If you can afford, the Tidal mono block is the perfect partner for your speakers. The control is effortless and the amount of details presented by them are always in pristine purity. They don't lie. There is no makeup.

I presume you know the house sound of Wavac. The 833 is a higher manifestation of the ITIC circuit - the emphasize is always on energy. The damping factor may be too low for speakers like Tidal with only 87db sensitivity.

Wavac is good. I have a pair of 805mk2 but I am not a fan of 833. The tonality of the 833 has undue emphasis on the mid-range which is good after awhile or else you need to do all sort of things to add/subtract to get the balance right.

I have not listened to the Takumi yet. Uncle Raymond can tell you much more.
  • Options
    This was a difficult review to write.
    Not only was I overwhelmed with both the presence and the sound of my new Tidal Contriva Diacera (Diamond Ceramic) SEs, but equally underwhelmed with the performance of my Wavac 805s driving the Tidals ;( How could I write a review without the full potential of the Tidal's realized? Well here goes. I'll write another review once I decide on whether to go with the Takumi or the Tidal Impact monoblocks.

I have 2 criteria when I decide on a speaker. Sound and Looks! Call me superficial, but I'm of the school of thought that music in my home
    should be inclusive and NOT exclusive. Therefore, eventhough I do have the space and extra rooms, the music system is always outside in the living room, not shut away in a seperate room. I also encourage my wife to use and play it all the time. Infact, since I travel so much for work, she ends up listening to it more often than I do!! Also, I feel that music needs to pervade the house all the time.

SO, since the system is in the living room, it needs to look good, and what a LOOKER the Tidal's are. Its like this piece of beautiful modern sculpture. I've owned everything from Kharmas to Sonus Fabers to Hornings, and the Tidals are by far the speakers with the best looks. If you are considering them, get the Piano Black. The contrast of the black piano finish against the white ceramic drivers when you are facing them directly is out of this world! It looks like it belongs in a Wallpaper magazine cover. However, I personally feel the best part of the Tidal is when you look at its profile from the side. It has this swept back look, that only adds to its powerful presence. The folks at Tidal should seriously consider placing a photo of its profile on the
    website! Also 9 times out of 10, the immediate reaction from both men (and women) when they see the speakers are 'Wow! Cool looking speakers!'

So, how do they sound? One word. REAL.
    Actually scarily real! Let me relate a funny story. As I mentioned, my wife listens to the system more than me. She usually works on her computer sitting facing the speakers straight on
    There is a track on one of her favourite a classical CD that has bells that sound exactly like my doorbell (which is actually behind her on the left). So for a whole week, when she was playing that certain track, she thought someone was ringing the doorbell. She would get up, go to the door and find no one there! She complained to me every night that someone was playing the fool, until I happen to notice what was happening when I
    played the same track a few days later!
    The Tidals shine when it comes to the piano. You can sometimes feel the musician press the piano key. 'Live' albums take a life of their own. I
    hear things on tracks that I've never heard before. This has led me to end up buying a lot of 'live' albums recently. Its versatile too, equally adept at vocals as it is to classical, to electronic music, hip-hop, jazz and rock! Though it was when I was listening to rock, that I realized that the Wavac 805s were struggling to drive the Tidals. There was distortion at the upper limits. Imagine my dissapointment!!

I could go on and on about the Tidals, but let me rave about it more, when I mate it with a new pair of amps.

As I write this, my wife and me are working on our laptops sitting infront of the Tidals. We have 'Diana Krall's - Live in Paris' playing soft. It also happens to be a cool, windy night. And somehow, eventhough its soft, I hear everything. Diana's voice and piano seem to be hanging in the air enveloping us, but never interfering. The notes are lightly touching us like feathers.

Its times like this, I think... DAMM! The money I paid for those black beauties were worth every cent!!