Skip to content
Options

Zanden 1200 Mark 3 phono-stage - Asian Premier Full Report

Comments

• Options
    Are you using Siemens CCA for the Zanden phono mk3? I am using all CCA. In the tube rectifier section, I applied two Mullard there. This phono is excellent. A friend of mine who owned the EMT JPA-66 pay a visit to listen mine yesterday. On the curve selection part, there is nothing you can really do and compete with the Zanden especially the custom "teldec" curve for DGG and associated label. The density/color of sound is amazing - something I could only taste from Da Vinci phono so far. The Da Vinci's rich availability palette of tonal color is still the champion but Zanden is really colorful this time. As WChow said - rediscovering records after records. Yamada san has done a great job!
  • Options
    Hi gentlemen,

I am very pleased to hear you guys are as excited as me after auditioning the famed Zanden phono in your home ground (instead of someone else's).

I have read many futile debates over the sonic differences or characters of electronic equipments in the past and present because audiophiles are persuing certain sonic signature from their equipments and I put this down to personal bias/preference as opposed to the absolute tonality.

Let me declare I have no intention of stirring any more debate on which electronic equipment sounds best or should I put it objectively, more correct. If you find the Zanden phono reproduces the "colour" (tonality) of the acoustic instruments recorded on the LPs better than other phonos you had used, then we have concurrence here this particular piece of equipment sounds closest to the LP recording.

Our next journey is to explore whether the Zanden amps have similar or the exact characteristics as its phono. In my experience, the majority may sometimes be wrong and in case you later discover the Zanden combo can reproduce surprisingly realistic sound than any other combos you have heard, wouldn't it be equally exciting too.

As I had stated in an earlier topic, life is a journey, travel it well - those lucky ones will reach their destinations much faster than others.
    Let us congratulate fellow Model 1200 owners journey's end and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Mr Z
  • Options
    Mr.Zanden,

After connecting the Zanden phono mark 3 to the Troy via a ground wire, the improvement of tonality is beyond my verbal descriptions as reported by Peter Tsang too (I believe he was referring to the Zanden digital source). In the phono section, after the lowering of the ground noises, the dynamic has improved markedly.

I am now eagerly waiting for the delivery of the Wavac AC-2 conditioner due later this month to feed my front end equipments. The AC-2 technology comes directly from the crazy power supply section of the SH833 system. The Tripoint does a great job of cleaning the ground noise floor. The AC-2, I am sure, will clean up those dirts coming from the AC lines.
  • Options
    I agree. Connection of the phono to the troy elevates the overall performance by two notches. The "teldec" curve is really useful. I did not realize wrong equalizations distort the sound/musicality so much
  • Options
    Charles also joined the Zanden Phono MK3 camp. He SMS me last night "Zanden is really good".
  • Options
    呢部Zanden phono係一部真真正正聽音樂的器材, 逮勝我部天鵝的內置phono. 雖然我資歷未到位, 但我好享受選擇曲線的感覺, 有一種我有你冇的自豪.
  • Options
    I have practically tried all the flagship cartridges in the past few years (Dynavector XV-1t, Transfiguration Orpheus L, Lyra Olympos, Jan Alaerts, EMT JSD5/6 gold and so many more.) But still I love this one the most because it touches me the most.
  • Options
    連植師父都用埋Zanden phono mark 3就知有幾堅啦! 佢從前只信原子粒, 但呢部phono真係如藝術品一樣, 曲線選擇, 加埋個phase switch先至叫真真正正的瘋佬!
  • Options
    All the latest DC cables handmade by Yamada arrived too. I will distribute them in the next few days. They were all pre-sold.
  • Options
    New Zanden DC cables.

I have got the one for the Zanden phono and CD from PT on Sat night, hooked them up yesterday...would DC cable attracts noise interference? If an interconnect does, if a speaker cable does, then why not DC cable? I tried to replace Yamada San's DC cable by tailoring making from a US brand silver cable, the result was not bad but the treble did ring a bit and later I changed back. Jeff from Taiwan knew about that story as I recall he tried something else as well.

I talked to Yamada san last week when he was in Hongkong attending the grand opening of AE's showroom. He has recently put in a lot of enthusiasm and research on cable technology so it comes as no surprise to me that these DC cables would outperform their original DC cables. The improvement is not insignificant under the smaller Tidal suite in my system and I can imagine if PT puts the DC cable in his Zanden phono in the showroom, the improvement would be quite dramatic!

Taking this opportunity, I would like to thank Yamada san for visiting HK and brought me these DC cables, not to mention the nice Japanese snack which Jlam was quite envious of not getting any, haha...

Marvel
  • Options
    我比呢條DC線嚇到, 想不到呢部phono還可以大大提升寧靜度, 光暗對比更靚.
  • Options
    I agree! I never expect such a cable can lower the noise floor so much. The sounds has become even smoother with lots of contrast and fine details.
  • Options
    The Zanden power is amazing. I found it to be extremely quiet and lively at the same time. The application to the phono stage is a must but never do I expect it seems to do a lot more on digitals.
  • Options
    Kudos to Yamada san who bring such improvement to my vinyl playback through his latest DC/AC cords.
  • Options
    It is really a surprise. The Zanden cord is one of the greatest I have ever tried.