Skip to content
Options

Shilabe on Schroder Reference SQ arm

The Schroder Ref SQ has been sleeping for one long year. I am extremely happy to see him returning to the service of music. It is indisputable in the analog community the Schroder is one of the best pivot arms ever made. The only downside, at least in my experience, is the difficulty of setting it up and the constant fine-tuning required to make it sound right.

Comments

• Options
    Ralph uses more than three different analog tools to do cross-checking of all the parameters.
  • Options
    He then followed to use the disc from Pluton
  • Options
    Two Shilabe was sold yesterday. Charles was in for a short audition after mounting the Shilabe on the Schroder arm on the Da Vinci Unison turntable. Tracking force was set at 2.8g (recommended tracking force is 2.5-3.2). His comments were "dynamic, clean, detailed and relax". Then he bought one new and went home.

It can be explained logically. The magnetic bearing of the Schroder arm has a tendency to produce a very airy and clean soundstage similar to air-bearing arm. The lower mid bass attack and the weight of the bass are usually on the lighter side. I remembered mounting the Jan Alaerts MCB on the Schroder 18 months ago produced a sound balance that was tilted upwards. The Shilabe, on the other hand, has a (wider) triangular energy balance. The bass goes deep, fast and dynamic. That is a good match with the Schroder (magnetic bearing) and the Da Vinci Unison (magnetic bearing).

Also, the Shilabe's impedance is 16 ohm with 0.35mv. The Da Vinci phono stage with step up transformer inside suits it the best. All I need to do is to change the impedance to 20 ohm and click the gain switch to 26db.

I am very happy now because I have the Da Vinci Grandezza for classical and the Schroder/Shilabe for jazz. I will mount the Thales on the AAS Gabriel later.
  • Options
    Great taste and great match! The schroder is in a class of its own and the match of Shilabe should be heavenly, similar to the Shilabe mounted on the Bergman linear tracking arm.
  • Options
    Missing Pictures from old sites reloaded. I truly feel the Schroder Reference SQ arm is one of a rare legend ever.
  • Options
    Ralph's analog set up skill is simply an "understatement".
  • Options
    DV Arm and Schroder Arm on the same Unison turntable.