Skip to content
Options

Amarra

I don't know how many of you guys use a compter/server as source, but if any of you use a Mac with 'itunes' you must try the Amarra software from Sonic Studio, there is a free download available ( but it cuts out every 30 seconds ) or you can write to Sonic and ask for a free 14 dat trial, it is superb throught the Vekian using a Weiss as firewire interface it is the best digital reproduction I have heard, I would be interested to hear al your thoughts, regards Keith.
http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/index.html

Comments

• Options
    If this software is free, i will download^^
  • Options
    As I mentioned there is a download available, but it is configured to cut out every thirty seconds, much better to get hold of the full version if you can, as well as the sound quality which is superb, it offers auto sample rate changing ( you don't have to shut iTunes down if you change sample rates ) there is a properly dithered volume and an interesting built in EQ, definitely worth a listen,Keith.
    There is a recent thread on 'Computer Audiophile' 'symposium ' that is quite fascinating if you use a computer bsed system.
  • Options
    Hi Keith,
    I've been searching for a haddrive/transport solution for some time. I'm currently running my iTunes library through a Slimdevices Transporter connected to the Vekian. The sound is less than satisfactory. Frankly I now only end up using it
    1) when I have parties and I need music running in the background
    2) to listen to internet radio - NPR and some overseas radio stations that I respect e.g KCRW etc
    3) my wife (who's Swedish) listens to Swedish internet radio everyday.
    From speaking with a lot of folks on the net, I keep running into (as you rightly mentioned) the Amarra software solution. Seems that its best used with the Mac, where it replaces Quicktime as the main output (I think).
    What are your thoughts on this as I'm about ready to take the plunge and invest in a Mac Mini? I've also been told to invest in a solid state drive to reduce vibrations.
    The software ain't cheap. About US$1.5k I think, and you can also get a hardware output.
    How are you running it? Via a Mac? What's the sound reproduction like? The Vekian only has a USB input (not Firewire)
  • Options
    I've also told PT that if he can find an exotic harddrive solution that he is satisfied with, I'd be the first person to buy it!!
  • Options
    Katon Hi, one more thing Amarra piggy backs on iTunes , Amarra will only play uncompressed files, I would also buy an i pod touch and download the 'remote control' application, it is really cool! Keith.
  • Options
    Keith, can you log in to this new website? Just want to let you know that I had successfully get the DAD 2-channel to work after quite a series of hiccup.
  • Options
    PT, did you connect it to your Mac? Were you able to download the Amarra software?
    How did it sound?
  • Options
    Katon Hi, tell me your trials and tribulations with the DAD, how does it sound? Keith.
  • Options
    No, I haven't really tried because I am completely tied up with many issues. The DAD only has RS422 port inside. Connection to the Mac requires a RS422 driver. In the Itune, where I can change the sampling rate?

I am the type of person who is very fearful of computer related works. In this regard, my interest is not as high as other computer audiophile. I am still a purist.
  • Options
    Keith,

How do I connect an external clock in between a CD transport and the DAC?

My current understanding is: a digital cable in between the transport and the DAC; then a clock cable between the external clock and the DA word in.

Does it mean there is no physical connection between the CD transport and the external clock?