Skip to content
Options

120lb Turntable....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jeff, you used the wrong wording. It is not a waste. It is called the "Pride of Ownership".

VR
  • Options
    I dare not listen syren phono, the 7 reference sound so good to me. Marvel bro has all the money to buy top level gears, and his hard earned result agree by Srajan too. Why there is no LP in his system? As a junior audiophile, I don't understand. The Zanden sounds good, very good digital front end, compares to LP, hard to go back to digital.

Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    Patrick, what turntable is yours? Tron is good at piano music. If you like piano, no other machine can do piano as good as tron.

Marvel is waiting for the Baldur Reference Preamp, I don't think he is interested in vinyl. We privately email for 2 years, and tell him not to waste time on swiss candy, french sacd and many other stuff that are not better than his reference system shown on 6moon. He certainly has the money but he seems not interested. My friend over here in Taiwan feel Marvel bro is some sort of Hi Fi Playboy (no offense to Marvel bro, we always chat about you over this boring island).

A LP system is for very long term relationship usually. Many of my friends still keep the Linn Sondek after 20 years, but they also have the clearaudio master reference tt. Maybe, we are the real playboy because we keep many woman over a long period of time.

Enough jokes, I wish he is in the lp world soon. There is more music there. The 6moon report say Marvel bro's current "sound" is hard earned. I respect the judgment because I have all his gears over my mansion here and those things are top of the hill electronics. I only have no idea about those acoustic devices.

But Srajan in the conclusion say both Eufrodite in AE and Peter system play more music. I have the Neo speakers, ever since my buddy uses the Horning, I have tremendous hard time going back, realizing there is a big difference between sound and music.

Patrick, if you are not hi fi playboy, I think your choice of tron 7 reference pretty much tell me you are someone who values music a lot despite your early journey.

Jeff
  • Options
    hey hey hey...just a few days and you guys have been joking on me...

LP in 2007, period. ON the same piece of recording, LP is simply much superior especially in an ever improving system of PT.

LP in 2007 is still in my plan unless some other ad hoc things pop up....

Marvel
  • Options
    Jeff, you got a very good name for Marvel bro!

How's PT analogue fare now? What abt the Swiss Cow? Why Jlam label a transformer as cow? I don't get it.

VR
  • Options
    I really love this cow! It interepret music at a new level.
  • Options
    And the cartridge is magnificient too! I prefer it to the Universe and the Dynavector XV-1S.
  • Options
    Have been struggling in the past 2 weeks to spend more time to finetune the setup. Installation of the emminent brings more inner details across the whole specturm but seems short of dynamics. Its a bit unusal hence it require more verification.

I have the honour of Marvel Bro visiting my apartment and had a brief listening session. Of course, my setup is by no means up to the Marvel Bro's "standard". In addition to further finetuning on the LP setup, speeding up my upgrade plan on the backend appears to be inevitable.

Currently, I am using Wavac MD300B driving a pair of FAL CX90. IMO, the "natural" experience on chamber and vocal is so unique that most mainstream speakers (even with diamond tweeter) can hardly produce. The problem is my listening area is too big that the current setup can fill up.

Just need more money.... A better 2007 and good health to all AE fellows.

Big Piece
  • Options
    Shanghai dude,

"Standard" refers to....??? Sound perspective? You got to spell out more next time. We are all learning from Marvel bro in this forum. It sounds like you are serious about vinyl. The Raven is one hell of turntable. The arm of yours is unique, the first note on the violin melted me down last time in the showroom.

No idea how the Fal stuff sounds. I never like Japanese speakers. What about the Horning? What about a push-pull solution?

With a serious source like the Raven, your speakers are not up to the standard. Move soon, dude.

VR
  • Options
    Bigpiece,

How large is your listening room in Shanghai? Are you in Pudong or Puxi? I have some business partners over there, also crazy about Hi Fi. There is a DV arm in Puxi. Jlam may allot the raven tt to you sooner than my friend in Pux, like he always does treat HK brothers better. I think the FAL is good speaker, but may be to small to fill up large space. I have a pair in study room in another villa. Single end tube is good enough to drive the FAL. Push pull is a waste on the FAL because the speakers cannot go low. The bass is indirect. You got to change speakers.

Are you a good friend of Marvel bro? Is he in Shanghai now? Did he bring the FMR for you to try on Wavac?

You sound like Marvel bro does not think your system is up to standard. Good to share and learn more from other parties. But Marvel bro got no LP setup at the moment, he probably draws the LP experience from AE showroom as reference. If it is, then most system sucks. Don't worry.

You have the space, hands-on skills on LP. It is easy. Change speakers. I believe you are music lover, aim to set up a system to play music. You choose high eff Fal, single end wavac, raven, da vinci, tells me you want good music.

Voy, we all learn from each other, but not just one person here.

Jeff
  • Options
    My current listening area in Puxi is about 16ft x 34ft x 10ft. With a lot of "warm" furniture. I like FAL very much in terms of its "openess" and seamless continuity across the whole frequency range. Its air motion tweeter is unique and I prefer it to the old EU (based on my very first experience half year back).

Jeff, I agree with your observation. I just want good and involving music. My limitated experience tells me that it can be more easily achieved through "Valves" and high efficiency speakers. So, horning EU is definitely a target.

Got to spend more time to finetune the TT setup.

Bigpiece
    ps. Marvel bro is on his way back to HK. I believe he can share more upon return......
  • Options
    Bigpiece,

The air motion tweeter is very high quality tweeter. The openness of FAL depends on it, I believe. But the FAL has weak bass. The open sound of FAL without bass is not real full range open sound.

The tweeter on EU don't have the extension of the air motion. The EU has more correctness on timbre, which makes music real and touchable.

How far can you place the EU away the rear wall? 5 to 6 ft is ideal.

Hung
  • Options
    Big piece,

What cartridge are you using? Can you share more about your fine tuning experience?

Jeff