Skip to content
Options

833 的魅力

124»

Comments

• Options
    VR, the Wavac is not for you. I exactly know what you mean. That's why I belong to the Tidal camp.

Nothing really touches my heart in recent years. But for 08, the Vekian is on top of the list - a real surprise and shock.

There are two others that I have strong anticipation: The Horning Algame and the upcoming FMR interconnects from Argento which will surpass the EE. My sources inform me the connector this time is proprietarily design and manufacture in house , no more sourcing from Bocchino. The weight of the cable is a lot lighter for easier connection). Ulrik Madsen said, "this is the best cable Argento has ever made".
  • Options
    The Tron Telstar 211 stereo amp is now in the HK AIrport. This is the amp that Ken Chiu and I have been waiting for more than 1 year. Graham Tricker built the prototype 18 months ago. At that time, many thought it is a production version. In fact, it was immediately sold after an audio fair in the US. Ever since, there is no sign of it until today.

If we compare the photo of this version with the prototype, we will see there are only 5 transformers now instead of 7 in the past. Graham's philosphy always want to deliver more with less components, reducing only to quality and necessity. Right now, I believe there are two input stage transformers, one interstage transformer and two output stage transformers. The size of the transformer is also larger than the production version.

He commented the final production version is "miles" better than the prototype due to elegance of the renewed circuit design. Getting the circuit right takes him more time than to build the amp. The Telstar is rated 12 watt pure Class A measured at speaker binding post terminal. I believe the Kondo Ongaku is 27watt but in Class AB mode. I am not sure what will be the driving power like but of course it will definitely not be able to compare with Wavac 833 and Mr.Zanden's proprietary Model Wilson 211 push -pull mono block.

I believe we should appreciate smaller power amp from another perspective. The Tron syren is here waiting anxiously for the Telstar. When time permits, I can do a roadshow of the Tron combo to match with various speakers. I believe it will be fun.
  • Options
    12watt挑150watt?
  • Options
    VR, thank you very much.
  • Options
    I was about to call you. It is definitely worth the wait. I can't forget the voices coming from your system. My wife is totally amazed by the sound of this amp. It sounds like music.
  • Options
    Damn!
  • Options
    Why damn yourself? Be reponsible to your own decision.
  • Options
    I think the trans are 2x output, 2x interstage and 1xpower trans if there are only 5, and I think there are still other trans(much more smaller in size) hidden under the chassis for purpose of rectification. The Ongaku is a type AB amp with several dbs negative feedback, that's not the original design, the neg feedback was included later due to special orders by their customers who were complaining about its lack of overall control on less efficient spk systems. Judging from the power output of the Tron211, the 211 tubes can safely opeated under 1000Volts(max 1500Volts) . And I guess (only guess) the Tron 211 is happy with efficient speakers, Cessaro may not be its cup of tea.Owners of this amp should seriously consider the WE242B/C which are drop-in repllacemens for any GE or RCA 211's.I missed a chance listening to the WE 242 tubes during the time I owned the Ongaku, I still regret until now. MatthewC, the chance is still open to you, don't miss it.
  • Options
    Indeed.

There is also the small matter of WE422 as rectifier for the Ongaku. A 12AY7-6900-WE242C-WE422 setup can be very interesting indeed. But I am still very very happy with my Gakuoh.... Still a bit shocked by the 1950's 300B - 274A experience....

Is the Tron tube rectified?
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options

And the tubes are? What rectifier tubes? input/driver tubes?
  • Options
    6c45 x 2 for Driver
    211 x 2 for Power
    5U4GB x 2 for tube rectification
  • Options
    MatthewC,
    I've tried the WE422A in the Gakuoh, its not better than the Cossor 53KU and no way near the WE274B. I don't hve the spec of the 6C45 in hand, so don't know if it acts as a first stage voltage driver or a small power tube used to drive the interstage trans, either way, there is still an amplification stage missing or the missing part is done by transistors.I have not heard this 211 amp, I think the sound will be very very pure, not the way as the Ongaku does.
  • Options

Ptsang,

You tried 4x 274B w/ the Ongaku, but not the 242C????
  • Options
    MatthewC,
    I have not tried 4x274B in my Ongaku because I don't have a matched quad though my collection of WE274 is over 20.
    I have not tried the WE242C in my Ongaku because I was stupid and a bit pissed by the salesman whose lack of flexibility made me angry, I still regret, its a lifetime chance.